• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-American 61 on the bay in the raw
1 1

30 posts in this topic

All-American 61 on the bay in the raw

It'll be interesting to see what price this goes for. Looks to be about a 1.8-2.0 just eyeballing the pics. Spine split past the bottom staple, some kind of moisture damage, writing on the cover, foxing, cover might be completely off the book. Edges of the pages look brittle as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-American-Comics-61-Rare-and-hard-to-find-/272652274281?hash=item3f7b578a69:g:6zsAAOSwrhBZBlSq

Be VERY careful with ebay auctions like this... I've had some real bad luck lately with similar auctions. A seller might be hesitant to put a grade on it but a little description of it's faults and strengths would be a good idea.  We don't even know if it is complete. No returns doesn't mean much any more but since ebay and paypal have split, it's a lot harder to get your money back if necessary. I've been battling a sloppy seller like this for a couple of weeks and no refund to date..

Great book but the price and lack of questions makes me wonder if buyers are not going into this with blinders on.

I always ask how many pages to make sure at least it is complete.  Just recently a seller had a GA book on ebay and when I asked about page count, I found out the CF was missing.  I told seller who thanked me and ended the auction but I also told her the book was still desirable as long as she noted the missing CF in the description.   It closed at $233.50 just  a few days ago.  The book was Speed Comics #34 and I told her she should change the description title to include WWII Alex Schomburg Cover which she did - her original didn't have any of that except it being WWII.  I also pointed her to the GCD for information about the issue.

It was nice she ended the auction quickly, took some advice and still made more than she could have imagined.  Comics were not her usual ebay listings.

So always ask about page count.  The first thing I do if I buy a raw is count the pages.

Edited by telerites
typo

wouldnt touch this book.  especially not for where it will end.  no interior photos, the cover looks pretty gnarly... i could see it having stains, brittle pages and who knows what else maybe going on under the cover.

The added pictures indicate PQ looks pretty nice, which is probably helping the price, but even with a much needed press, I don't see this book as more than a 2.0 with that colored in logo. It's about triple what one would have expected to see just three or four years ago, but that's not uncommon for top classic covers. And compared to the copies listed by a Canadian seller, it looks like a bargain. 

Sweet Christmas 4K!!!!!!!! I think even a 2 maybe high with the stains, rips, and pieces missing. CGC is now giving out 0.5s for complete books these days. The bottom left where the spine is split looks like it may be a tad delicate so we can just assume a Slightly brittle isnt out of the realm of possibility as they are tacking it on for even the smallest spots who knows. Big money for sure. I wonder if the writing is pencil or what and if the buyer assumes it is and can be removed? I hope it shows up again some day so we can see the final results 

38 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Is this the market or another eBay crazy sale?!

My copy was just under 3k three years ago and I like it a hell of lot more than that copy!!

IMG_0999.JPG

What a beauty!!! My gut says outlier but at the same time i think the book will continue to see upward movement as long as the market isn't surprisingly flooded. It doesn't pop up that often but I don't think it's rare it's just not a book folks are parting with although with sales like this you would have to assume a few could surface. There are almost 40 Universal copies on the census. I've made it well known how much I adore it and while i do have a horse in the race i'm not gonna start pounding mint juleps just yet over this 1 sale 

25 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

What a beauty!!! My gut says outlier but at the same time i think the book will continue to see upward movement as long as the market isn't surprisingly flooded. It doesn't pop up that often but I don't think it's rare it's just not a book folks are parting with although with sales like this you would have to assume a few could surface. There are almost 40 Universal copies on the census. I've made it well known how much I adore it and while i do have a horse in the race i'm not gonna start pounding mint juleps just yet over this 1 sale 

I saw a 1.8 at C2E2 in 2014 for over 5k and it sold.

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

Is this the market or another eBay crazy sale?!

My copy was just under 3k three years ago and I like it a hell of lot more than that copy!!

IMG_0999.JPG

That's a lovely 4.5. Heritage sold a few copies in 2013/14  for what actually seems kind of cheap  ( $500-600 a point), considering this books long term status as one of the greatest DC villain covers ever, but then you could pick up a lot a classic covers for those kind of prices back then. All kinds of villain covers are hot, so it wouldn't surprise me to see this one going for 2 or 3 times what it did just a few years ago. That said, I think there was probably a bit of ebay craziness due to the fact that a copy may not have been available for a while, except for the sky high priced ones that sit there.  For  a long time this book ran at least twice what a Tec 69  would cost, and look where that book is now. 

9 hours ago, Diamonddave said:

I saw a 1.8 at C2E2 in 2014 for over 5k and it sold.

REALLY!!!!!?!!!! Well i guess my horse in the race is looking a LOT better than i expected!! Good news thanks for sharing that!!

2 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

REALLY!!!!!?!!!! Well i guess my horse in the race is looking a LOT better than i expected!! Good news thanks for sharing that!!

You wouldn't have any problem getting in the $3k-5k range for your copy pretty quickly. Classic cover and with so few coming up recently there are a lot of people looking for a copy. I have been looking for a copy for a while and really kicking myself for not picking one up a few years back.

24 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, just wow! Here's mine. I really had not kept up with pricing on it. I should probably have it graded but, It's one of my favorite DC's and I actually like to pull it out and read it once in a while. At this point, I have NO idea what it's worth.

comallamerican61a_zpsppelg5cb.jpg

Pretty book, any interest in parting with it?