• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #129
1 1

21 posts in this topic

PGM ASM #129

So I bought a collection last week with tons of books. Mostly from the 80-late 90's with lots of keys and a full run of ASM. Here is a book that I'm curious about. I know of a topic I read a long time ago about how grocery stores would mark usually one side of the book that they sold with a marker. Apparently they must have done this to entire stack of ASM 129's! :whatthe:

Anyways, what grade do you place on this? I'm thinking of sending it in for a press but will end up grading it but I am curious on your thoughts...

Front Cover:

img20170620_00262273_zpsg7jx9ln0.jpg

Back Cover:

img20170620_00264924_zpsjjbeqej3.jpg

Back Cover Angle:

20170620_002823_zps7ea6nlgm.jpg

Inside Front Cover:

20170620_093823_zpss1ixszlx.jpg

Inside Back Cover:

20170620_093838_zpsrq10tgvf.jpg

The book lays flat overall but there's a slight bend on the top right that would benefit from a press. What's your 2c

I have been told that type of marking is done during the distribution process to mark off a grouping of books.It usually is just on the very end of the book as a few bands of color and was not going to downgrade the book value. This is something else though and it's hard for me to believe the book will not seriously suffer in grade given the seriously heavy bleed. Other than the entire problem, the book looks like it's in pretty nice shape,something like an 8.0= 8.5,  especially if you like blue. I genuinely would not know how to grade this defect  and I would not bother with a press. I'll wait for the big kids on this one.  

Huh interesting book, without the blue I would agree with the same 7.5-8.5. It's obviously just a manufacture's defect as Glassman says. I would say it might effect the value of the book, but not the grade. I would say a press would help from the pictures; the corners are a bit rounded.

I'm surprised the grades quoted. The top right front corner would benefit from a press but if you can look pass the blue marking the book is very remarkably in great condition. There's a bit by the top staple but nothing else.

I know of a seller who was selling lots of these heavy blue sprayed comics about 5ish years ago on ebay in big lots. There were mostly bronze age Marvels and they looked unread except for the blue paint.

It continually amazes me as to what can happen to ruin one's profit at the end of a day. In Glass, I know about a million ways to lose money, some big some small.  I remember a big German company making 30,000 lbs of a dichroic glass because they did not check the supply shed to see if they had enough Neodymium so the technical specs did not match up to the contract. .  Bad move.  Try to imagine shipping comic books all over the country to bus stations that could care less all for .12 cents a copy.  Stan really was a visionary if he could put up with that stuff. We get to squabble over the errors.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Zacreth said:

I'm surprised the grades quoted. The top right front corner would benefit from a press but if you can look pass the blue marking the book is very remarkably in great condition. There's a bit by the top staple but nothing else.

This book looks to be structurally in beautiful condition.  Just the very light top staple wear.  The corner's look fine, but the distributor ink bleed can mistakenly make the bottom right corner look rounded.  Without the distributor spray, I would say a very solid 9.2 or 9.4.  But the spray is so overwhelming and such an eyesore, the grade has to suffer dramatically.  I can't see giving this any higher than an 8.0 based on the reduced eye appeal.  Would be interested to see how CGC grades this book hm

Edited by mosconi

Sorry for the delay. I ended up going through several more boxes to pull copies out to get them all pressed and graded. We'll see what CGC's opinion is on the overspray on this book. 

Thanks everyone!

I linked this book to a for sale thread in the forum since the book is back and the grade was a bit of a let down but I'll scan the front and back of the book so people can see and CGC definitely graded it harshly with the notes only stating "heavy distribution ink back cover" "heavy distribution ink full bottom of front cover"

3 minutes ago, Zacreth said:

I linked this book to a for sale thread in the forum since the book is back and the grade was a bit of a let down but I'll scan the front and back of the book so people can see and CGC definitely graded it harshly with the notes only stating "heavy distribution ink back cover" "heavy distribution ink full bottom of front cover"

Dang, sorry to hear about the grade.  

5 hours ago, Zacreth said:

That is commonplace, experts have educated me.

Maybe a FN 6.0, small chance at just a 5.5 or 5.0. Probably not going to get a 6.5 with all that ink.  I think CGC has been pretty consistent with this but don't know.

If I'm honest, given the degree of staining I'd be elated with a 6.5 on that book. I think ~95% of CGC's grading is rock solid and sensible, but these kinds of grading loopholes where they basically pretend the staining isn't there are probably my biggest pet peeve with CGC's standards.

So FWIW, I think you did great! Sorry about the shipping issue though, hope it resolves quickly.

I didn't know what to expect with it so it's not bad. I have 2 other copies that were in my father's collection so this one will put up for sale somewhere. The bay most likely. But it was interesting to see how it would be graded with that much ink on the book.

3 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I think that is a pretty good grade for that amount of over-spray. If the book had been stained to that degree by anything other than dist ink you'd be looking at a 5.0 at best.

True. It's just sad since it is a good looking copy if it didn't have the spray. :(