• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever refused to help another collector complete a book?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, thethedew said:

I figure it's better to know where pages are than not.

Oh for sure. You may have missed my earlier post. I don't have a problem with people who are not willing to sell art to me. They don't owe me anything. And in each these cases as least they've said they will give me the opportunity to buy the page when the time is right for them to sell. 

As you said, at least I know where the pages are. There's satisfaction in that. Wish I could track down the remaining pages.

On 7/3/2017 at 8:10 PM, comix4fun said:

If I was one of the last pages then it's something I'd consider helping out, and I've done that in the past. 

However, I've also been one of the "middle" pages...where the guy is approaching or just passed half-way, and let someone buy a page that I would have otherwise kept. Of course, within a couple of years that guy gave up on the quest and sold all the pages off which I didn't know about until my page was gone, which didn't give me much joy. Nope. 

I just need that gaze into the fist of dredd page to finish the entire prog.  Help me out.

2 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I just need that gaze into the fist of dredd page to finish the entire prog.  Help me out.

Send me your address!! :idea:

Flagging-up your desire to complete a book or, in my case, a storyline, can work both ways.

If you're trying to piece back together something in secret (assuming you're not posting stuff on CAF for the world to see), then no-one knows what you're trying to do - and those collectors who *might* be willing to help out are unable to do so directly.

For a number of years, I've been trying to put back together a 48-page UK serial that originally appeared in 1965 (and reprinted several times over the years) that always remained one of my fondest memories of the era of my comic-collecting youth.  The KELLY'S EYE serial, 'The Vampire of Raffino' (from 'The Valiant' anthology comic-book), illustrated by Francisco Solano Lopez.  Not something I'd expect an American audience to be aware of, but well-regarded (for those of us who remember the serial) in my own country.

As a result of stating my desire to piece back together the serial, I had one collector with a similar aim contact me about a number of pages he owned.  He decided that (based on the number of originals I already possessed) it would be highly-unlikely that I would stand down from my quest and relinquish any of my own pages.  As a result, he released the six pages he owned to me.  Big result.

Another collector, from Spain, owns a single page from the storyline.  He offered me his page in trade, but wants Brian Bolland artwork in exchange that, effectively, is an extortionate expectation on his behalf (I don't own any Bolland artwork to offer him, but if I pursued an example I'd be looking at paying something like 10 x FMV, maybe a lot more,  over the Solano Lopez KELLY'S EYE page).  Sadly, it's not going to happen anytime soon but, hey, I'd prefer to keep some self-respect. 

As it stands, I'm at 32 pages out of a total of 48, so two-thirds of the storyline is a sizeable chunk to own and I'm happy with that.  Further additions would be great, of course, but I don't lie awake at night sweating about it.  What will be, will be . . .

Kelly's Eye.jpg

Edited by The Voord