• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I invest in MS Marvel #1 1977 ?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

I was thinking more in terms of CGC rated items, as potential buyers see 9.8 and their eyes light up. As for raw, I would never purchase or encourage others to, as it is simply too subjective and fraught with issues.CGC offers that graded guarantee,

I think the best advice for beginners is:

1.  Determine if you are a collector or investor (you can be both but it takes a fine touch).

2.  Seek advice on potential buys to avoid pitfalls (such as movie hype or ridiculous speculation such as Werewolf By Night #32). 

3. Buy what you can afford.

In Point 2 there also needs to be an explanation of grades, and why sometimes a lower grade will do (eg. Amazing Fantasy #15  or  Incredible Hullk #1).

There could also be a sub-section on potential selling, as a pet hate  of mine is rookies having CGC grade "nothing issues"  that become a 5 - 9.2 and then sit on Ebay for months (or years).

Food for thought.

7 hours ago, World Devourer said:

2.  Seek advice on potential buys to avoid pitfalls (such as movie hype or ridiculous speculation such as Werewolf By Night #32). 

In Point 2 there also needs to be an explanation of grades, and w

True, and also stress the importance of print runs and market scarcity.  A lot of younger collectors understandably don't understand this because they weren't alive to witness the stacks and stacks of copies of a single issue at a LCS or the ubiquitousness of that single issue at literally every convenience store, pharmacy and newsstand across the nation.

On 27/06/2017 at 3:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like our dark and negative predictions and opinions for Ms. Marvel 1 as an potential investment going forward has probably scared off the original poster here.  lol

This made me laugh as it also occurred to me. He invited his fellow posters to afternoon tea and got more than he bargained for...

On 6/30/2017 at 4:14 PM, Readcomix said:

That's true. But so often these days what the seller has to say about grade is that they are not "a professional grader" and won't give a grade. No one is. There's no certifying body. It's not medical school. 

I'm for third party grading but it does not abdicate one from the responsibility to learn to approximately grade a raw book themselves, have a discussion about it with other collectors, and, when transacting raw, simply come to an agreement on a close grade range, or simply agree to disagree and walk.  I get that that's tougher on eBay than face to face, but then only sell graded OR offer lots of pix and descriptions and a reasonable return policy based on you (seller) missing something significant. Buyer's remorse in a collectibles marketplace is not a very good reason. 

Of course, many low price items are not worth the work. Without a reasonable person on each side of the deal, I get that at can be difficult. No perfect answer; at least, I don't have it.

If someone is not "willing" to grade a book because they fear repercussions, then the least they should do is describe defects and have decent quality scans. It's important for collectors to know if staples are popped or spines are split or there are interior stains. At least the buyer can get a feel for the grade. More important is sellers should make sure all pages are there and nothing is cut out.

Early in my Ebay career (back in 1999 I think) I purchased a board game that the seller said they did not know if it was complete. I took my chances and it was missing all the cards. I discovered this by looking at the instructions and seeing what the contents were. The seller knew what was missing because he did the same thing and feigned ignorance.  I lost out (early Ebay didn't have disputes) and the best I could do was leave a negative fb. Sellers should know what they are selling or not be in the business of selling the item. Do a little research.

For comics, at least for the most part, GCD works well as to content, though I do find a few mistakes now and then. Page count is usually given and can help big time, especially for older books with 16-12, 12-8 or 10-10 wraps.

Edited by Philflound

On 6/21/2017 at 12:13 PM, Christwarrior316 said:

Should I invest in MS Marvel #1 1977 ?

Hi folks  first time long time!  Just like many of you I grew up loving the art and stories that marvel & dc comics offered  along with trading cards. I'm a huge fan of the MCU and have watched all movies (expect Iron Man #3, I hear you can miss this one :D) and just started collecting comics that I could never have or missed out on having. 

So far I have invested in Black Panther #1 GCG 9.8, Avengers #125 CGC 9.8. I know that movie rumors fuel the hype and prices go up.  I currently have my eye on MS. Marvel 1977 #1 9.8. Now as many of you know the price is anywhere from 1000-1500. Is this a worthy buy at its current price? Has it always been around this price? Also will it only increase due to trailers dropping or closer when the movie will be released? Not sure if I should buy now or wait. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have a 1977 volume 1 ms.marvel  june 6 is Date on front and a spider man and hawkeye volume 1 number 22 1974. I've read all the comets and was wondering if they are worth anything anymore