• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 page sold for $75,000.

56 posts in this topic

Yeah, 90K if you include the premium.

The $75K already includes the BP

Are you sure? I don't think that's right. I think it was $75K before buyer's premium.

Are you sure? I don't think that's right. I think it was $75K before buyer's premium.

If you're talking about the p. 12 from Marvel #1, when I go on the site it says bid of $65,000, with BP is $74,750. confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe I was the underbidder on this page. I think it is likely that Parrino may have been the high bidder.

It is a great piece that is not worth 250K or 150K or even a 100K. It is worth 75K - 80K. If you have any doubt, take a look at the auction result. I would say the speculation has ended.

Steve

What would be the advantage of doing it that way as opposed to setting a reserve? Wouldn't it potentially cost the seller quite a bit of money due to having to pay both buyer's and seller's fees, or is it a special case?

Also, it seems like that way there is a chance that the market will rather visibly set a lower value on a given high-end piece, as opposed to having a piece not meet reserve which is a fairly common occurrence.

at least on ebay,dropping the reserve creates more excitement in the peace[knowing that someone has to win it...it is thought that it would create more bids on the piece,so i can see the psychology in dropping the reserve,but you have to have some kind of net under it if you take a chance on playing it this way,,in this case if its true[and i dont know]j.p was the net?

I believe I was the underbidder on this page. I think it is likely that Parrino may have been the high bidder.

It is a great piece that is not worth 250K or 150K or even a 100K. It is worth 75K - 80K. If you have any doubt, take a look at the auction result. I would say the speculation has ended.

Steve

Steve- remarkably close to what you and I discussed as price a year ago. So did Parrino 'repurchase' his own page. I was kinda hoping you'd get. Jon

Do you think it would take long to sell now if Parino listed it for $125,000 instead of $250,000? His website has been down for some time and there is still a message from 2002 posted in the news section? if he isn't getting out of the business he sure hasn't paid much attention to sales side of it.

Is it Steve or Vinny that was gunning for the piece ?

I have a brochure somewhere printed by JP that indicates that he was looking for 1 MILLION DOLLARS for the piece.

Looks like JP is taking a loss on it.

If he is the top-bidder (re-purchasing it)...Damn,..thats alot dough 'baked into the item'. Unless Heritage lets him off the hook...as all the BSD are in cahoots.

KK

jp has a reputation for asking very very high prices,so high that if you know hes the seller ,you wont even bother bidding on it[that is why i did not bid on this piece]

so what do you do if you want to shed that reputation to get people to bid on your stuff...you drop the reserve of course........

had he had a reserve on it,i never would have bid on this auction because i know he has a rep for extrememly high prices and his reserve would have been crazy.

but that reputation dissapears when theres no reserve...and you start to build excitement! there has to be some sort of a net in place if this all backfires because having no reserve is potentially risky...

That lot opened at $65K and got two bids in the room. I wasn't paying attention to who in the room was bidding on that piece, but the guy I was sitting next to at the auction told me later that Bill Hughes (on JP's behalf?) was one of the two bidders in the room on that lot. I was under the impression that he was the underbidder, but if you were the underbidder, I guess that means he was the winner? confused-smiley-013.gif

Steve

So are you saying that one auction determines market value? I have seen your books on ebay, and although ebayer "mewantsbooks" seems to bid a lot on your stuff, some of your books haven't met reserve (the More Fun 52 comes to mind). Since it didn't meet your reserve, does that mean you will lower your prices according to the last highest bid?

Just asking.

If you're talking about the p. 12 from Marvel #1, when I go on the site it says bid of $65,000, with BP is $74,750. confused-smiley-013.gif

Can someone explain to me how the realized price of this page suddenly jumped from $74,750 to $86,250?

I received a e-newsletter from Heritage that quotes Ed Jaster as saying:

"Original art also inspired spirited bidding during the auction," said Jaster. "The landmark last page of the very first Sub-Mariner story from Marvel Comics #1 by Bill Everett realized $86,250"

The auction page for this art also now claims it sold for $86,250. Yet I definitely, as did others, followed the auction closely and saw what it ended at. We also had people who posted in this thread who were actually present for the auction, and indeed bid on the art, yet never informed us of this higher price. This is not even an accurate 15% jump from the $74,750 so it doesn't appear to be an attempt to say the winning bid was $74,750 and then tack on the 15% BP.

So what gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

Can someone explain to me how the realized price of this page suddenly jumped from $74,750 to $86,250?

I received a e-newsletter from Heritage that quotes Ed Jaster as saying:

"Original art also inspired spirited bidding during the auction," said Jaster. "The landmark last page of the very first Sub-Mariner story from Marvel Comics #1 by Bill Everett realized $86,250"

The auction page for this art also now claims it sold for $86,250. Yet I definitely, as did others, followed the auction closely and saw what it ended at. We also had people who posted in this thread who were actually present for the auction, and indeed bid on the art, yet never informed us of this higher price. This is not even an accurate 15% jump from the $74,750 so it doesn't appear to be an attempt to say the winning bid was $74,750 and then tack on the 15% BP.

So what gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

The page ended at $75,000, not $74,750. Bidding was in $5,000 increments. I watched the live bidding online and immediately commented on that on these forums when it closed. The auction page reflects the buyer's premium of an additional 15%. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the page that Tim was referring to was the internet bidding page. Internet bidding ended at $65,000, which amounts to $74,750 with BP added. That was not the final price on the piece. There were two additional bids on the auction floor at the live auction -- $70,000 by Steve Fishler and $75,000 by the winning bidder.

The page ended at $75,000, not $74,750. Bidding was in $5,000 increments. I watched the live bidding online and immediately commented on that on these forums when it closed. The auction page reflects the buyer's premium of an additional 15%. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the page that Tim was referring to was the internet bidding page. Internet bidding ended at $65,000, which amounts to $74,750 with BP added. That was not the final price on the piece. There were two additional bids on the auction floor at the live auction -- $70,000 by Steve Fishler and $75,000 by the winning bidder.

Ooooook. That's strange b/c I thought my past experiences with Heritage reflected that the final price on the Internet page nonetheless incorporated the actual final price of the item, i.e., took into consideration the floor bids. Guess not in this case. Annoying, but life goes on.

Ooooook. That's strange b/c I thought my past experiences with Heritage reflected that the final price on the Internet page nonetheless incorporated the actual final price of the item, i.e., took into consideration the floor bids. Guess not in this case. Annoying, but life goes on.

I think they just hadn't updated it yet with the final floor auction results when Tim made the comment.

Don't know if the rest of you guys are watching the Heritage live auction, but the Marvel Comics #1 page just sold for $75,000.

I think this could be an example of just way too much quality product in one auction and the money got spread too thin. Goes to show once again how small the pool of uber-big-buck comic collectors really is. While it's not a piece that I could ever afford, I agree that 75k sounds totally low. Still, this is one of the good things about the sig auctions, I guess, is that sometimes there is just so much nice stuff that it really is possible to get a "deal."

There were two additional bids on the auction floor at the live auction -- $70,000 by Steve Fishler and $75,000 by the winning bidder.

Now Lon Allen (from Heritage) is saying in another thread that Bill Hughes was the bid at $70K and that somebody else won the auction at $75K. So, did Hughes get his bid in before Fishler (or his rep) at $70K, or was Hughes bidding on behalf of Fishler at $70K? And who the heck actually bought the thing? If Mr. Allen is correct that Hughes was not bidding on behalf of JP and was in fact the runner-up and not the winner (perhaps Mr. Fishler could confirm this if Mr. Hughes was representing him at $70K...otherwise, somebody's story doesn't add up), then did somebody really win this or was the unknown bidder at $75K representing JP? It's all so confusing... frustrated.gifconfused.gif