• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A noob needs some advice

11 posts in this topic

My first post here, so bear with me. cool.gif

I sent my first book to CGC and, unfortunately, it came back lower than I expected. I don't feel too bad though, as I've been out of the comic "world" since 1992.

My new hurdle is figuring out how much to charge for this book. I'd appreciate any advice you folks can give.

It's a Weird War Tales #1 CGC 7.5 with off-white to white pages. I know the 9.4 rated book has an estimate of $1500, but I've no idea how the sliding scale of prices works.

If you have an opinion, or have seen a book like this one that has sold, please let me know. Also, I've tried doing a completed item search on ebay but no dice.

Thanks!

I sent my first book to CGC and, unfortunately, it came back lower than I expected. I don't feel too bad though, as I've been out of the comic "world" since 1992.

My new hurdle is figuring out how much to charge for this book. I'd appreciate any advice you folks can give.

It's a Weird War Tales #1 CGC 7.5 with off-white to white pages. I know the 9.4 rated book has an estimate of $1500, but I've no idea how the sliding scale of prices works.

If you have an opinion, or have seen a book like this one that has sold, please let me know. Also, I've tried doing a completed item search on ebay but no dice.

Thanks!

First - WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Second - you didn't do so badly. You selected a nice high-dollar, highly sought after book for grading. You are going to make someone very happy.

It is unfortunate for you that it didn't make the straight 8.0 grade as a pure VF will sell at a premium to a VF- (not in my book mind you, but in the world at large). On that note, I wouldn't accept anything less than VF 8.0 Overstreet Guide for the book.

If you don't have an Overstreet Price Guide - now's the time to buy one. And, to see why your book only graded a 7.5, you should pick up a copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide while you're at it.

Btw, O/W to White is great PQ - you should have no problem selling it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

gossip.gifI'd buy it in a minute gossip.gif

Well, if you're interested.... grin.gif

But seriously, how much is a fair price? My plan was to put this on ebay, but I don't want to get taken, nor do I want to overprice the book.

If you look at the overstreet guide, how much do you add on since it's slabbed? When I looked at an online price guide, I looked at VF for $255. How much more does the CGC grading make it worth?

Again, thanks for putting up with all these noob questions. I haven't been a rookie in the comics marketplace since the mid 1980's, so I'm dealing with a sort of culture shock, if you know what I mean. tongue.gif

Every book is different.

I have sold slabbed books in the 7.5-8.5 range that did not fetch guide prices.

I have sold books in HG, 9.4 or better, that got multiples of price guide.

Like I said every book is different, if you dont want to loose, put a reserve on it, if you want the market to decide its value, let it fly.

Thanks!

First - WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Second - you didn't do so badly. You selected a nice high-dollar, highly sought after book for grading. You are going to make someone very happy.

It is unfortunate for you that it didn't make the straight 8.0 grade as a pure VF will sell at a premium to a VF- (not in my book mind you, but in the world at large). On that note, I wouldn't accept anything less than VF 8.0 Overstreet Guide for the book.

If you don't have an Overstreet Price Guide - now's the time to buy one. And, to see why your book only graded a 7.5, you should pick up a copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide while you're at it.

Btw, O/W to White is great PQ - you should have no problem selling it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

David, that brings me to a question. Does the OS grading guide show a lot of examples to help you recognize flaws?

Well, if you're interested.... grin.gif

But seriously, how much is a fair price? My plan was to put this on ebay, but I don't want to get taken, nor do I want to overprice the book.

If you look at the overstreet guide, how much do you add on since it's slabbed? When I looked at an online price guide, I looked at VF for $255. How much more does the CGC grading make it worth?

Again, thanks for putting up with all these noob questions. I haven't been a rookie in the comics marketplace since the mid 1980's, so I'm dealing with a sort of culture shock, if you know what I mean. tongue.gif

I am in the market for this book as well, but raw rather than slabbed. I would think $150-175 would be a nice, fair price. Maybe more depending on the production and page quality as well as the overall eye appeal. You chose a nice book for your first sub, and if you are looking to sell it I doubt you will have much trouble. thumbsup2.gif

I am looking at my OS Grading Guide right now. they do give multiple scans as examples for each grade. It varies though as to how many. The 9.0 grade has 10 individual scans as examples. The 6.0 grade has 5 examples.

Anyway, I would recommend picking one up. I find it to be pretty useful.

R-

David, that brings me to a question. Does the OS grading guide show a lot of examples to help you recognize flaws?

No, not enough. That's one of it's flaws. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are right. I would like to see more examples for each grade. I think a larger format for the book would be a good idea. It would make it easier to spot the flaws referenced in each scan.

As a side note, the fact that there are more scans for the 9.0 grade than the 6.0 grade is pretty comical given this blurb that is thrown in for the 6.0 grade: Fine has historically been the most difficult grade to identify. It is the highest grade which allows a wide range of defects to occur.

One would think that would mean more images to display the "wide range" of defects allowed.

R-

Thanks!

According to GPAnalysis.com thelast sale on a 7.5 was in 6/2002 @ $51. BTW, 9.4 last sold in 2/2004 for $500. sorry.gif

Thanks!

According to GPAnalysis.com thelast sale on a 7.5 was in 6/2002 @ $51. BTW, 9.4 last sold in 2/2004 for $500. sorry.gif

Both irrelevant to today 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but not as irrelevant as his "online" price guide 27_laughing.gif