• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many titles do you collect ?

60 posts in this topic

I'm a big-time Spider-Man fan. I collected Fantastic Four, Conan, DareDevil, and Captain America when I wa a kid, then I got into Amazing Spider-Man.

I have complete NM or higher sets of Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man--with all annuals and giants.

I have all ASMs above 149 and a good number below that. Why can't I find an NM ASM 148?

I also collect items of interest that pop up...

God bless our troops and keep them safe--the Iraqi people as well!

Mike

That's a nice #126. I passed up on a 9.2 twice on ebay(don't even remember why, possibly due to bad timing with other purchases). One of those could be yours.....did you get it on ebay?

Journey Into Mystery/Thor (just started these, dunno if I want the whole run or not)

I like many JIM's, but I wouldn't go for the whole run unless you're willing to settle for some VF's. They're WAY too tough, as you already know. Try finding a #95 above 9.0. It's easily the toughest issue, even more than #84 or #85.

When I buy a book, it's for one of 3 purposes:

My "reading" run which consists of VF+ to VF/NM raw(obviously) books. This set includes a complete ASM #1-#150 set in those grades(missing #1, #2, #11 and a few others in grade, but have lower grade fillers). I also have Conan #1-24 in this collection, FF #44-#60, DD #12-20(Romita issues) and a whole bunch of mini runs I'm trying to put together like Neal Adams Batman issues and TOS 58-99. Most of the books I want wouldn't be hard to get on one single spree, but I tend to put more focus in my "Key" collection.

The Second is my "Key" collection which consists of my favorite single Silver Age issues, either because they are key or favorite/classic cover art. These range from lots of early marvel Silvers to some early bronze books and even a few moderns. This collection I care most about, and I try to get the nicest CGC copy I can(within limits). The list is huge, and is mostly in my head, but I know the books I want when I see them. Most of these books are Marvels.

And the third is the books I buy for eventual resale. At the moment, I do this mostly to earn extra cash for more books. If I know something is a good deal/steal, and cash flow is good at the time, I'll pick it up.

As for new stuff, I have a financial stake in consolidating diamond orders for other local dealers/collectors, so I have a whole bunch of multiples of new books every month that I own, but most are sold without me actually touching them. So technically I get hundreds of new books per month, but they're usually sold off before I even lay a finger on them. But the guy I work with who does the selling will pull copies of books aside for me he knows I want to read like USM, and I pick them up in one big lump sum every 6 months or so, which I like doing as it is better for reading purposes.

Whatever happened to that guy "Jack Burton of the Pork Chop Express"??? He was around during the dawn of the forum! I remember FF posting early on about his dislike for translucent covers... Ahh the good ol' years! Before all the bickering...

I ran into him on eBay a few months ago, I believe he is selling off the remains of an entire comic shop together with his brother and sister...Can't remember the eBay ID though frown.gif

And Jack Burton wasn't averse to starting a few memorable fights himself..

I remember a feud between him and some uptight Ad agency dude that got real ugly back in July...

Now Pimpy has switched to "Mudbuddah"!!! I was actually going to ask what happened to him? Anybody know?

Now that Chrom has "solved" the Jack Burton mystery, the next question is:

"WHERE IS MUDBUDDAH?" grin.gif

And, once again, you tha' man, Pimpy!

Chris

Uncle Scrooge

Donald Duck

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories

Mickey Mouse

Phantom

Magnus Robot Fighter (the old ones)

Turok, Son of Stone (the old ones)

Mostly looking for cheap reading copies of just about all of the above. Already have most of the higher grade stuff I want.

Agent X

Captain America

Cable

Generation-X

Marvel Team-Up

Ultimates

Ultimate Marvel Team up

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate War (may drop soon)

Wolverine

Weapon X

X-Factor

X-Force

X-treme X-men

X-Statix

also the Hulk/Wolverine, Wolverine/Hulk mini series'

and once I find some more time I may start hong kong fooey and magilla gorilla, good ole memories from my youth that have not been easy to find grin.gifcrazy.gif

Got the 126 from Heritage for $300 late last year and the 124 from E-Bay for $250 also late last year. The 126 is still visible on their site from I think the November auction, although I could be off by a month or two.

Well let me be a little more fair.

Tangled Web started off as one of Marvel's top 10 titles during the first 5 issues or so, and sunk to being in the bottom half of their titles quality-wise after that. The stories in 7 to 20 were a'ight, but nothing special, nothing worth $2.25 a month given the rest of the quality out there.

bumpit.gif

New:

The Goon

Ultimate Spider-man

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Back Issues:

HG BA keys (Marvel & DC)

HG 30 cent variants of selected titles

Selected double covers

Hopefully buying select SA keys in HG soon (ASM, TOS, FF)

Trades:

The Goon

The Preacher

Sin City

Marvel Masterworks SC (Barnes & Noble)

Ultimate Goals (someday many years from now):

TOS #39-#59 (VF-NM)

A pedigree copy of Iron Man #1 (NM)

All key BA Batman comics (VF-NM)

TOD #1-#10 (NM)

Hulk #1 (Fine)

ASM #1 (Fine)

Detective #31 (VG)

Chris Cormier Completionist Companion

Marvel

Amazing Spider-Man

Ultimate Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man - it's done

Spider-Man Knights

Uncanny X-Men

X-Men

Astonishing X-Men

Ultimate X-Men

Wolverine

Mystique - it's done

Supreme Power

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Knights 4

Excalibur

Distric X

Ultimates 2

Ultimate Iron Man

Thunderbolts

DC

Superman

Batman

Superman/Batman

JLA

Teen Titans

Y The Last Man

and almost every Ultimate mini or Spidey X-Men related for Marvel and Bats/Supes for DC , usually anything current, also get Doc Frankenstien and Cosmic Guard.

for back issues I am working on a complete run of ASM from 150 or so to current, almost done, the ASM from 410 - Vol two are a pain. Uncanny from about 94 to current and I'm saving for a low grade AF15, hopefully by WW Boston I will be set.

I collect a ton of different titles...

X-Men 1-300 (my big project, currenly working on 50-66 and Byrne issues)

every Punisher comic, one shot, GN, ect (my other big project)

Batman 217-?

Detective 380-?

Phantom Stranger 1-25

Green Lantern 76-89

Witching Hour 1-13

all DC 100 pagers

Super DC Giants

Ghosts 1-15

Weird War 1-12

House of Secrets 81-110

House of Mystery 174-228

Goon

Silver Surfer (1st series) 1-6

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 1-4

Sinister House of Secret Love 1-4

Thor (some Kirby issues, Simonson run)

Daredevil (Miller issues)

Eerie

Creepy

Conan (old) 1-20

Conan (new)

Red Star

Groo

Ultimates

Usagi Yojimbo

Hellboy

ASM (keys and McFarlane issues)

Tomb of Dracula 1-20

Hulk (various early issues and keys)

+ a bunch of random minis, independent titles and various keys, cool covers, ect

I know it's a pretty mixed bag, but that is how I stay interested. confused-smiley-013.gif

bumpit.gif

TOS #39-#59 (VF-NM)

TOD #1-#10 (NM)

Hulk #1 (Fine)

ASM #1 (Fine)

Detective #31 (VG)

Man, I didn't realize a VG Tec #31 was over $6K. 893whatthe.gif Maybe I won't own one. frown.gif

Here are some more sets I'd like to eventually own at some point:

Silver Surfer #1-#18 (VF-NM)

Marvel Spotlight #2-#4 and WWBN #1 (NM)

FF #3-#5 (Fine)

Avengers #1-#4 (VF)

Swamp Thing #1-#10 (VF-NM) [Great Wrightson covers!]

Showcase #22 (VG)

bumpit.gif

TOS #39-#59 (VF-NM)

TOD #1-#10 (NM)

Hulk #1 (Fine)

ASM #1 (Fine)

Detective #31 (VG)

Man, I didn't realize a VG Tec #31 was over $6K. 893whatthe.gif Maybe I won't own one. frown.gif

Here are some more sets I'd like to eventually own at some point:

Silver Surfer #1-#18 (VF-NM)

Marvel Spotlight #2-#4 and WWBN #1 (NM)

FF #3-#5 (Fine)

Avengers #1-#4 (VF)

Swamp Thing #1-#10 (VF-NM) [Great Wrightson covers!]

Showcase #22 (VG)