• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any boardies planning to go to san diego comic con?
2 2

82 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Also struck out on tix - the con needs to provide dealers tix to sell as a formal part of their booth fees so they can ensure their customers can get in!

The con needs to move to Vegas, a city which actually has the hotel and convention capacity to service a convention of that size.

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

Also struck out on tix - the con needs to provide dealers tix to sell as a formal part of their booth fees so they can ensure their customers can get in!

It's pretty easy to get badges on Craigslist. Wait till the day before or morning of and usually they're pretty close to cost. 

13 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

It's pretty easy to get badges on Craigslist. Wait till the day before or morning of and usually they're pretty close to cost. 

I'm talking about capacity.

The one and only time I've attended SDCC was years ago, and I was admitted with a VIP pass thanks to a family member working for CNN.  My abiding memory of the trip was walking past the enormous line of people who  were waiting to be admitted, but not allowed due to Fire Code.  Not the way I'd like my SDCC experience to go, waiting for hours in the sun, only to be let in with only an hour or two to try to take in the spectacle and try to accomplish anything.

I concede things may have improved since then, but I suspect not.

14 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

If they did that the con would be dead in a few years.

If Hollywood refused to go to Vegas, then yes.    So long as the A-listers and producers are in attendance, then the fans will continue to flock.

I didn't meant to hijack the thread.  Apologies.

2 hours ago, thethedew said:

I'm talking about capacity.

The one and only time I've attended SDCC was years ago, and I was admitted with a VIP pass thanks to a family member working for CNN.  My abiding memory of the trip was walking past the enormous line of people who  were waiting to be admitted, but not allowed due to Fire Code.  Not the way I'd like my SDCC experience to go, waiting for hours in the sun, only to be let in with only an hour or two to try to take in the spectacle and try to accomplish anything.

I concede things may have improved since then, but I suspect not.

If Hollywood refused to go to Vegas, then yes.    So long as the A-listers and producers are in attendance, then the fans will continue to flock.

I didn't meant to hijack the thread.  Apologies.

I've never seen people having to wait due to capacity, so I think things have changed since you've been. 

45 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

I've never seen people having to wait due to capacity, so I think things have changed since you've been. 

He must be talking about 2008 as they oversold for Saturday and maybe Friday.

John B

SDCC is only committed to SD thru 2018.  Negotiations will begin again with the city to keep the show in SD.  SDCC probably provides the city with 1/3 their annual revenue.  If Comic-Con leaves, another convention promoter will jump in and immediately try to take it's place (Reed Elsevier or Wizard).  

A lot of dealers already give passes to their best customers, you just have to commit to spending a certain amount of $.  I have not gone since 2009 but it was more about getting a decent hotel room within walking distance than securing a ticket.  For those that have never attended, you should try to go at least once.  It really is a spectacle to be experienced as it literally takes over the entire town.    A much bigger show than NYCC.

For all those attending, have a great show.

Cheers!

N.

16 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

SDCC is only committed to SD thru 2018.  Negotiations will begin again with the city to keep the show in SD.  SDCC probably provides the city with 1/3 their annual revenue.  If Comic-Con leaves, another convention promoter will jump in and immediately try to take it's place (Reed Elsevier or Wizard).  

N.

Not to get too off topic, but the annual tourism revenue in SD is over 10 billion. SDCC brings in about 150 million in revenue. It's a beautiful feather in our cap, but to say it provides the city with 1/3 its annual revenue is laughable. 

Edited by cloud cloddie

I hope they never move.  Frankly speaking, I think a significant amount of the "magic" of SDCC is due to the scarcity & nostalgia - it's not only difficult to get tickets, it's difficult to get to certain events once you're there.  It's a consistent "thrill of the hunt" scenario the whole time.  Not to mention, the San Diego Convention Center has SO much nostolgia built up for comic fans (Hall H has a whole subculture attached to it now)

That said - such things aren't super relevant to people who aren't interested in the more pop culture elements of the con (The films, cosplay, other events).  For someone focused on flipping through long boxes and/or OA, those pieces just make it frustrating.  I enjoy all of it together

Edited by Thawk

I could not possibly disagree with you more.  I have been going for 30 years, and it's extremely frustrating dealing with all the nonsense about the tickets every year, thinking I might not get in.  There is absolutely no "thrill of the hunt" going on for me.  I have people I want to see and things I want to do, plans I need to make, but - oh, maybe I can't get tickets this year so screw all that.  Yeah, there's a lot of nostalgia there for me - 30 years worth! - but I would love to see it move to Vegas or some place that could actually handle the volume and give everyone a shot to attend.  I love SDCC, but as a long time attendee, this whole thing has become absolutely pathetic.  

17 minutes ago, Flambit said:

... see it move to Vegas or some place that could actually handle the volume and give everyone a shot to attend. 

Exactly.

In Vegas, they could even break the con up, segregate to Hollywood/Toys/Comics/Games.

I'll be there. Would be great to meet other boardies in person, so if there's some sort of boardie meetup, please share! 

Also, if anyone still needs accommodations, I've got space in an AirBNB across the street, right behind Petco Park. DM me for details.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:18 AM, cloud cloddie said:

I'm there all days.  Stay in SD!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, woowoo said:

I will fly down there if G.A.tor gets me in. Tickets are way to hard to get. If I make it I will Buy Buy Buy

FYI Metropolis are offering a ticket if you commit to $2500 spend.

"But you heartless monster," you reply, "I cannot enter or attend said con, for tickets sold out, like, instantly, and also I slept in the day they went on sale, which I understand isn't really your problem, but it is now, I am making it your problem, and what are you going to do about it!" Well, we understand, friend, and we've worked out a solution for you! Clients committing to buy $2500 or more at the show can contact Sales Director Frank Cwiklik at 212 260 4147 to reserve their books, and they'll get a shiny, fancy, official Badge for the full week of the show! No more frantic calls to Vince or Frank from outside the hall, no more waiting in line, his sucker will get you straight to the con and instantly ready to party! It's a pretty sweet deal, but we have only a limited number of passes left, so contact us immediately! Also, if you've already got your tickets in your hot little hands, and you have books you'd like to buy in person at the show, let us know right away and we'll make sure your requests are at the booth awaiting your smiling face! EXCELSIOR!

30 minutes ago, Action Comics said:

FYI Metropolis are offering a ticket if you commit to $2500 spend.

"But you heartless monster," you reply, "I cannot enter or attend said con, for tickets sold out, like, instantly, and also I slept in the day they went on sale, which I understand isn't really your problem, but it is now, I am making it your problem, and what are you going to do about it!" Well, we understand, friend, and we've worked out a solution for you! Clients committing to buy $2500 or more at the show can contact Sales Director Frank Cwiklik at 212 260 4147 to reserve their books, and they'll get a shiny, fancy, official Badge for the full week of the show! No more frantic calls to Vince or Frank from outside the hall, no more waiting in line, his sucker will get you straight to the con and instantly ready to party! It's a pretty sweet deal, but we have only a limited number of passes left, so contact us immediately! Also, if you've already got your tickets in your hot little hands, and you have books you'd like to buy in person at the show, let us know right away and we'll make sure your requests are at the booth awaiting your smiling face! EXCELSIOR!

does that mean I cant ask Steve for a ticket and sell him my early Tecs /Actions :makepoint: Guess I ask Clink if they are interested in getting me a ticket :hi:  $2500 what you think I want to buy Spider-Man 129 :whatthe:Thanks for the info.

Edited by woowoo

On 6/25/2017 at 7:28 PM, NelsonAI said:

A lot of dealers already give passes to their best customers, you just have to commit to spending a certain amount of $.  I have not gone since 2009 but it was more about getting a decent hotel room within walking distance than securing a ticket.  For those that have never attended, you should try to go at least once.  It really is a spectacle to be experienced as it literally takes over the entire town.    A much bigger show than NYCC.

For all those attending, have a great show.

Cheers!

N.

One of these "years" before I croak, I hope to make it to the SDCC..