• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tales #19 CGC 6.0 Over $2K?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Very surprising to me. I understand that it's a recently hot book, but for me, it's just "meh?". There are a lot of other PCH books that are higher on my want list for a lot less. 

Just my 2 cents, mind you; your mileage may vary.

33 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

Very surprising to me. I understand that it's a recently hot book, but for me, it's just "meh?". There are a lot of other PCH books that are higher on my want list for a lot less. 

Just my 2 cents, mind you; your mileage may vary.

I actually thought it has been hot for several years.

I'm not that surprised. It's one of those Atlas horror books that goes for well over guide in any condition, and at 6.0, slabbed copies of high demand Atlas PCH can often go for 3 or 4 times what a VG copy might, sometimes more. 

Yes, I'm going to be that guy and ask why this is posted in the Silver Age forum??

Having said that, I agree with IngelsFan above. Not sure why this particular issue has gotten hot. 

9 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Yes, I'm going to be that guy and ask why this is posted in the Silver Age forum??

Having said that, I agree with IngelsFan above. Not sure why this particular issue has gotten hot. 

To be fair you cant really call this Golden Age. I've always wondered what you call these 'tween-er books. I don't like atomic age because, well, its theme specific. I think on some level for these 'tween books you have to judge it based on its side. If its dimensions are closer to that of the average Golden Age or Silver Age, that's where you go with it.

22 hours ago, zhamlau said:
On 5/8/2017 at 6:10 AM, Jeffro. said:

To be fair you cant really call this Golden Age. I've always wondered what you call these 'tween-er books. I don't like atomic age because, well, its theme specific. I think on some level for these 'tween books you have to judge it based on its side. If its dimensions are closer to that of the average Golden Age or Silver Age, that's where you go with it.

Atomic Age isn't theme specific. It's a time period. I also can't consider anything pre-code top be Silver Age. Just can't do it.

49 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Atomic Age isn't theme specific. It's a time period. I also can't consider anything pre-code top be Silver Age. Just can't do it.

Atomic Age is a pretty perfect term also if you consider the fact that the Golden Age ends at the end of WWII. The end of WWII is the start of the Atomic Age/Cold War in the real world. Then, in comics, that age leads right up to the early Silver Age, where most of Marvel's stable has atomic radiation as a catalyst in some form or another. It's the ideal term for the bridge between the GA & SA.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:
23 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I'm going to be that guy and say +1.

:sumo:

Meh, I see the argument for it. I just think of the term as tied to the atomic energy culture of post ww2 America. To me it seems tied to that techy optimistic kitsch of the era specifically. When it comes to horror books or Crime it feels off. Silver, Gold, Copper, Bronze. I get those. It indicates relative importance as well as age as well. When you name a new Era I want to keep it consitent with other naming conventions so thats another reason I bail on Atomic Age.

If you have to have a term for that post WW2 pre Cold War hysteria, Atomic is probably best I just feel its better to bend to gold or silver.

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Meh, I see the argument for it. I just think of the term as tied to the atomic energy culture of post ww2 America. To me it seems tied to that techy optimistic kitsch of the era specifically. When it comes to horror books or Crime it feels off. Silver, Gold, Copper, Bronze. I get those. It indicates relative importance as well as age as well. When you name a new Era I want to keep it consitent with other naming conventions so thats another reason I bail on Atomic Age.

If you have to have a term for that post WW2 pre Cold War hysteria, Atomic is probably best I just feel its better to bend to gold or silver.

The Post-War era (1946 - 1955) was a period in American History that gave rise to fears, anxieties, and uncertainties coinciding with the advent of the Atomic Age. This was due to the deleterious effects caused by atomic testing, McCarthyism, and the growing fears of Communism spreading throughout the world. The success of America's postwar economy did dot alleviate the fears and tensions many Americans had about the new Cold War- especially when the Soviet Union entered the Atomic Age in 1949. The bomb drills taking place throughout schools in America was one example of how Americans became familiar with a new fear that coincided with the Atomic Age:

aw1cgc65p700.jpg.56322e265011976b50ac6ed433ae2c66.jpg  

Edited by bronze johnny

I love the term Atomic Age as it applies to an era of comic books. It immediately conjures up images of the types of comics that were different than the typical Golden Age fare that came before it and the typical Silver Age fare that came after it.  

14 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I love the term Atomic Age as it applies to an era of comic books. It immediately conjures up images of the types of comics that were different than the typical Golden Age fare that came before it and the typical Silver Age fare that came after it.  

I can live with it as well......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus(thumbsu

The Atomic Age needs to have an its own forum- separate from the Golden Age. Too many collectors, especially newer ones think the Atomic Age is part of the Golden Age- it's not. 1946-1955 is a hell of a lot different than 1938- 1945. 

CGC needs to make this change someday. It's the right thing to do. 

Edited by bronze johnny

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

The Atomic Age needs to have an its own forum- separate from the Golden Age. Too many collectors, especially newer ones think the Atomic Age is part of the Golden Age- it's not. 1946-1955 is a hell of a lot different than 1938- 1945. 

I think the reason why it hasn't happened is that a lot of collectors don't consider Atomic Age to go back to '46, or that WWII is a prerequisite cut-off for GA proper. I, personally, end the GA in a couple of ways...... for super heros it's the last 52 pager...... for all others it's 1950 and the advent of EC .............. and I go with the CCA stamp for SA.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I think the reason why it hasn't happened is that a lot of collectors don't consider Atomic Age to go back to '46, or that WWII is a prerequisite cut-off for GA proper. I, personally, end the GA in a couple of ways...... for super heros it's the last 52 pager...... for all others it's 1950 and the advent of EC .............. and I go with the CCA stamp for SA.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Incredible Science Fiction 33 could be among the first SA books by your definition?

Edited by bronze johnny

4 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I'm a  big fan of the idea of transitional ages. I love the idea of Atomic coming between GA and SA and I love what is jokingly referred to as Cronze or Bropper as the transition between BA and CA.

What I would not be fond of is CGC having the only say on the creation of Atomic Age. It's not up to them solely

It seems to be the only sale in a while, at least on eBay. It's also 1 of 17 graded and the only 6.0 with 2 graded higher.

In today's day and age the guide is there simply as a novelty for most books.

That being said, I have to admit 13 times guide is shocking.