• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Action 1 " on the Bay

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

I placed the bid on this Action when I saw it on my phone and it looked real enough on a tiny screen.   After getting home and comparing the pics to images of original editions (and reading the note here about the coloring diff) I messaged the seller and informed him (even including a pic of a real coverless so he could compare) and asked him to cancel the bid.   Seller says he still thinks it is real because some shop told him it was and he doesn't know how to cancel my bid.  I don't know how to do it on my end.  There must be a way but if there is ebay has made it well-hidden.     There is no danger to me because I know and the seller know I will not send him any money; but I don't want other people out there thinking there is an actual bid on it.

Go to this page on ebay to retract a bid. You will need the item number.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

just cause you had A COUPLE ACTION 1s IN CGC CASE does not make you 100%. Maybe 99.9% :hi: G.A.tor .

Open up a 76 and you will see the same red ink omission and margins. Identical to the auction. 100% lol

3 hours ago, eccomic said:

Somebody needs to report this listing or somebody is gonna get ripped off. :flamed:

I was prepared to give seller the benefit of the doubt but he didn;t post my question and then messaged me to "stop harassing (him)".   

Didn't even mention that the missing last page is convenient since I am guessing it has something other than the original Action 1's black and white first page of the Chuck Dawson story.

4 hours ago, bluechip said:

I was prepared to give seller the benefit of the doubt but he didn;t post my question and then messaged me to "stop harassing (him)".   

Didn't even mention that the missing last page is convenient since I am guessing it has something other than the original Action 1's black and white first page of the Chuck Dawson story.

If he believed he had an original copy, I'm sure it's heartbreaking news to discover it's a reprint, but he could have at least showed appreciation for the fact that you did your homework and provided him evidence as to what he really has. No need to insult the customer who had done his due diligence. It's not your fault he doesn't have an original on his hands.

13 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If he believed he had an original copy, I'm sure it's heartbreaking news to discover it's a reprint, but he could have at least showed appreciation for the fact that you did your homework and provided him evidence as to what he really has. No need to insult the customer who had done his due diligence. It's not your fault he doesn't have an original on his hands.

It's possible wishful thinking gave false hope, but there are just so many things about this auction and the seller's behavior that point to a deliberate attempt to mislead.

1 hour ago, CashMoney said:

In my opinion, if the seller's story is true (i.e., the pawnshop, dad, etc.), then such seller might think the person/good samaritan notifying such seller that the comic is a reprint is trying to rip such seller off.  Can you imagine the psychology of this?  You think you have a real Action Comics #1 in your hands (even if you're not a comic connoisseur, you have to know it's worth a pretty penny), and some random person online is telling you that it's a reprint?  Even if you send such seller scans of the reprint, how does such seller know your scans are really of the reprint?  Unless such seller takes the time to personally conduct the required due diligence, such seller has no way to ascertain whether the copy is real.  If it were me, I personally would take the time to investigate (so I know exactly what I am offering for sale).  However, not everyone is as thorough or as intelligent. Luckily, we, here, know it's a reprint -- but we shouldn't be so quick to judge without a full accounting of the facts....      

Well, I would think if he Googled around he would have an idea of what a genuine copy would be worth.  If he thinks he has one, trying to sell it the way he is would not be a very sensible course.  In fact, it would be a guarantee of receiving far less than the book is worth.

5 hours ago, CashMoney said:

In my opinion, if the seller's story is true (i.e., the pawnshop, dad, etc.), then such seller might think the person/good samaritan notifying such seller that the comic is a reprint is trying to rip such seller off.  Can you imagine the psychology of this?  You think you have a real Action Comics #1 in your hands (even if you're not a comic connoisseur, you have to know it's worth a pretty penny), and some random person online is telling you that it's a reprint?  Even if you send such seller scans of the reprint, how does such seller know your scans are really of the reprint?  Unless such seller takes the time to personally conduct the required due diligence, such seller has no way to ascertain whether the copy is real.  If it were me, I personally would take the time to investigate (so I know exactly what I am offering for sale).  However, not everyone is as thorough or as intelligent. Luckily, we, here, know it's a reprint -- but we shouldn't be so quick to judge without a full accounting of the facts....      

In my ebay message to him I described exactly how to verify it.   Told him to look at the coloring of his copy and google certified coverless copies and compare them.   That got me the response that I was "harrassing" him.