• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these books exist? (Adventures of) Peter Wheat #65 and #66

98 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Loving these books. :applause: You've made me want to read some now.

If you don't mind digital copies, all of my issues are scanned and up at the digital comic museum.  Glad you're enjoying the covers!

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

If you don't mind digital copies, all of my issues are scanned and up at the digital comic museum.  Glad you're enjoying the covers!

Hermes Press has released the first volume collecting the first 16 Peter Wheat stories this year.

https://hermes-press.myshopify.com/products/walt-kellys-peter-wheat-the-complete-series-volume-one-pre-order

Perhaps the author of this book may have insight as to whether issues 65 & 66 do exist.

18 hours ago, AJD said:

Loving these books. :applause: You've made me want to read some now.

Ditto. These are really great and it's a treat to see them in one place. Thanks for posting them!

On 6/14/2017 at 1:02 PM, jpepx78 said:

Hermes Press has released the first volume collecting the first 16 Peter Wheat stories this year.

https://hermes-press.myshopify.com/products/walt-kellys-peter-wheat-the-complete-series-volume-one-pre-order

Perhaps the author of this book may have insight as to whether issues 65 & 66 do exist.

Looking forward to the collection when it comes out; I have no idea how much meaningful info will actually pop up. They didn't talk to me, when I offered assistance.

If they're doing 16 issues, it's going to end on a cliffhanger, though.

My scanner is back up and running, but it's too late for me to rescan a whole stack of covers I lost in the crash.  Here's a scan of one oddity, though:  It's the Peter Wheat 4 in 1 Fun Pack Vol. no. 4.  It's actually one long piece of paper, that stretches out to 5 panels across; so it's roughly 4 feet long.  I presume they count the comics as one layer of fun and the games & such as another, so 4 x 2 (layers) x 2 (sides) gives you 16 feet of fun.  The comic is actually an edited reprint of Peter Wheat #9 by Kelly.

There's photos of a copy of #1 floating around online, Overstreet mentions vol 2 (and only vol 2); and I've got a high-grade copy of #4.  And other than those three specific copies I have never seen any indication of a #3, or even a 2nd copy of 1, 2, or 4, anywhere in 10 years of searching.  This thing is RARE.

PW_4ini1_4.jpg

32 and 33.  The 33 is a file copy, and was a 9.6 before I pulled it out of its case.  I'm afraid I slightly lowered the grade when I scanned the whole thing, but it's still just a beautiful book.

Comments elsewhere to the contrary, 33 is the last Walt Kelly issue.  I have no clue who did 34 other than there's NO Kelly in the issue and lots of it isn't Hubbard either., 35-up is Al Hubbard.  You might convince me Kelly had some slight input into the 35-37, but it wasn't much.

More tomorrow.

APW_32.jpg

APW_33.jpg

On 6/16/2017 at 3:54 AM, OtherEric said:

Looking forward to the collection when it comes out; I have no idea how much meaningful info will actually pop up. They didn't talk to me, when I offered assistance.

If they're doing 16 issues, it's going to end on a cliffhanger, though.

My scanner is back up and running, but it's too late for me to rescan a whole stack of covers I lost in the crash.  Here's a scan of one oddity, though:  It's the Peter Wheat 4 in 1 Fun Pack Vol. no. 4.  It's actually one long piece of paper, that stretches out to 5 panels across; so it's roughly 4 feet long.  I presume they count the comics as one layer of fun and the games & such as another, so 4 x 2 (layers) x 2 (sides) gives you 16 feet of fun.  The comic is actually an edited reprint of Peter Wheat #9 by Kelly.

There's photos of a copy of #1 floating around online, Overstreet mentions vol 2 (and only vol 2); and I've got a high-grade copy of #4.  And other than those three specific copies I have never seen any indication of a #3, or even a 2nd copy of 1, 2, or 4, anywhere in 10 years of searching.  This thing is RARE.

PW_4ini1_4.jpg

This is very cool.