• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Kane - Batman and Me - book with "Bob Kane" drawing

5 posts in this topic

I couldn't stay away from this book despite knowing that there is zero chance of knowing for sure who drew the Joker artwork signed by Bob Kane, but it is as close as I will get to a confirmed Kane original and it is a neat book. 

My question has to do with the numbering. My book is #37 of 500. I have also seen books numbered out of 1,000. I could not find the original information on this publication. 

Are there 500, 1,000, or 1,500 of these things with "Bob Kane" original art included? Did the first 500 sell well, so they upped it to 1,000. Or is the 1,000 a wholly different run?

Bob Kane Batman and Me 4.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 2 - Joker.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 5.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 3.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 1.jpg

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

No idea.    500 jokers and 500 batmans would make 1000 though

I found this information on an auction listing and 1000 appears to be accurate.  This listing was for 921/1000.

First Edition; 1989. One of 1000 numbered copies signed by Bob Kane with an original ink drawing of Batman by Kane. The autobiography of the artist who created the immortal comic book character Batman in 1939

Limited first edition copy of ''Batman & Me'' signed by Batman creator Bob Kane. Published by Eclipse Books: Forestville, California: 1989. Copy number 921 of 1000 of Kane's autobiography is signed on a special limitation bookplate, ''Bob Kane''. An original Batman sketch, also signed by Kane, is affixed along its top edge to the flyleaf. The 155pp. book, with a preface by fellow comic artist Milton Caniff, tells the whole Batman story, from the beginnings of the first cartoon in 1939 to Batmania and Batman the movie. Almost every page is illustrated; complete full color Batman comic strips fill the center pages. 8.75'' x 11.25'' book with blue cloth boards is housed in matching slipcase featuring a gilt Bob Kane autograph and Bat-Signal. mint condition

Bob Kane Batman Sketch Original Art in Batman and Me Signed, Limited Edition Hardcover:  Book 921/1000 (Eclipse Books, 1989). Bob Kane's beautifully rendered 7.5" x 10" black marker sketch of the Caped Crusader has been drawn and tipped into the frontispiece page of this handsome book. This piece is the perfect drawing for Kane's 1989, slipcased autobiography, Batman and Me, which was autographed and numbered, #393/1000 on a tipped-in flyleaf color plate. The book, sketch, and numbered plate are all in Excellent condition.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:19 AM, PokerKid said:

I couldn't stay away from this book despite knowing that there is zero chance of knowing for sure who drew the Joker artwork signed by Bob Kane, but it is as close as I will get to a confirmed Kane original and it is a neat book. 

My question has to do with the numbering. My book is #37 of 500. I have also seen books numbered out of 1,000. I could not find the original information on this publication. 

Are there 500, 1,000, or 1,500 of these things with "Bob Kane" original art included? Did the first 500 sell well, so they upped it to 1,000. Or is the 1,000 a wholly different run?

Bob Kane Batman and Me 4.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 2 - Joker.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 5.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 3.jpg

Bob Kane Batman and Me 1.jpg

Very cool.  I have a later paperback printing (somewhere) signed by Kane.

Yeah I was going to say, I wonder if he really drew that or just had someone else do it for him like he did with 99 percent of everything else he claimed to be his. Funny how the cover drawing of Batman isn't even his, it's by Jerry Robinson. Ol' Bob was such a scam artist lol