• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Certified World's Oldest Graded 10.0!

20 posts in this topic

CGC Certified World's Oldest Graded 10.0!

Comics Guaranty, LLC, announced that they recently graded the oldest 10.0 in comics. Published in 1949, the copy of Kolynos Presents The White Guard #1 predates the next oldest 10.0 by 19 years. Unlike many of the other CGC graded 10.0s that exist, this comic is 54 years old. The book is noted as having white pages. What makes this book even more astonishing is that the comic is a promotional comic. Promotional comics are typically made of cheap pulp paper and lack any real protection from abuse unlike their standard comic counterparts. Promotional comics are typically very scarce in high grade for this reason.

"Steve Borock (CGC's Primary Grader) and I were in shock when this comic book came across our desks," said Mark Haspel, a CGC finalizer and CGC's pedigree expert. "This may be the oldest 10.0 we will ever grade!"

The White Guard giveaway comic was a book that promoted Kolynos toothpaste. The comic was discovered along with numerous other paper items from an old dentist office on the east coast.

125203-ph_whiteguard.gif.4450cea62b8fddafcfae191616cf4c98.gif

What premium or multiple does one attach to this book so that you can have the bragging rights of having the oldest graded 10. Some label whore is going to have a field day. Thank god it is encapsulated because it was probably a lousy read.

I may be half-blind, but did they give a 10.0 to a coverless comic?

I think the book is pretty much the same as the Aurora story/instruction booklet that came with the model kit... wink.gif

it never had a cover
CGC and their lack of concern for eye appeal-detracting printing defects! You'd think that the book not being printed with a cover would impact grade a bit. cool.gif

Interestingly enough...

CGC has graded four copies of that comic,

and they've never seen one lower than 9.8!

That's 100% with 9.8 or higher on a 1949 book...

Did they all come from the same submission,

or are those books indestructible?

The chances of getting a higher grade without those nasty, nasty glossy covers with the flecky cover inks is much greater! I'm thinking I should de-cover a few X-Men and see if I can get 10.0s out of them before movie hype-time hits. tongue.gif

Yeah, a 54 year old coverless issue. What a crockfull of Horse-manure. Who submitted this "comic" (need I even ask?) that nobody on Earth would care about if it wasn't given a CGC 10.0, thereby artificially creating a "gold mine" for someone? I'm sure it looks "much" better than the rest of the 9.8s and 9.9s thusfar submitted of the same issue. Sadly, it'll probably sell for some incredulous 5 figure price, just the same as the Eiffel Tower and Brooklyn Bridge have been "sold" as scrap metal to "intelligent" parties in the past.

The next step for this '10': Heritage's fall catalog with a $75,000 opening bid!