• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

They do now. Almost all Image books that have both direct and ns are being differentiated if they 1.) have a price difference and/or 2.)have different paper quality for the ns. In the case of Spawn #1, there is no difference short of the bar code so there won't be a separation between ns or direct.

They do for #9. I assume that's why? Odd because they don't differentiate for Rai #0.

Wouldn't there be some record of ns distribution somewhere? Maybe the Image offices themselves? It would be curious to learn from them. I think there is a small market for ns covers and am snatching up any Image book I can get for like $1.50 or under.

there's certainly a record somewhere, or was at some point.  Image and the printer seem like the most likely candidates, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to have held on to records that old either, and no reason to have transferred the information from what must have been countless boxes of paper copies to digital form or microfilm.  And now, even if the records still exist, no reason for anyone with access to look them up.  And then even if someone got THAT far, no reason for anyone to make that information available to the public.

Though I suppose for those inclined, it wouldn't hurt if an interested party just emailed IMAGE directly and asked about it.  There worst they could say is 'no'. 

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They do for #9. I assume that's why? Odd because they don't differentiate for Rai #0.

maybe early on they got some requests for some, and not for others.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yes. Newsprint was used for the newsstand editions while a higher quality paper was used for the direct editions. This is noted on the CGC label for the Spawn 9 newsstand edition. That's why it's notated. Both editions of Spawn 1 used the same quality paper, therefore CGC does not differentiate between the two on the label.

Edited by newshane

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Someone mentioned the NS for 9 doesn't have a poster. So it wouldn't be "missing" it was just never there in a complete copy.

There is actually 1 copy that had a barcode with glossy paper and poster. I'm not sure if it was a fluke, or possible overstock interiors and they just used a newsstand cover on it. Every other newsstand copy has matte paper with no poster.

15 minutes ago, Philflound said:

There is actually 1 copy that had a barcode with glossy paper and poster. I'm not sure if it was a fluke, or possible overstock interiors and they just used a newsstand cover on it. Every other newsstand copy has matte paper with no poster.

Is it slabbed (i.e. examined by CGC and determined to not be a fake)?

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Maybe there are only separate listings in the census when they identify the difference from the first grading of the book?

I'm not sure if that's the case, but that's the only way it would be relevant.

There are times when a variant will be created. All those Image newsstands that are now being separated is one case. There will be plenty of copies of ns Image that were not identified until it was discussed and decided along with suggestions from collectors that there be separate listings. This also goes for the Marvel ns price variants. There are plenty that still have only one listing. Marvel had price variants back in the 1990s where direct editions were $1.99 and the newsstands were $1.95. I remember when I had my store back then and even though it was only 2 more cents per book cost, it would add up if ordering several hundred Marvels. The later issues, which I think was in the late 2000s had direct at $2.95 and ns at $3.95 if I'm correct. That is a much bigger difference. I can only suggest that if you want your newsstands listed separately because there is a difference to be graded, then make the suggestion upon submission. Include a note or give a call and speak to customer service or modern grader so they're aware that there should be a separate listing if there isn't one already.

I was at a thrift store today that had 1990s Marvel newsstands. I don't think there were any differences from the direct though I didn't have directs to compare. I considered buying them because I personally think that there is a market for ns editions, even if not a variant, and could appreciate in some value in the future for certain collectors.

51 minutes ago, Philflound said:

There are times when a variant will be created. All those Image newsstands that are now being separated is one case. There will be plenty of copies of ns Image that were not identified until it was discussed and decided along with suggestions from collectors that there be separate listings.

Yeah, that would be when the publisher has more than one version of an issue printed as part of the same print run (ie. reprints don't count - I'm looking at you, "2nd Printing Variant" Marvel). CGC not fully, properly, and consistently identifying the comics they grade is a different story.

This also goes for the Marvel ns price variants. There are plenty that still have only one listing. Marvel had price variants back in the 1990s where direct editions were $1.99 and the newsstands were $1.95. I remember when I had my store back then and even though it was only 2 more cents per book cost, it would add up if ordering several hundred Marvels. The later issues, which I think was in the late 2000s had direct at $2.95 and ns at $3.95 if I'm correct. That is a much bigger difference.

They are not price variants. They are just Newsstand editions. They were created to be distributed through the newsstand system and that's what defines them.

Sure, there have been other versions of many comics, but Direct/Newsstand has been the most constant and consistent difference between different versions of the same issue for decades.

Any price differences between Newsstand editions and Direct editions are trivial and ultimately meaningless.

I can only suggest that if you want your newsstands listed separately because there is a difference to be graded, then make the suggestion upon submission. Include a note or give a call and speak to customer service or modern grader so they're aware that there should be a separate listing if there isn't one already.

Do you think that will accomplish anything? If CGC was actually interested in consistently identifying Newsstand editions in their system, it should have happened by now. Even the other guys are half-assing it with an arbitrary cut-off date.

I was at a thrift store today that had 1990s Marvel newsstands. I don't think there were any differences from the direct though I didn't have directs to compare. I considered buying them because I personally think that there is a market for ns editions, even if not a variant, and could appreciate in some value in the future for certain collectors.

What does that even mean? Does it mean that it's possible that some people may be fooled by the hucksters into thinking they are rare or exceptionally desirable and end up spending too much on them?

If Newsstand editions ever achieve widespread demand, 1990s Marvels are not the issues you will want in your inventory.

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that would be when the publisher has more than one version of an issue printed as part of the same print run (ie. reprints don't count - I'm looking at you, "2nd Printing Variant" Marvel). CGC not fully, properly, and consistently identifying the comics they grade is a different story.

They are not price variants. They are just Newsstand editions. They were created to be distributed through the newsstand system and that's what defines them.

Sure, there have been other versions of many comics, but Direct/Newsstand has been the most constant and consistent difference between different versions of the same issue for decades.

Any price differences between Newsstand editions and Direct editions are trivial and ultimately meaningless.

Do you think that will accomplish anything? If CGC was actually interested in consistently identifying Newsstand editions in their system, it should have happened by now. Even the other guys are half-assing it with an arbitrary cut-off date.

What does that even mean? Does it mean that it's possible that some people may be fooled by the hucksters into thinking they are rare or exceptionally desirable and end up spending too much on them?

If Newsstand editions ever achieve widespread demand, 1990s Marvels are not the issues you will want in your inventory.

I do think that there are completionists out there, especially with the advent of online shopping, who will want to collect every issue with regards to a certain character or series.  Naturally, that could it some cases mean that some of those completionists would want the newsstand editions, I know I personally want the newsstands for Darkhawk, and will pay more for higher grade copies of them as they tend to be rarer (in high grade), even though newsstands themselves were not so rare in the 90's.  Of course, that is anecdotal and not necessarily representative.

But something similar could happen with more universally popular characters like Batman or Spiderman, and especially when we're talking about the 2000's and up when newsstands became increasingly rare, there could definitely be some premiums achieved.  Of course, it would depend on the series and the characters.  I don't think its something to INVEST in heavily at this point, but grabbing up the right one here and there from the right character or series for cheap now may not be such a terrible idea.  And really, its only about supply and demand, just like the rest of it.

Lazyboy just wants to go the opposite route in this debate. Though he makes statements, it's just his opinion as were mine and everyone else's. Thing is, if something is selling, then it's a fact, not an opinion. CGC is not distinguishing all newsstands, only the issues that have some kind of paper/price difference. So accept it for what it is. I was informing those who want variations of their books that are legitimately recognized by CGC and is currently not listed as variants to contact them. If you don't want to part of the newsstand variation collecting community, that's ok. There are plenty out there that do.

As Revat said, I think completionists will want any newsstand, so 1990s Marvels are just as good. And print runs on 1990s ns is not high. My guess would be a few thousand from the mid-1990s on. Print runs were rather low when Marvel had Heroes World. Besides the fact that many stores were going belly up.

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

2nd prints with different covers are inherently variants. No ifs, and, buts about it. That's the definition of a variant. That's why a 'B' cover in an order all you want 'A' and 'B' scenario is considered a variant.

20 minutes ago, revat said:

I do think that there are completionists out there, especially with the advent of online shopping, who will want to collect every issue with regards to a certain character or series.  Naturally, that could it some cases mean that some of those completionists would want the newsstand editions

Yes, of course. But how many people like that exist, and what is the range of their collecting interests? A random Spider-Man collector here and Darkhawk collector there doesn't add up to much demand. Not to mention that we don't know what is already owned by those people.

I know one guy locally who collects every version of each issue he collects, but only one guy.

And print runs on 1990s ns is not high. My guess would be a few thousand from the mid-1990s on.

A few thousand? lol No. You're nuts, even if you actually mean distribution (it is not and has never been worth printing only a few thousand copies for newsstand distribution). Newsstand distribution numbers might have approached that range by the time Marvel gave up many years later.

Print runs were rather low when Marvel had Heroes World.

Not especially, no.

Besides the fact that many stores were going belly up.

What do comic shops dying have to do with newsstands? They are completely different distribution systems. Newsstand retailers didn't order cases of junk they couldn't sell or tie up their cash in books that were delivered weeks late.

30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

2nd prints with different covers are inherently variants. No ifs, and, buts about it. That's the definition of a variant. That's why a 'B' cover in an order all you want 'A' and 'B' scenario is considered a variant.

??? A variant is an version that is different than the standard edition. If there's only one edition, how can there be a variant?

2nd prints and 'B' variants are not even remotely the same. I don't know what you were going for with that comparison.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, of course. But how many people like that exist, and what is the range of their collecting interests? A random Spider-Man collector here and Darkhawk collector there doesn't add up to much demand. Not to mention that we don't know what is already owned by those people.

I know one guy locally who collects every version of each issue he collects, but only one guy.

A few thousand? lol No. You're nuts, even if you actually mean distribution (it is not and has never been worth printing only a few thousand copies for newsstand distribution). Newsstand distribution numbers might have approached that range by the time Marvel gave up many years later.

Not especially, no.

What do comic shops dying have to do with newsstands? They are completely different distribution systems. Newsstand retailers didn't order cases of junk they couldn't sell or tie up their cash in books that were delivered weeks late.

??? A variant is an version that is different than the standard edition. If there's only one edition, how can there be a variant?

2nd prints and 'B' variants are not even remotely the same. I don't know what you were going for with that comparison.

Well you certainly have me confused. You don't know what a variant is?