• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any thoughts on estimates

11 posts in this topic

Just curious why Heritage, or the other comic art focused auction houses don't post estimates ( I noticed Hakes does). it seems like there's enough of a track record to establish fairly good estimates and I personally like them. 

Often times when there are no comparable sales or the art is so esoteric, it's hard to put estimates. I've seen pieces in Heritage illustration sales go many multiples of their estimate and some struggle to reach them. At the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the one with the bigger bank roll.

Heritage has their auctions archived.  If you wanted to come up with your own estimates, at least you have that information at your disposal. 

I think others have mentioned how difficult it is to get past results from other online auctions. 

CAF does have some auction info but maybe it's a lot to go through.

I know Sotheby's and Christies have them for their auctions in Europe. And I remember once a few years ago heritage actually had internal estimates accidentally posted but took them down after a week or so. 

Depending on how much the piece of likely to bring, you can use this service:

https://www.artprice.com/artist/129537/jack-kirby/estimate

Here's what one of their reports looks like. And, yes, they do estimate OCA.

https://imgpublic.artprice.com/pdf/examples_estimates/examples_estimates_en.pdf

Here's another site, where I did a search for Jack Kirby sales. 

http://www.artnet.com/artists/jack-kirby/past-auction-results/3

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Thanks, resources are not exactly what I need or am inquiring about. Really it's just about having that estimate being on the listing, I find it a nice addition and guide even if a piece soars way above or below it.

I'm not sure why estimates even matter. I mean, bid what you are willing to (and can) pay if you like a piece well enough. As a buyer, I don't care what the auction house THINKS the piece might sell for. If you're the seller, then I'm sure they've talked it over with you about what they think it might sell for. I know they did me when they tried to get me to put some art into an auction last year (I didn't do it).

On 2017-07-01 at 3:08 PM, Michael Browning said:

I'm not sure why estimates even matter. I mean, bid what you are willing to (and can) pay if you like a piece well enough. As a buyer, I don't care what the auction house THINKS the piece might sell for. If you're the seller, then I'm sure they've talked it over with you about what they think it might sell for. I know they did me when they tried to get me to put some art into an auction last year (I didn't do it).

I feel the same way; I put no stock in any opinion except my own .    I suppose some new to the hobby might benefit from it but they might also be harmed by it.    No substitute for having to think it through yourself IMO

19 hours ago, Bronty said:

I feel the same way; I put no stock in any opinion except my own .    I suppose some new to the hobby might benefit from it but they might also be harmed by it.    No substitute for having to think it through yourself IMO

When a big auction house was wanting to auction off some of my covers, they tried to give me estimates of what they thought my art would sell for. Knowing how a couple of my friends have lost big after hearing these great estimates, I said "Thank you, but no thank you." I look at what art has sold for in the past and how much similar pieces are still up for sale for (those that have been up for sale for awhile without selling).