• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant size book grading

6 posts in this topic

Giant size book grading

I recently purchased a Silver Surfer #1 on eBay in a CGC 6.0

I have a few annuals and giant size books but all of them are in low grade and not key issues so I payed little attention to grading them. 

I have many silver age books in the 4.0-6.0 range and after receiving my SS 1 I am not quite sure about the grade It's in. I searched around and the only thing I can find is that Giant size books or square cut books seem to be graded differently then a regular stapled comic, due to the way they are produced.

If any one on the boards could clear this up and explain how Giant Size books are graded I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if some one could look at my book and let me know if it looks over graded or it's just me.

Here is the front and back, I tried to get good pictures of it but it's hard due to the size of the slab.

hRPYr73.jpg

aeJK1bP.jpg

Giant size books are subject to slightly different defects, mainly due to the staples. Poking through cover is a common occurrence. Also, there can be splits on the spine of front cover and back covers, technically 4 splits if edge of spine is intact. Pieces missing along end of spine is also a common defect which will expose the multiple wraps. 

On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎09 at 0:36 AM, Tony S said:

The book does not look overgraded to me.  6.0 seems spot on. 

I can see why it got a 6.0, the top of the book is rather nice as is the left side. Most of the issues are on the right side and bottom. I would put the book at getting 5.5, but the 6.0 is close enough.

I have been looking at other SS #1 books in 6.0 and they seem to look similar.

I think its because it is a black cover and a square bound book. That is the reason why it was throwing me off.

That and the fact that there is a large accumulation of defects instead of fewer, large notable ones.

Edited by grayzr