• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another thread about CGC vs. those other guys...
1 1

55 posts in this topic

It just strikes me that slabbing is about monetizing a standard of condition. It seems it has been the case that one company grades a bit higher than the other which virtually everyone had noticed  and the jury for that will be in what a buyer is willing to pay for one grader over the other. Once it was observed that CGC sells for more than the other guy. it's pretty hard  to ever get that toothpaste back in the tube. Offering graders notes for nothing has nothing to do with the simplicity of the math when you're counting your money at the end  the day. 

And then there's the market which fluctuates and everyone expects to constantly go up. For some books, that's pretty much true although I have watched two AF 15 6.5's at auction recently. One went at a bit over $61K and the most recent one only pulled 59K. Then there was a 4.0 which went for over 40K and that just left me confused.  Maybe people really are buying the books, not the grade. That's novel.

23 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Y'all are talking about CBCS, right?

I think there is a cryptic mix of PGX and Voldemort here. :gossip:

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Nothing is a hard fast rule but I find the other guys typically go for about 10% less then CGC with most keys books (but to be fair PGX slabs seem to do alright with hot keys).  Non-key books like that DS 2 usually gets much better results in the CGC case especially when it come to 9.8 copies.  Seems to me some of the dealers I've talked to have tried out the other guys since their grading has been a bit looser then the current CGC grading but I've only talked to a handful of the small dealers at several Cons so my sample size is not huge.  I much prefer the CGC label but the actual cases seem similar enough that I don't care one way or the other.  When the other guys go head to head vs CGC in the ComicLink auctions the CGC case almost always goes for at least 10% more from what I've seen.

About a month or so ago on eBay, Hulk 181s in the same CGC and CBCS grade and page quality (ow/w) garnered $1,050 (after 42 bids) for the CGC and $1,225 (after 44 bids) for the CBCS.  So I think anecdotal evidence just depends on what examples you look at.

Comparing PGX and CBCS or CGC is a joke.  CBCS and CGC share a lot of history and credibility.  PGX has a unique reputation.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Nothing is a hard fast rule but I find the other guys typically go for about 10% less then CGC with most keys books (but to be fair PGX slabs seem to do alright with hot keys).  Non-key books like that DS 2 usually gets much better results in the CGC case especially when it come to 9.8 copies.  Seems to me some of the dealers I've talked to have tried out the other guys since their grading has been a bit looser then the current CGC grading but I've only talked to a handful of the small dealers at several Cons so my sample size is not huge.  I much prefer the CGC label but the actual cases seem similar enough that I don't care one way or the other.  When the other guys go head to head vs CGC in the ComicLink auctions the CGC case almost always goes for at least 10% more from what I've seen.

About a month or so ago on eBay, Hulk 181s in the same CGC and Steve B. grade and page quality (ow/w) garnered $1,050 (after 42 bids) for the CGC and $1,225 (after 44 bids) for the the Steve B.  So I think anecdotal evidence just depends on what examples you look at.

Comparing the guys from Oregon and Steve B. or CGC is a joke.  Steve B. and CGC share a lot of history and credibility.  The Oregon company has its own unique reputation.

3 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

i hate the term "cgc collector".

im a comic book collector foremost. That term makes it seems that your collecting labels and not books.

This reminds me of the time I had a guy invite me over to his house to view his 9.8s. That was all he said not what books they were. It was the most pristine and well presented collection of 90s Image, Valiant and Malibu comics I've ever seen. He believed they were going to be worth millions as soon as the movies got made.  It was like the anti-Jon Berk Collection.?

Edited by Krydel4
Spelling

1 hour ago, Transplant said:

Y'all are talking about CBCS, right?

Was your post censored and needing to be approved by the mods like they were a few weeks ago before it appeared for everyone to see?

i've been watching the price spreads between CGC and Voldy from day 1.And I send in a lot of books to both companies.  One book isn't a good measure.  Sometimes identical graded CGC books sell for substantial differences from one day or one week to another.  That's why GPA has  "average" and "last sale" prices.

The summary of my opinion is that it depends a lot on where you sell and how you sell.  If you sell at auction on ComicLink, Heritage, Comic Connect you'll usually see very similar prices between identically graded books.  More often than not the better looking book - if differences can be seen - brings the better price. 

If you sell at auction on eBay, Voldy books will often come up under performing CGC and/or GPA averages. . eBay has a lot of less....mature? knowledgeable? shoppers.  They only know CGC = graded comic.  They have no idea who started and runs Voldy. 

If you sell Voldy books  BIN with best offer listings on eBay  or sell on FB, you will often times get a message that "this is not CGC. It sells for less". But ignore and hold out and you'll get GPA or close prices. 

What this means is that there is still some financial advantage to the CGC brand for sellers.  But it's possible for smart sellers with Voldy slabs to get closer to even

Edited by Tony S

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Was your post censored and needing to be approved by the mods like they were a few weeks ago before it appeared for everyone to see?

Nope.

15 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Voldemort slabs are really tough to open. I often avoid them if it's something I want to crack out.

I have a hard time cracking the new CGC slabs. I've only had one Voldy book, but it was difficult to crack too.

19 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I have a hard time cracking the new CGC slabs. I've only had one Voldy book, but it was difficult to crack too.

The Voldemort books are super easy to crack - just grab a bottle opener or multi-tool that has a tabbed end and you can pop the little hinges right off.

It's actually a bit scary just how easy the Voldemort case comes apart - if you're careful, you can easily pop the top, slide the book out, swap it with another book, and then simply tap the top part back in place without there being any trace of your nefarious activities.

Anyway, I've used a tool like this to crack a bunch of their slabs - it works well for the new CGC cases too:

bottle-opener.jpg

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think there is a cryptic mix of PGX and Voldemort here. :gossip:

pervert! :blush:

Add in CGC and it is just one big inbred f***fest.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Add in CGC and it is just one big inbred f***fest.

will there be manginas?

Probably, but don't expect any manscaping....,

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Probably, but don't expect any manscaping....,

i'm out.

I doubt it.  Rub it out and come back.

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I doubt it.  Rub it out and come back.

hm

See..., I can "read" you like a book. :baiting: