• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Tape for tear?

9 posts in this topic

One of my covers has a small tear. It doesn't affect the art, so no need to give it to a professional, but I would like to put some tape over it to avoid it getting bigger. I'm looking for tape that is easy to remove and doesn't damage the paper, but still does the job. Do you have any suggestions? I think I heard the term "masking tape" before, but I might be making this up. 

Thanks!

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

7 minutes ago, Infamouspure22 said:

As a temporary solution, maybe you could use archival tape on the back side of the art to prevent any further tearing?

agreed, I would tap on the back. I just bought a DPS and the artist taped it together on the back with blue painter's tape

I would never use painters tape or anything like that, personally. Fine for temporary presentation, but adhesives like they use on tape become more aggressive the longer they are left on.

if it was mine, I'd grab a Japanese hinge tape from the local hobby shop or order it online. Same stuff used to put pieces in frames archivally. It's inert, 100% reversible and does the job. Just apply it to the back to core the torn area to just PAST the norm area, to stabilize it and you should be good, unless you decide to Hulk Hogan it in the future. ;)

A product like this would be fine...

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Hayaku-Japanese-Hinging-Tape/dp/B0007LS8BU

Edited by ESeffinga

23 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I would never use painters tape or anything like that, personally. Fine for temporary presentation, but adhesives like they use on tape become more aggressive the longer they are left on.

if it was mine, I'd grab a Japanese hinge tape from the local hobby shop or order it online. Same stuff used to put pieces in frames archivally. It's inert, 100% reversible and does the job. Just apply it to the back to core the torn area to just PAST the norm area, to stabilize it and you should be good, unless you decide to Hulk Hogan it in the future. ;)

A product like this would be fine...

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Hayaku-Japanese-Hinging-Tape/dp/B0007LS8BU

Thanks for that tip. I wasn't too sure about the painter's tape but figured it was good enough to bring it home form the con. I will definitely look into the hinge tape.