• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 1
1 1

12 posts in this topic

it would have to be cracked out and examined raw. If successful, scraping off CT could result in paper loss and a drop in the grade. Depends on how much CT there is.  I'm guessing the CT, is along the spine near the "H"?

Edited by Primetime

You are buying this book simply to try and profit off a CT removal ? IMO, not worth the risk. First, you don't know how much CT needs to be removed. Small, in CGC terms, can mean many locations. Chances are the current owner already checked into this and that's why it is still in the purple label.

17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are buying this book simply to try and profit off a CT removal ? IMO, not worth the risk. First, you don't know how much CT needs to be removed. Small, in CGC terms, can mean many locations. Chances are the current owner already checked into this and that's why it is still in the purple label.

Amen! :applause:

On 5/4/2017 at 11:21 PM, Saleen333 said:

Yes even if it drop a grade wouldn't it be worth more with a blue label?

If the CT has bled through, then it can't be removed without doing major damage to the book.  The area of the cover where the CT is would have to be cut away.  The end result  would likely be so unsightly that the book would be likely to sell for less even in a blue label, with a very low grade. Then, of course, you have to take into account the cost of the resto removal -- if you could find someone to do it.  My impression is that CCS and similar services turn away resto removal work if it requires cutting away pieces of the cover.

On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎04 at 10:30 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree.

I have held a book in hand that had "small amount of color touch" that was literally the entire spine of the book. CGC uses the word small very loosely.

It also depends how the color touch is applied. Is it painted on and removable or is it ink that seeped through the book which then is not removable.

Like others have said it is a risk.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree.

I have held a book in hand that had "small amount of color touch" that was literally the entire spine of the book. CGC uses the word small very loosely.

It also depends how the color touch is applied. Is it painted on and removable or is it ink that seeped through the book which then is not removable.

Like others have said it is a risk.

Come to think of it, the label almost always says 'Small' CT = just a generic entry.  

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Come to think of it, the label almost always says 'Small' CT = just a generic entry.  

Yep, I have seen labels without the word small which just scares me as to how much color touch that could be O.o

C is the worst so it is probably a poor amateur job. I would say don't buy it if you are thinking or removing the ct. Buy it if you like how it looks for your collection.

The New Restoration Scale

Quality (Aesthetic) Scale  (Determined by materials used and visual quality of work)

A (Excellent)

• Material used: rice paper, wheat paste, acrylic or water color, leafcasting
  • Color match near perfect, no bleed through
  • Piece fill seamless and correct thickness
  • No fading, excessive whiteness, ripples, cockling, or ink smudges from cover or interior cleaning
  • Book feels natural
  • Near perfect staple alignment, or replaced exactly as they were
  • Filled edges cut to look natural and even
  • Cleaned staples or staples replaced with vintage staples
  • Married cover/pages match in size and page quality. Professionally attached

B (Fine)

• Material used: pencil, crayon, chalk, re-glossing agent, piece fill from cadavers
  • Piece fill obvious upon close inspection, obvious to the touch
  • Color touch obvious upon close inspection, or done with materials listed above
  • Cover cleaning resulting in slight color fading or excessively white
  • Interior cleaning resulting in slight puffiness, cockling, excessively white
  • Enlarged staple holes, obviously crooked staples, or backwards staple insertion
  • Replaced staples not vintage
  • Married cover/pages do not match in size and/or page quality. Professionally attached

C (Poor)

• Material used: glue, pen, marker, white out, white paper to fill missing pieces
  • Piece fill obvious at arm’s length
  • Bad color matching, use of pen or marker. Bleed through evident
  • Cover cleaning resulting in washed out/speckled colors, moderate cockling and/or ripples
  • New staple holes created upon reinsertion, or non-comic book staples used
  • Trimming of any kind
  • Married cover/pages poorly attached with non-professional materials