• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, ygogolak said:

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm going to have to agree with Lazyboy on this one  (shocking, I know).

Reprints are not "variants" of a first printing comic.  That's why your mentioning Cover A's and B's in the same post was confusing. And if a reprint happens to have a "new" or different cover, they are just that- a reprint with a new or different cover, but a "variant" of the original first print run, it is certainly not.  

-J.

The company that actually makes the comics disagrees.

If I have this right I agree. Cover A and B confused me as well. They would be variants.

I look at it like this. If the book comes out at the same time its a variant. If it comes out later its a 2nd print or 3rd or 4th....  Convention variants fall this way for me too. When was it produced same time? Variant
A few weeks later because book got hot? 2nd print.

Its hard to make people understand that reprints are really not variants because the comics book companies push them that way. I can see the confusion because to some collectors this is all they know. I get the confusion its not their fault its the comic book companies that have made it this way.

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

If I have this right I agree. Cover A and B confused me as well. They would be variants.

I look at it like this. If the book comes out at the same time its a variant. If it comes out later its a 2nd print or 3rd or 4th....  Convention variants fall this way for me too. When was it produced same time? Variant
A few weeks later because book got hot? 2nd print.

Its hard to make people understand that reprints are really not variants because the comics book companies push them that way. I can see the confusion because to some collectors this is all they know. I get the confusion its not their fault its the comic book companies that have made it this way.

Right, so in that sense why is one way considered the correct when it's opposite of the people that actually make the comics? A variant is simply a deviation from the first cover art.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Right, so in that sense why is one way considered the correct when it's opposite of the people that actually make the comics? A variant is simply a deviation from the first cover art.

So you would call those Batman Adventures 12 convention books variants and not reprints?  

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Right, so in that sense why is one way considered the correct when it's opposite of the people that actually make the comics?

Most publishers do not and have never used the word "variant" to describe their reprints. Again, even Marvel only did that for a relatively short time.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

A variant is simply a deviation from the first cover art.

No, it is not necessary that the cover be different for a comic to be a variant. Yes, the majority of variants do have at least slight alterations to the cover, though it doesn't have to be the art that's altered.

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So you would call those Batman Adventures 12 convention books variants and not reprints?  

They are both in my book.

You cant have it both ways though. They are reprints with different covers. There are no variants of Batman Adventures 12 only reprints. Its pretty cut and dry on that one.

Comic book companies know the term variant sells more that's why they don't say reprint anymore. If 15 variant covers come out same week all variants. They come out the 2nd week unless delayed for some reason they are reprints. 

I sell a lot of Marvel Legend comics that came with the toys. Many have different covers. You can call them a variant if you want, but you better somewhere mention they are a reprint. Many years ago I didn't do that and the buyer was pissed. I had assumed they knew. I never made that mistake again.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
5 hours ago, ygogolak said:
6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

They are both in my book.

You cant have it both ways though. They are reprints with different covers. There are no variants of Batman Adventures 12 only reprints. Its pretty cut and dry on that one.

Comic book companies know the term variant sells more that's why they don't say reprint anymore. If 15 variant covers come out same week all variants. They come out the 2nd week unless delayed for some reason they are reprints. 

Actually, he's mostly technically correct on this one. Many of the convention editions are both reprints and variants. All convention editions are reprints of the original issue. But the variants are only variants of their respective standard convention editions, not the original issue.

3 years ago, there were 2 versions of BA 12: Direct and Newsstand. Now, there are 4 additional reprint runs, each of which has at least 1 variant. O.o:ohnoez:

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Actually, he's mostly technically correct on this one. Many of the convention editions are both reprints and variants. All convention editions are reprints of the original issue. But the variants are only variants of their respective standard convention editions, not the original issue.

3 years ago, there were 2 versions of BA 12: Direct and Newsstand. Now, there are 4 additional reprint runs, each of which has at least 1 variant. O.o:ohnoez:

what about the very few convention editions that released before or simultaneous with the normal direct edition?  just variants right?

14 minutes ago, revat said:

18 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

what about the very few convention editions that released before or simultaneous with the normal direct edition?  just variants right?

Yeah I think so. I forgot about newsstand/direct edition argument.

We are just getting too deep for me now.

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Most publishers do not and have never used the word "variant" to describe their reprints. Again, even Marvel only did that for a relatively short time.

No, it is not necessary that the cover be different for a comic to be a variant. Yes, the majority of variants do have at least slight alterations to the cover, though it doesn't have to be the art that's altered.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

So you agree with me and disagree with me on the exact same item. Got it.

IMG_4540.PNG

5 hours ago, revat said:

I was specifically responding to the BA 12 convention editions discussion. Those were all printed 20+ years after the original, of course.

In general, yes, some promo books with special distribution are printed with the regular run and are variants.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

No. A comic cannot be both a variant of and a reprint of the same single issue.

diff.jpg.7fd9ce851bdf98b6f7e3634bdd1366ee.jpg

#1 - The original

#2 - Standard 5/16 convention edition

- Reprint of #1

- Not a variant

#3 - Reprint of #1

- Variant of #2

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

No. A comic cannot be both a variant of and a reprint of the same single issue.

diff.jpg.7fd9ce851bdf98b6f7e3634bdd1366ee.jpg

#1 - The original

#2 - Standard 5/16 convention edition

- Reprint of #1

- Not a variant

#3 - Reprint of #1

- Variant of #2

Nice reprint variants! (thumbsu

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Reprints that identify themselves as variants are legitimately variants in the same way that comics that identify themselves as collector's items are legit collector's items.

:roflmao:

14 hours ago, ygogolak said:

IMG_4540.PNG

Next up . . . Cameo! lol

I love this place! :luhv:

Edited by divad

I had an opportunity to buy a raw Spawn #1 UPC recently for current FMV pricing. It was tempting but at the last minute I came to my senses. Now I love variants, 2nd printings, DCU, etc but I just don't see the big deal about Spawn #1 with the UPC. I suspect, after the few individuals chasing these get a copy, the prices will fall in half.