• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Comic Expo 2017
3 3

178 posts in this topic

I liked this girl, she was thrilled that I actually knew who she was and rewarded me with this wondrous pose. She said everyone was calling her Black Widow. She looks fantastic here as compared to the cover of New Mutants 98. Is Leifeld that bad?

IMG_0601.JPG

Edited by Artboy99

I think this was my favorite. She was very pretty. I had to go to the washroom and I followed her into the other hall that had all the celebrities in it for the photo ops and signings as that was the closest washroom. She interacted well with the show attendees especially the little kids that flocked to the Pink Power Ranger. She would let the little kids hold her power thingy and was generally very pleasant.

IMG_0589.JPG

Edited by Artboy99

And speaking of that washroom in the Celebrity Hall:

they played classical music in there which is kinda strange. It was an interesting experience to have to go, and then enjoy the go listening to the thundering and dramatically powerful music of Carl Orf. You can listen to it here in one of my favorite movies. The charge of the horses is somewhat symbolic of my business. Perhaps TMI:

An interesting observation I *just* made watching this video( embarrassed to admit this because I pride myself on my attention to detail ).

In the movie, Arthur is injured and wasting away, and the land is withering with him. Crops have died, the land is no longer workable. The quest for the holy grail restores Arthur, who rides out with his Knights to battle the evil Modred. As he rides out as King once more, the land is revived and is shown in the video above as flowers bloom again, the grass becomes green again. Arthur and the land are indeed one.

I never noticed that before and I have watched that movie literally 50 times over 30 some years. Very cool.

Edited by Artboy99

24 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

And speaking of that washroom in the Celebrity Hall:

they played classical music in there which is kinda strange. It was an interesting experience to have to go, and then enjoy the go listening to the thundering and dramatically powerful music of Carl Orf. You can listen to it here in one of my favorite movies. The charge of the horses is somewhat symbolic of my business. Perhaps TMI:

An interesting observation I *just* made watching this video( embarrassed to admit this because I pride myself on my attention to detail ).

In the movie, Arthur is injured and wasting away, and the land is withering with him. Crops have died, the land is no longer workable. The quest for the holy grail restores Arthur, who rides out with his Knights to battle the evil Modred. As he rides out as King once more, the land is revived and is shown in the video above as flowers bloom again, the grass becomes green again. Arthur and the land are indeed one.

I never noticed that before and I have watched that movie literally 50 times over 30 some years. Very cool.

I agree the music was surreal considering the masses of people outside the bathrooms. That said, the Mosart et al. was very calming...

I understand they had record attendance for the 3+ day show ( over 95,000). 

2 minutes ago, piper said:

I agree the music was surreal considering the masses of people outside the bathrooms. That said, the Mosart et al. was very calming...

I understand they had record attendance for the 3+ day show ( over 95,000). 

I am pretty sure 2 years ago was well over 100,000.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

I am pretty sure 2 years ago was well over 100,000.

Misread the email.... See excerpt below:

It feels like we made history this weekend. We have over 95 thousand people through the doors over the last four days. Thank you for making it another incredible show!

It's safe to say that this year's Calgary Expo was one of our best ever. From record attendance numbers Thursday, to the best POW! Parade Of Wonders ever (2500 cosplayers and 12,500 spectators!), to comic book history made on our stage today with Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane, to a gut-busting show with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, we thank you from the bottom of our happy hearts. We couldn't do this show without you.

1 minute ago, piper said:

Misread the email.... See excerpt below:

It feels like we made history this weekend. We have over 95 thousand people through the doors over the last four days. Thank you for making it another incredible show!

It's safe to say that this year's Calgary Expo was one of our best ever. From record attendance numbers Thursday, to the best POW! Parade Of Wonders ever (2500 cosplayers and 12,500 spectators!), to comic book history made on our stage today with Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane, to a gut-busting show with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, we thank you from the bottom of our happy hearts. We couldn't do this show without you.

Explains why Thursday was one of the best days for sales at the show ( as per my co-horts since I was not there. )

Saturday was the day I was also to deliver a couple of commissions requested by a customer the last time I was in Calgary in March. The commissions were the reason I drove to Dave's place on the Wednesday: they needed to be at the Expo as my customer had bought a ticket to attend the show to pick them up.

Glad I was there to see him and deliver them in person as he has requested a few more.

I really liked this one:

Marvel%20Treasury%20back%20recreation_zp

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've always wanted to go to a Canadian show, this one looks like fun with some great buying available 

I love the show but one can't compare it to a NY, Baltimore, or Chicago.

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've always wanted to go to a Canadian show, this one looks like fun with some great buying available 

Ranked as the 12th biggest in the world

http://overmental.com/content/22-biggest-geek-culture-conventions-in-the-world-170/2

We always have a great time setting up at this show.  It's big and there's a lot to see and we go out as a group every night for dinner.

You can also combine it with a visit to Banff National Park which is about an hour from Calgary-one of the most beautiful places in North America and you'll really enjoy the 35% premium of your US buck.

banff.jpeg

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Please do, and stop by our booth and have some fun.

I will, as I gotta fill my loonie jar to buy some nice comics! :nyah:

27 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

How do you guys keep track of who owns partial of what books?  I'd have no clue who owns what after a couple days and a handful of beers.

Every book is properly priced and labelled.

The easiest way is that we assume everything in our booth is jointly owned unless it has a personal label with your name on it. If it is not my book and a customer is asking about it, I let Dave handle it.

It is actually relatively easy, as the only books that we have in the booth that are not joint are more likely valuable / keys. We also established a value: anything $100 or less is joint. If you want to keep a book that value then don't have it at the show or write your name on the price label.

As we accumulate books it is simple to ask your partner if he wants in. I recently bought a small collection of about 80 books. The books were all dollar books with the exception of one book: an Xmen 94. Once acquired I asked Dave if he wanted in, he said yes and gave me the money. Or, since we are both buying books all the time we keep track of who owes what. It isn't actually that hard, and having mostly joint books has made the selling stage so much easier. I never want to go back to what we were doing before.

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Every book is properly priced and labelled.

The easiest way is that we assume everything in our booth is jointly owned unless it has a personal label with your name on it. If it is not my book and a customer is asking about it, I let Dave handle it.

It is actually relatively easy, as the only books that we have in the booth that are not joint are more likely valuable / keys. We also established a value: anything $100 or less is joint. If you want to keep a book that value then don't have it at the show or write your name on the price label.

As we accumulate books it is simple to ask your partner if he wants in. I recently bought a small collection of about 80 books. The books were all dollar books with the exception of one book: an Xmen 94. Once acquired I asked Dave if he wanted in, he said yes and gave me the money. Or, since we are both buying books all the time we keep track of who owes what. It isn't actually that hard, and having mostly joint books has made the selling stage so much easier. I never want to go back to what we were doing before.

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad you are on the mend.  Sounds like your set up keeps things interesting and reminds me of my first joint collection as a kid with my brother.  Glad you guys have such good relationships you can make it work since I'm sure it keeps the daily grind being fun.

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Ranked as the 12th biggest in the world

http://overmental.com/content/22-biggest-geek-culture-conventions-in-the-world-170/2

We always have a great time setting up at this show.  It's big and there's a lot to see and we go out as a group every night for dinner.

You can also combine it with a visit to Banff National Park which is about an hour from Calgary-one of the most beautiful places in North America and you'll really enjoy the 35% premium of your US buck.

banff.jpeg

:takeit:

count me in for next year

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

:takeit:

count me in for next year

Piper is right though, while you'll generally see dealers you've never seen before the dealer inventory is nowhere near as good as a big US show.  There's a couple Montreal dealers, couple from British Columbia, one from Ottawa, Harley Yee, and a bunch from Alberta.