• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Avengers #1 September 1963

21 posts in this topic

The Avengers #1 September 1963

Hi everyone!  Please assist with helping me grade and determine the value of this comic.  It has no tears, lies flat, no missing pages, no writing on it - virtually no flaws other than the age.  I want to get it graded and restored as much a possible to its original condition.  Thanks, Eric

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I think if you were to have it pressed/dry cleaned you'd get a solid 5.0.  As a side note, if I had this book I wouldn't let anyone restore anything.  This is a beauty as it sits!

While it can certainly use a press, I don't see the benefit to a dry cleaning. Other than some stains, the book does not appear to be 'dirty'. What do you guys see ? 

Vertical reading spine crease, numerous spine stress marks, vertical crease right edge fc, soiling bottom edge, bc has some light tanning to the top/bottom edges,and tiny top/bottom edge tears.  Colors are absolutely bright and vibrant and I would venture to guess ow to white pages!  Gorgeous copy and solid 4.5 to 5.0 book! (thumbsu With a press, maybe 5.5 hm

Thank for everyone's feedback.  Everyone has great "eyes." I would consider sending it to CCS for a press.  The CCS submission form asked for a declared value - What would be legit value? Thanks, Eric

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

While it can certainly use a press, I don't see the benefit to a dry cleaning. Other than some stains, the book does not appear to be 'dirty'. What do you guys see ? 

You're right, there really isn't much to clean.  I always lump the two together since CFP, Avery and CCS have dry cleaning as an inherent part of their process.

5.0 with press/clean. 4.5 without. Maybe 5.5 if it comes out stronger than though but would assume 5.0.

Also it does have writing on it, 7/1 is written above title just hard to read.

59 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

5.0 with press/clean. 4.5 without. Maybe 5.5 if it comes out stronger than though but would assume 5.0.

Arrival dates do not affect the grade 

17 hours ago, kryptospidey said:
18 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Arrival dates do not affect the grade 

I wasnt making down for it either. OP just said had no writing, was only pointing out it did have it.