• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submissions at Comicons or LCS

8 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but I haven't found it.  For the submission through the comic store/authorized dealer, I take it they ship the book?  Do they charge for that?  Do the books get shipped back to them, or to you?

Also, it's not listed as an option, but I think I read here you can submit for grading at a comicon, is that right?  Is it just presecreening, or do you drop them off and then they are shipped back?

Thanks

I've only shipped through one LCS, so I don't know if my experience is typical, or whether they have latitude under their submission privileges. But yes my LCS packages it, does not mark up cost, and receives the books back at the shop, where I pick up. He says he gets a free submission for every "X" number that he sends in; I forget how many. Seems like a bargain for the service he provides, which includes expertise from seeing so many before/after submissions. 

52 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but I haven't found it.  For the submission through the comic store/authorized dealer, I take it they ship the book?  Do they charge for that?  Do the books get shipped back to them, or to you?

Also, it's not listed as an option, but I think I read here you can submit for grading at a comicon, is that right?  Is it just presecreening, or do you drop them off and then they are shipped back?

Thanks

Yes the LCS will pack and ship and if they're experienced could be worth it, since they may get perks for the more they send, they may only charge you what they are charged. In that case it would be shipped back to them, but they would be able to inform you how long it should take and may feel up to giving you updates provided they're not too busy.

If you drop off at a con, they will do the same but ship back to YOU. They may be less available for updates, but you could always call CGC and tell them the facilitator that you submitted through and provided CGC has already recieved the book (don't call too soon shipping varies) they'll update you on the status of your book.

15 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I've only shipped through one LCS, so I don't know if my experience is typical, or whether they have latitude under their submission privileges. But yes my LCS packages it, does not mark up cost, and receives the books back at the shop, where I pick up. He says he gets a free submission for every "X" number that he sends in; I forget how many. Seems like a bargain for the service he provides, which includes expertise from seeing so many before/after submissions. 

He gets a 20% discount on the grading fees - I guess that would add up to a "free" submission for every 5 books he submits ...

5 hours ago, mschmidt said:

He gets a 20% discount on the grading fees - I guess that would add up to a "free" submission for every 5 books he submits ...

Cool, thx! 

Guess whether it's worth it depends on how much help your LCS is and how much you need. If you have the time (for forms and shipping etc) and are confident in your own grading and how it reflects cgc's grading, maybe get a membership and save the $$ yourself. But if time and grading are an issue, the LCS may be worth it.

But know that if you get a membership and choose to submit through the LCS, you do not get your discount. Your explanation is likely why. 

CGC's middle tier cost about $150, but you also get $150 in credit towards submissions. I think you should look at this option and think about subbing on your own to get a discount.

this also lets you better keep track of where in the process your submission is. Had a friend who turned in 2 books to a LCS for them to send to CGC, after 2-3 months of hearing nothing but they are at CGC, he asked for them back and next think you know next weekend they returned them ungraded.