• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure BRONZE age characters 1st appearances
1 1

123 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Pretty obscure, but dating from 1968, so wouldn't that be in the Silver Age?  Was it ever explained why BPtG was cancelled after 2 issues in the days when it seemed like every other series was allowed to run for at least 6 issues, to give time for the sales figures to come through?

Another obscure first appearance was in Daredevil #128, which introduced Sky-Walker from Starron - the most startling character in the annals of Marveldom!

300?cb=20080808204446

It explains it on the WIKI page.  Something to do with one of the editors not liking the character due to it's sympathetic view of the hippie subculture.   You're right that it's not bronze but it's towards to latter part of the SA era.  It's still a cool obscure 1st appearance book.

Believe it our not this was one of the first Spiderman comics I bought right off the stands. Something about the Big Pig, RAZORBACK just screamed to me "BUY THIS COMIC, SON"! He's a really a great character and would love to see a return with new outfit and abilities.

9333558_f520.jpg

3 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

I remember seeing that issue. Was he ever part of Marvel continuity?

Oddly enough, yes. He was used many years later in the Marvel Western universe, at least. Someone can verify probably, but I believe he was killed off in a super hero book.

2 minutes ago, electricprune said:

That guy also graced the cover of Ghost Rider #12. Didn't know he was around prior to that.

He appeared in Incedible Hulk # 135, not on the cover though

IIRC, a former school headmaster heavily into corporal punishment.

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 hours ago, electricprune said:

Oddly enough, yes. He was used many years later in the Marvel Western universe, at least. Someone can verify probably, but I believe he was killed off in a super hero book.

It's odd that Marvel kills off these characters before their time.

For the longest time I never knew this was a Jack Kirby creation. Mainly because he did not do the cover. This is a very under-rated Jack Kirby creation and is actually very cool character. Also, issue 1's are EXTREMELY hard to find in true mint. It's that damned black cover.

dc-comics-kobra-issue-1.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme