• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press

11 posts in this topic

To press or not to press

Hi all I have a few Timelys in the 4.0 range that have spine roll. I know if they were cleaned and pressed they'd come up in grade. My concern is that having one staple the staple would pop and cover would be detached. I'm a little gun shy, last year I had an Iron Man 55 cleaned and pressed and both staples popped. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Ed

17 minutes ago, dcmannn said:

To press or not to press

Hi all I have a few Timelys in the 4.0 range that have spine roll. I know if they were cleaned and pressed they'd come up in grade. My concern is that having one staple the staple would pop and cover would be detached. I'm a little gun shy, last year I had an Iron Man 55 cleaned and pressed and both staples popped. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Ed

Who pressed the 55?

48 minutes ago, dcmannn said:

I had CCS press it. This was  a while back and then it was CGCd. It actually came back a 6.5. I complained to CCS and they refunded me the cost of pressing it

This has always been a gray area, is the pressing service responsible for any damage that may occur from their services. That doesn't seem like adequate compensation ? 

21 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Too bad your first experience was not a good one. Doesn't mean they won't be moving forward.

Joey, do you have a technique to allow you to avoid popping staples or reduce the chance of it happening?  If you get a book that appears to have a fragile spine do you contact the submitter?   @joeypost

14 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Joey, do you have a technique to allow you to avoid popping staples or reduce the chance of it happening?  If you get a book that appears to have a fragile spine do you contact the submitter?   @joeypost

It comes down to a few things, but the most important technique (if you can call it that) is knowing when a book has the propensity to go "pop". With many Marvels it has to do with wear, but some DC books are very prone to a staple popping even if you do everything correctly. I alert submitters now if I feel a book is brittle or if there is a chance to pop staples or split the spine. I leave it up to them to take the risk, but that only comes over time (and some mistakes along the way).

27 minutes ago, joeypost said:

It comes down to a few things, but the most important technique (if you can call it that) is knowing when a book has the propensity to go "pop". With many Marvels it has to do with wear, but some DC books are very prone to a staple popping even if you do everything correctly. I alert submitters now if I feel a book is brittle or if there is a chance to pop staples or split the spine. I leave it up to them to take the risk, but that only comes over time (and some mistakes along the way).

Thanks Joey.