• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Panel Appreciation
3 3

54 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, Aman619 said:

Ok. I became more ineterested to do some followup research on my statement about early redrawn marvels s for reprints.

Thanks for posting this, Aman.  :)
I had been re-reading the first ten issues of Marvel Tales myself, and you had me questioning the art a bit.  It looked okay to me but after your comments I wasn't sure.  I wanted to check things out for myself but that would have meant pulling down 4 longboxes that contained the early ASM, JIM Thor, Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish.  Those boxes are heavy, and I'm lazy.
Your follow up post saved me the effort.  lol

I think, in retrospect, what happened was this.  I read the original annual reprints when they came out on newstands, at least until I was caught up.  Same with D.C.  I never thought about the art being same as the comics or different.  (Who cared back then?)

many years later as newer reprints wre released, probably the milestones, I bought the early ones and noticed how horrible and different they looked. I think these images were some of the ones I have seen online too since they are easiest to come by for anyone doing research on early stories etc.

i think given my overall theory that Marvel and D.C. always took the shorted and easiest path, I saw this bad artwork and assumed that they went the simplest route, that they had picked up their existing original stats from the actual comics. But, the new digital approaches were around by then. so, by the 90s, Marvel no longer had the original artwork to use (it had either been handed back to artists, or stolen years ago) so embarking on a new "permanent" digital solution must have seemed like the way to go. ( They may in fact have used some of the Marvel Tales issues since buying expensive single issues to destroy in the process would have been far more expensive ( Collectors Item Classics costs pennies compared to a copy of FF 3!

anyway, I'm still guessing.. but there ought to be a few pros out there from the bullpen in the 90s who know the answer. But I think this is what I "remembered the early reprints " as being hand drawn. But, I'm still unsure what just the earliest issues looked so crappy. Or was it all of them? 

Great thread.  For some reason I don't remember now, I bought back issues of FF 44 through 70 as a teenager nearly 50 years & am very glad I've kept them to read again & again.

Edited by reed_richards

On 7/4/2017 at 11:34 PM, Aman619 said:

I think, in retrospect, what happened was this.  I read the original annual reprints when they came out on newstands, at least until I was caught up.  Same with D.C.  I never thought about the art being same as the comics or different.  (Who cared back then?)

many years later as newer reprints wre released, probably the milestones, I bought the early ones and noticed how horrible and different they looked. I think these images were some of the ones I have seen online too since they are easiest to come by for anyone doing research on early stories etc.

i think given my overall theory that Marvel and D.C. always took the shorted and easiest path, I saw this bad artwork and assumed that they went the simplest route, that they had picked up their existing original stats from the actual comics. But, the new digital approaches were around by then. so, by the 90s, Marvel no longer had the original artwork to use (it had either been handed back to artists, or stolen years ago) so embarking on a new "permanent" digital solution must have seemed like the way to go. ( They may in fact have used some of the Marvel Tales issues since buying expensive single issues to destroy in the process would have been far more expensive ( Collectors Item Classics costs pennies compared to a copy of FF 3!

anyway, I'm still guessing.. but there ought to be a few pros out there from the bullpen in the 90s who know the answer. But I think this is what I "remembered the early reprints " as being hand drawn. But, I'm still unsure what just the earliest issues looked so crappy. Or was it all of them? 

There have been some discussions about changes made in Marvel's Masterworks, Essentials, and Omnibus lines.
Here's an old CGC topic
and here's a blog referenced in the CGC topic
another blog from 2014
and here's the hyaena gallery by artist Michael Kelleher, who recreated art for the Masterwork series through digital reconstruction and physically redrawing pages.
And here is the artist's Marvel Masterworks art for sale
Finally, here's Michael's response on the Masterworks message board concerning Masterworks art restoration.  *This one is required reading, IMO.

...if you've already seen these (and of course there's more), mea culpa.  If not, it's a pretty good read.  :)

Edited by Unca Ben