• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Season 8 episodes revealed so far.

Episode 01 - Winterfell (54 minutes) - 11.76M viewers (USA only)

Episode 02 - A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (58 minutes) - 10.29 viewers (USA only)

Episode 03 - The Long Night (82 minutes) - 12.02M viewers (USA only)

Episode 04 - TBD (78 minutes) - TBD viewers (USA only)

Episode 05 - TBD (79 minutes) - TBD viewers (USA only)

Episode 06 - TBD (79 minutes) - TBD viewers (USA only)

Game of Thrones Season 8 : "The Long Night" is Second Highest Rated Episode Ever

In just the Live+SD numbers, "The Long Night" saw a total of 12.02 million people tune in to watch the Battle of Winterfell. That's more than enough to make the episode the highest-rated non-finale of the series, and it was just shy of the live viewing numbers of the record outing, Season 7's finale. "The Dragon and the Wolf" debuted to 12.07 million viewers in August 2017.

What's impressive about these figures is that they will significantly grow once HBO releases the same night streaming numbers, factoring in everyone who streamed the episode on HBOGo and HBO NOW on Sunday night. Including those numbers, the Season 8 premiere of Game of Thrones was the most-viewed in HBO's history, with north of 17 million people watching the episode in some form the night it aired.

Okay, tactical question: 

Why didn't they take some of the dragon glass and embed spikes of it into all of the armor of the warriors instead of (or in addition to) the wooden spikes around the trenches? 

That way you could be impaling/killing wights while they try to overrun you. 

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Okay, tactical question: 

Why didn't they take some of the dragon glass and embed spikes of it into all of the armor of the warriors instead of (or in addition to) the wooden spikes around the trenches? 

That way you could be impaling/killing wights while they try to overrun you. 

I thought the same thing. Or even on the Winterfell embattlements line the top with Dragon Glass spikes so when the White Walkers climbed up they died - again.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I thought the same thing. Or even on the Winterfell embattlements line the top with Dragon Glass spikes so when the White Walkers climbed up they died - again.

I think a combination of factors.

If I remember correctly they were mining it from Dragonstone.  I would assume that mining would be labour intensive and time consuming and they simply could not get enough in the time needed.

The weapon that were made looked crud almost prehistoric, I don't think they were so much forged as poured and there simply wasn't a way to combine plate armor with the dragon glass. Notice we didn't see a host of defenders wielding dragon glass broadswords. 

And finally I don't think anybody really knows how to fight an army of the dead because only a handful have and survived. Look how much push back Jon was getting because he "bent a knee" The northern people seemed more upset with that then an approaching ice zombie horde. So I guess I mean, where are their priorities focused?

1 hour ago, topofthetotem said:

I think a combination of factors.

If I remember correctly they were mining it from Dragonstone.  I would assume that mining would be labour intensive and time consuming and they simply could not get enough in the time needed.

The weapon that were made looked crud almost prehistoric, I don't think they were so much forged as poured and there simply wasn't a way to combine plate armor with the dragon glass. Notice we didn't see a host of defenders wielding dragon glass broadswords. 

And finally I don't think anybody really knows how to fight an army of the dead because only a handful have and survived. Look how much push back Jon was getting because he "bent a knee" The northern people seemed more upset with that then an approaching ice zombie horde. So I guess I mean, where are their priorities focused?

Very fair points. Easy to Monday Morning Quarterback when we don't have a horde of White Walkers coming over the hills to invade our homes to talk about what we would have done.

Now if I could just get those kids off my lawn. Weird little dudes.

emotion01.gif.ac2b3b16ffe1cd33327dd7649ac47454.gif

Edited by Bosco685
horde vs hoard

darkposts01.jpg.d4f72fc4687e6fcbec5d1ac50e6908e7.jpg

Now that it is clear Jorah Mormont is dead, and with Jon's reveal to Daenerys he is a Targaryen, who does she trust in going forward as an advisor? It sure isn't Tyrion Lannister. She has made this clear as of late.

6 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Is there a definitive number of generals the Night King has? Or did he keep recruiting more as his army increased? 

Great question. Back in Season 7 someone did a summary of this.

How many White Walkers are there in Game Of Thrones?

According to Daenerys’ estimate there are probably around 1,000 White Walkers, who in turn have around 100 wights each that then make up the army. One saving grace for Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and their combined posse is that in the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones season 7 we learnt that when a White Walker is killed their wights fall down dead, too, which makes their quest a tiny bit easier.

Which makes an interesting point I had forgotten. If from Season 7 they knew all you had to do is take down the White Generals and their associated White soldiers would fall, why not focus the dragons and cavalry attack on where the leadership was sitting?

Though easier said than done.

26 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

So if the Night King was immune to dragon fire, does that mean he's a Targaryen?

That was one of the theories, which in seeing this scene reinforced the assumption he was a Targaryen.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Great question. Back in Season 7 someone did a summary of this.

How many White Walkers are there in Game Of Thrones?

Which makes an interesting point I had forgotten. If from Season 7 they knew all you had to do is take down the White Generals and their associated White soldiers would fall, why not focus the dragons and cavalry attack on where the leadership was sitting?

Though easier said than done.

Jon Snow was about to attack the Generals but the the stormy clouds quickly moved in and made it difficult for him to see where he was flying and what was on the ground.

Edit: Calvary attack failed. They couldn’t make it through the wights that were in front of the Generals.

Edited by Catwomancomics

6 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Jon Snow was about to attack the Generals but the the stormy clouds quickly moved in and made it difficult for him to see where he was flying and what was on the ground.

Edit: Calvary attack failed. They couldn’t make it through the wights that were in front of the Generals.

I still feel like that cavalry charge was such a waste of troops. Especially those troops, which though they can not bring 'shock & awe' to the dead could serve as a massive reserve ready to take advantage of any key openings.

But then we wouldn't have had that intense scene when all those swords went cold. :eek:

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Prior to the battle there was a scene with dragon glass at the top of some of the wall embattlements. It might have been episode 2. The wights climbed up over each other and started jumping over the wall.

Edited by Catwomancomics

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I still feel like that cavalry charge was such a waste of troops. Especially those troops, which though they can not bring 'shock & awe' to the dead could serve as a massive reserve ready to take advantage of any key openings.

But then we wouldn't have had that intense scene when all those swords went cold. :eek:

It was a complete tactical disaster. Reminds me of the Battle of the Bastards. 

Just when you think all hope is lost, something unexpected happens and saves the day.

So, after the actions of Lyanna Mormont, Arya Stark, and Ser Brienne of Tarth in the latest episode of GOT, will people stop using the term fighting like girls as an insult? I know Brienne isn't a girl (is Arya classed as a girl?) but she had to be included.

5 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

So, after the actions of Lyanna Mormont, Arya Stark, and Ser Brienne of Tarth in the latest episode of GOT, will people stop using the term fighting like girls as an insult? I know Brienne isn't a girl (is Arya classed as a girl?) but she had to be included.

I know what Sophie Turner would say about that.

But those two have been strong on the set anyway.

:roflmao:

7 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The answer is no, it won’t stop people from using that insult.  Those 3 examples are exceptions to how a typical girl fights.

I personally haven’t used that insult in 9 years.  I prefer to insult others by saying “ You fight like a Samwell Tarly”.