• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The classic tale of new and expensive...

9 posts in this topic

The classic tale of new and expensive...

Whenever new collectibles are released and the prices are more than "regular price," we see the classic tale of new and expensive...

Who is going to be in this story?

Pros = Retailers who want to sell high, but ultimately need to recover their costs
Moneybags = Gotta-have-it-now collectors who need one and view non-ownership as worse than overpaying
Whinypants = Wait-it-out collectors who need one but view overpaying as worse than non-ownership
Luckyducks = Collectors who obtain one significantly cheaper than the Moneybags
Nannybooboos = Already have one and might only buy another if they can pay less than before

What is going to happen?

When relatively expensive collectibles are first released, only Pros and Moneybags are involved for a while.
Pros sell to Moneybags and that lowers the numbers of Pros and Moneybags in the market.
Pros move on and Moneybags become Nannybooboos.

There might be a couple Luckyducks at first, but only because they're lucky by definition.
Whinypants are everywhere, usually still mad about the pre-order prices.

Everything that has happened so far was always going to happen.  There are no surprises at first.

When there are more Pros than Moneybags, the price drops. 

When the Pros miss finding Moneybags, they lower the price hoping to tempt the Whinypants.
As the price starts falling, some of the Whinypants hope to become Luckyducks if they wait longer.
Other Whinypants go ahead and buy so they can become Nannybooboos.

Here's where it gets fun.  What happens next is hard to predict ahead of time...

When there are no more Pros, then the remaining Whinypants are stuck without one, and possibly there are even Moneybags without one.  The price will rise.
As time goes by, Whinypants can also become Moneybags through frustration.  At any time, new collectors can arrive and also be Moneybags or Whinypants.  The price can rise higher.

However, if there are always Pros and the Moneybags are gone and all that's left are Whinypants, then many of those Whinypants are safe to try to wait longer and become Luckyducks... and the price can just keep falling.

It is actually very unusual for the price to be stable for the whole time.  That would imply a perfect number were made and it would imply that Pros, Moneybags, and Whinypants all agreed on the same price.  Seems unlikely.  

No matter what happens, though, I think we can all agree we hate Luckyducks (unless we are one).

Man that gave me a great laugh, well done sir. 

I'm not a Pro, ONCE I was a Moneybags, I may have been a Whinypants a time or two, wish I could be more of a Luckyduck, and an not greedy enough to be a Nannybooboo.

I think I'm most consistently a Snobbysnob and I'm cool with that.