• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes a character hot?

29 posts in this topic

In all seriousness, I think that what makes a character "hot" or popular is the creative team assigned to the character which leads to proper character development.

Think about it: Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine, Harley Quinn... All characters which took at least a decade to grow on us.. It usually takes time. 

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

In all seriousness, I think that what makes a character "hot" or popular is the creative team assigned to the character which leads to proper character development.

Think about it: Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine, Harley Quinn... All characters which took at least a decade to grow on us.. It usually takes time. 

Punisher was popular from the very start. Fans wanted him back asap. But I agree 100% the writing and evolution is what takes these characters to the next level.

Just now, grayzr said:

Punisher was popular from the very start. Fans wanted him back asap. But I agree 100% the writing and evolution is what takes these characters to the next level.

So was wolverine. But it took over a decade for them to get their own series. They both hit big once the mini's hit the shelves. Asm129 went from a 2$ book to a 20$ book almost immediately after the mini series

Even a rumor of a DC or Marvel character appearing in a movie will make a character hot. e.g. The Watcher(s) appear in GotG volume 2 movie, and Watcher may be Stan, the man, Lee, thus early SA FF with 1st app. of Watcher starts hopping up. :wishluck:

On 5/5/2017 at 6:07 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Do you or does anyone else see any characters now that have the potential to break out like Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine, or Harley Quinn did?

hm

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Do you or does anyone else see any characters now that have the potential to break out like Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine, or Harley Quinn did?

hm

It's sad, because as others have mentioned here, what usually makes a character "hot" nowadays, and for a very short period of time, is the licensing of him/her to a movie/tv show, then in come the speculators and assume that the character will be the next Walking Dead. Fools. 

Those optioned characters will never be the next big thing because there are no current comic sales that reflect reader interest  

marvel seems to gravitate towards current demographics and promoting their movies shows in their titles, which means you get more focus on ms Marvel and spider Gwen as well as keeping the flame hot on all their licensed properties which currently have movies/shows in development and of course Star Wars. The last character that had an innovative team assigned to it and created renewed interest with readers was Aja/Fraction's Hawkeye. But because the current market seem to care more about movie spec titles it would never give a character like Hawkeye the chance to cross from a C-D lister to an A list character.