• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything stopping EC from starting up a new horror series?

39 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

What made EC great were the creative and artistic geniuses that were there back in the day. Gaines, Feldstein, Kurtzman, Davis, Wood, Ingels, etc., etc., etc. Unfortunately, they are long gone. :frown:

EC's greatness came from that particular collection of people at that particular time. Without them, I'm afraid that you would simply have an "EC" moniker slapped on more drivel. 

Well put, though candidates immediately come to mind... Francavilla and Hack of Afterlife w Archie and Sabrina fame.

29 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Anything stopping EC from starting up a new horror series?

One would think (or hope) it'd be better than most of the drivel out there today !

Hearkening back to the glory days...

The ghost of Frederick Wertham is out there somewhere and he's still angry...

18 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

What made EC great were the creative and artistic geniuses that were there back in the day. Gaines, Feldstein, Kurtzman, Davis, Wood, Ingels, etc., etc., etc. Unfortunately, they are long gone. :frown:

EC's greatness came from that particular collection of people at that particular time. Without them, I'm afraid that you would simply have an "EC" moniker slapped on more drivel. 

This!

Warren tried it with Archie Goodwin as the editor but using some of the same artists that worked for EC.  Many of the stories are very high quality.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Warren tried it with Archie Goodwin as the editor but using some of the same artists that worked for EC.  Many of the stories are very high quality.

Agreed, Creepy and Eerie had stellar artists and stories, some great Wrightson work for example. Even some of the Marvel magazines like Tales of the Zombie had really good stories but I think the public has moved on in some ways, Walking Dead could be considered the offspring of EC.

15 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Agreed, Creepy and Eerie had stellar artists and stories, some great Wrightson work for example. Even some of the Marvel magazines like Tales of the Zombie had really good stories but I think the public has moved on in some ways, Walking Dead could be considered the offspring of EC.

That is probably true - EC was something kids read without their parent's permission under the covers back in the 50s.  Now that type of content as opposed to being a societal taboo back then is watched together as bonding time within the household, given as gifts to kids, accessed easily online, toddlers may even have horror-themed sleepwear, etc.

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I actually like the Warren stuff better. It aged better. I enjoyed the EC Archives,but the Creepy Archives were at another level. I was surprised how good they were. EC has the rep,but I think really Warren surpassed them with modern quality,similar to how Universal Horror was great,but the Hammer Horror holds up better today.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

25 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I thought the EC war Archives were actually the best EC comics. 

61Hls53IrTL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61fptITJocL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

Easily my favorite ECs. Mad is next, then sci-fi. 

I do love the horror stuff, but I think its impact was greater to the audience of the 50s. I'll bet if I was reading ECs when they were published, I'd rank horror first.

6 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Easily my favorite ECs. Mad is next, then sci-fi. 

I do love the horror stuff, but I think its impact was greater to the audience of the 50s. I'll bet if I was reading ECs when they were published, I'd rank horror first.

Same with me if I was reading them way back than it be the EC Horror, but reading them now I rank em

1. War

2. Sci-Fi

3. Mad

4. Horror

5. Crime

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Same with me if I was reading them way back than it be the EC Horror, but reading them now I rank em

1. War

2. Sci-Fi

3. Mad

4. Horror

5. Crime

Ha - that pretty much describes my EC collection, though I'd add two more categories:

War - have all of them

Sc-fi - have all of them

Adventure (Valor, Piracy) - have all and wish there were more

Humour - have all of Mad, and a couple of Panic

Horror - have a handful

Medical (Psych, MD) - a handful

Crime - none

3 hours ago, AJD said:

+1,000,000

(The 'Nam is surprisingly good.)

Yes it was. I'm also a fan of the Sam Glanzman series U.S.S. Stevens that ran at D.C. in the 1970's. Very underrated and worth a look for war comics fans. As a dog owner the 4 pager "Lucky...save me" from Our Army at War #275 is a keeper.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Yes it was. I'm also a fan of the Sam Glanzman series U.S.S. Stevens that ran at D.C. in the 1970's. Very underrated and worth a look for war comics fans. As a dog owner the 4 pager "Lucky...save me" from Our Army at War #275 is a keeper.

Sam is such a nice guy and enjoyable story teller.  All his USS Stevens stories are now available in one convenient volume:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-S-Stevens-Collected-Stories-Graphic/dp/0486801586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497592518&sr=8-1&keywords=sam+glanzman