• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Rogers Riders Club Promo

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about this book? confused-smiley-013.gif I just picked it up in a collection with some fellow forumites, and am interested in its story.

Was there a club that kids could join, and they received this comic when they joined? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Any info or stories is greatly appreciated.

RoyRogersPromo.jpg

The comic is from the 1952 Roy Rogers Riders Club and was distributed with the club membership kit. The kit included a mailer, color photo of Roy, a membership card, an advertising sheet for a Roy Rogers Gun and Holster set, and a lithographed tin tab pin for kids to wear.

The comic is from the 1952 Roy Rogers Riders Club and was distributed with the club membership kit. The kit included a mailer, color photo of Roy, a membership card, an advertising sheet for a Roy Rogers Gun and Holster set, and a lithographed tin tab pin for kids to wear.

Thanks. Any idea on the print run, or how many copies survived?

Thanks. Any idea on the print run, or how many copies survived?

This is would be a tough call to make given that the book was part of the Roy Rogers Riders Club kit. Most premiums are produced after the orders from children were received since the companies made next to nothing on the actually premiums and they were at best a break even product. The value to the companies was in the promotion and advertising of the characters and products they could sell using premiums. This book is not the easiest book to find, but they do turn up on occassion. High grade copies would be very difficult since they were sent to kids in a mailer.

Fascinating. That's great information, thanks! I wonder if there were other years besides 1952 that kids could join the club. Wasn't Roy Rogers an icon for years?

I know nothing about the membership clubs from the 50s, so all this information is new to me. Didn't the Shadow and other characters have clubs that extended beyond one year? Would a kid get the same promo items? In other words, if someone was a member of the club for a couple of years, would he only get the membership kit once? Or would he get updated membership kits with new promo items each year?

Fascinating. That's great information, thanks! I wonder if there were other years besides 1952 that kids could join the club. Wasn't Roy Rogers an icon for years?

I know nothing about the membership clubs from the 50s, so all this information is new to me. Didn't the Shadow and other characters have clubs that extended beyond one year? Would a kid get the same promo items? In other words, if someone was a member of the club for a couple of years, would he only get the membership kit once? Or would he get updated membership kits with new promo items each year?

Depending on what club you joined the answer may be yes that you would receive the same or similar items. The Supermen of America Club ran from 1939 until 1965. While the items for the club are similar each year there are a number of different versions of the pinback buttons, membership certificates, etc. In the 1940's there was a Junior Justice Society of America Club for the JSA. This club had various changes to the certificates and decoders as well as the giveaway comic having a panel that featured the year in it. For example the panel noted 1942 in the one version but later years have different dates. This club also had brass badge that is scarce as it was offered but then replaced by a patch due to wartime metal shortages.