• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading tightness over the years question

3 posts in this topic

CGC grading tightness over the years question

I was a collector in the 80's before CGC, and about to get many graded.  I am however curious as to CGC's grading timeline has been, were they tighter graders in the beginning, or looser graders?  How are the CGC grades comparable to the first few years?  I know they set the standard, so I'm sure grading styles have fluctuated with more and more information, just curious if there are more allowances for production flaws, fingerprints, etc. nowadays.  Thanks,

Nate

Though a good question, I just don't see how anyone can definitely answer you. Many will give opinions, most agree CGC has waxed and waned over the years with tight periods and loose periods. A lot has to do with personal results. Also, CGC does not publish or offer their grading guidelines. Supposedly CGC is lenient on known production flaws. They downgrade for fingerprints. They hammer stains.

There are those who track what they consider loose and tight periods of grading, to the degree that they will even avoid or seek out certain serial number ranges, but I'm not so sure it's as consistent as that. When buying slabbed books, I'm more concerned with eye-appeal and PQ for the grade than I am what the exact number is in the corner. 

In general CGC tends not to hit books for production flaws unless they are severe, or the book is extremely high grade. They also tend to be tougher on handling flaws (tears, stains, creases), than they are on flaws due to age and environment (dust shadows, foxing, slight fading).