• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM New Mutants 87

34 posts in this topic

PGM New Mutants 87

Unfortunately the book is boxed and ready to be shipped to CGC so I can't take pics of the back but if you can give an opinion with the pictures provided I'd be grateful. 

IMG_0291.PNG

IMG_0292.PNG

IMG_0293.PNG

IMG_0294.PNG

IMG_0295.PNG

the one spine tick is all I see, fairly sharp corners despite it being off-centered, I don't see the Spine tick kicking it out of the 9's; if it does it could be 8.5, top of the 8's

EDIT: Actually the spine tick is pretty noticeable depends on the grader's mood 8.0-9.0

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

So a spine tic is a nearly 1pt flaw?

It seems like the only issue.  The corners are good, wrap is good, and no creases.  In the mylar we can't really tell about bends or see the back, but nothing else jumps out.  I would guess a 9.2 at the least barring any back cover problems or mylar-blocking issues.

2 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

So a spine tic is a nearly 1pt flaw?

It seems like the only issue.  The corners are good, wrap is good, and no creases.  In the mylar we can't really tell about bends or see the back, but nothing else jumps out.  I would guess a 9.2 at the least barring any back cover problems or mylar-blocking issues.

That's initially what I said too lol 9.0 - 9.2

I had an ASM 300 with one spine tick, got an 8.0 ??? so I'm confused 

My Xmen 266 had two really minor ticks on spine and a soft corner and came back 9.2 ??? 

I don't know how minor this one on the 87 is considered lol I would say barring anything else 9.2 is a safe bet

I'm still waiting for my first batch to come back, so I'm only guessing based on what I've seen and read here.  I'm not familiar enough to know what particular flaws cause what particular dings, you would definitely know better than I.

I guess there's not really a consistent knock that one can tell.  At least not without graders notes and large sample size.

9 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I'm still waiting for my first batch to come back, so I'm only guessing based on what I've seen and read here.  I'm not familiar enough to know what particular flaws cause what particular dings, you would definitely know better than I.

I guess there's not really a consistent knock that one can tell.  At least not without graders notes and large sample size.

I do understand that on my ASM 300, even though the cover is black, that my spine tick was pretty severe. But it didn't break color, so I thought I was good for at least an 8.5.

I sub through my LCS and even the owner thought it was a strict grade, but I think that it mattered the tick was enough of one it wouldn't look good in the case at 8.5 idk

You've been doing pretty good and your reasons for the grade you give seems appropriate

I'm tempted to say the #87 would get a 9.4 but it also depends on what they mark down for with the over hang of the front and back cover. They look nice now, especially the corners on spine. It depends on if the over hang of the two other corners get bent in transit or the overall appearance of it imo. Sometimes the grader has things either they see most often on certain books and look for. lol meaning it's subjective and not an exact science..... Wait until you get to play the "grading game" we ge to play on the boards, I believe that it was called March Madness! there's prizes. I'm trying to get my practice in before next time, this year I went out in the first round ha

I'm paying several hundred dollars to have 15 books graded and fast tracked. I'd be really disappointed if my grade is dependent upon the graders mood that day. I've read passages regarding this notion several times on the board which is scary. But hey You won't hear me complain if he's in a good mood and my books come back 9.8's. 

Either way keep the opinions coming  they're much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

I'm paying several hundred dollars to have 15 books graded and fast tracked. I'd be really disappointed if my grade is dependent upon the graders mood that day. I've read passages regarding this notion several times on the board which is scary. But hey You won't hear me complain if he's in a good mood and my books come back 9.8's. 

Either way keep the opinions coming  they're much appreciated. 

:roflmao:They have guidelines lol I'm just not doing it for a living, so as they try to descibe to us the criteria---- I feel it's hard to express in words fully--- for us to understand

but then again if it weren't for judgement calls, we'd have ROBOTS that did the grading, right?? Hail the overlords meh 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

can't grade without seeing the back.,but 9.2

Thank God lol I was afraid someone was going to come along with more experience and tell me I was out of my gourd O.o 

Im not seeing what you guys are seeing. Looks sharp to me. Hard to see one of the corners, but if its as sharp as the others, 9.4-9.6. That one spine tick looks more like stress. Doesn't even look like it breaks color right? Of course, all of this is just grading front cover. This is not grading for the entire book. If back is perfect. I would say it will get a NM or NM+. But, Im no expert at all.

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank God lol I was afraid someone was going to come along with more experience and tell me I was out of my gourd O.o 

like I said..can't see the back,and the pictures are a triffle iffy..but this fella is so keen,i'll be happy to try and help!

I really am not great at copper...it gets hit pretty heavy.

6 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Im not seeing what you guys are seeing. Looks sharp to me. Hard to see one of the corners, but if its as sharp as the others, 9.4-9.6. That one spine tick looks more like stress. Doesn't even look like it breaks color right? Of course, all of this is just grading front cover. This is not grading for the entire book. If back is perfect. I would say it will get a NM or NM+. But, Im no expert at all.

That's why I was tempted to even say 9.4

not NM+ because it is too pronounced ie the ex ASM 300 idk 

What struck me about the book was how red the cover was among its other attributes . Not faded orange like many of the copies you see. The book is packed already and ready to ship for grading or else I would post pictures of the back but I will update the board once it's returned and graded. 

4 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

What struck me about the book was how red the cover was among its other attributes . Not faded orange like many of the copies you see. The book is packed already and ready to ship for grading or else I would post pictures of the back but I will update the board once it's returned and graded. 

Please do! this way we all learn lol 

17 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I thought a 9.6 can have one minor color breaking spine tick. This one is not even color breaking. At least from what it looks like. Anyway, its hard to judge based on the pics. Plus, no back pics at all.

Again I hear you and agree, I'm just basing my judgement of the current "new" grader's out there... but your right the book does look pretty sharp :) also your right we'll have to wait and see not knowing the now infamous backside of THE poppy NM 87