• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs higher grade

17 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Guess it might depend on the book. Just going with GPA the answer would generally be go with the 8.0. 

Thank you. I was looking at Giant Size X-Men #1

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Guess it might depend on the book. Just going with GPA the answer would generally be go with the 8.0. 

I've gotta say that people hold way too much emphasis on the page quality. I have had books with beautiful white pages come back from CGC cream\off white, and I've had cream\off white come back white pages. Right then I realized PQ is worthless.

So if the pages aren't tan and brittle I would go for the higher grade, assuming the book looks nicer than the 7.5 .

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I've gotta say that people hold way too much emphasis on the page quality. I have had books with beautiful white pages come back from CGC cream\off white, and I've had cream\off white come back white pages. Right then I realized PQ is worthless.

So if the pages aren't tan and brittle I would go for the higher grade, assuming the book looks nicer than the 7.5 .

But the same inconsistency can be said about the grade itself. The 7.5 may be an 8.0 on a resubmit. Why pay more for the 8.0 ? Assuming both the grade and the Page Quality are 'accurate', I would go for the 7.5 White. I have gotten many a bargain, in auction, with a 7.5 purchase. Collectors seem to want a minimal 8.0 but the 7.5 can often be just as nice, even having better eye appeal. Go for the book that looks better to you and if it's a coin flip, choose the 7.5 White.

7 hours ago, Frankpicou said:

I was thinking the white pages would hold value in the long run over the higher grade.

You also need to consider that the white pages may not remain white over time. How/where you store the books is important in maintaining the PQ (of course the LABEL won't change but the PQ may and if the book ever gets re-graded then the PQ may change)

Not sure if you have read this article but its very interesting.

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/by-the-numbers/does-page-color-matter/

For myself personally if the 8.0 looks better then the 7.5 and has bright vivid

colors, I would go for the 8.0 all day. If it had been Cream to off-white it would be a harder choice, especially on a bronze book.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

You also need to consider that the white pages may not remain white over time. How/where you store the books is important in maintaining the PQ (of course the LABEL won't change but the PQ may and if the book ever gets re-graded then the PQ may change)

Very true, but again, the same can be said about the grade itself.  Books can get damaged in the slab. Books can get SCS in the slab. Pressed books can return to their pre-pressed state. Nothing like buying an 8.0 and seeing it deteriorate into a 7.0 while in the slab. 

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Very true, but again, the same can be said about the grade itself.  Books can get damaged in the slab. Books can get SCS in the slab. Pressed books can return to their pre-pressed state. Nothing like buying an 8.0 and seeing it deteriorate into a 7.0 while in the slab. 

100%

I generally go for the better PQ, but if the book with the higher grade (albeit lower PQ) looks markedly better, I'd go for that. I once "upgraded" to a 8.5 W from a 9.0 OW and to me, it really felt like an upgrade.  

The older the book, the more I'm tolerate of lower PQ, of course.  

On 5/3/2017 at 1:55 AM, Frankpicou said:

White pages vs higher grade

What is more desirable, an 8.0 with OW/W pages or a 7.5 with white pages?

I personally like the 7.5 white (pending other defects). Assuming both copies are near identical, then I'd take the white pager. 

On 5/3/2017 at 9:16 AM, oakman29 said:

Thats an excellent observation. I have come across this by watching cougar comics on youtube. He unslabs a lot of books and some that are marked cream look better then off white etc. If the cover is not noticeably tanned and the edges of the pages look decent its more of a personal preference wether you want the label to say white pages or not.

32 minutes ago, grayzr said:

Thats an excellent observation. I have come across this by watching cougar comics on youtube. He unslabs a lot of books and some that are marked cream look better then off white etc. If the cover is not noticeably tanned and the edges of the pages look decent its more of a personal preference wether you want the label to say white pages or not.

Regarding the implied inaccuracy of CGC's PQ designation, please keep in mind that the PQ can deteriorate in the slab. Store a slabbed book in the wrong environment environment, closet, attic, garage, etc. and the White pages can turn, just like a raw book.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Regarding the implied inaccuracy of CGC's PQ designation, please keep in mind that the PQ can deteriorate in the slab. Store a slabbed book in the wrong environment environment, closet, attic, garage, etc. and the White pages can turn, just like a raw book.

That is true. In one of this videos he cracks a gen 1 holder with cream pages that looks better then a gen 2 ow-wps.