• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you follow galleries on CAF?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

wondering how many folks are using the follow gallery  function, how you use it and how many do you follow? you can also share what factors you use to decide on following or not? have you un-followed?

Full disclosure - currently following 39 galleries.

I watch galleries of fellow collectors who have similar tastes to my own and would love to add to my collection. Some art is out of my price range but still great to discover. Also watch galleries of artists, dealers and reps who might post art I collection. Currently I am watching about 100 galleries.

14 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

Thanks!  I jumped over the CAF and couldn't find the damn follow gallery option.  ;-)  May need to upgrade soon.

Premium membership is well worth it. Besides being able to watch galleries and support Bill Cox and CAF. It has alot of other great features like daily emails which list CAF auctions and dealers posts which match your personalized keywords.classified  listings, watermarks and larger gallery images.

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Premium membership is well worth it. Besides being able to watch galleries and support Bill Cox and CAF. It has alot of other great features like daily emails which list CAF auctions and dealers posts which match your personalized keywords.classified  listings, watermarks and larger gallery images.

I went ahead and did it.  Love looking at the site, so don't mind supporting it.  Thanks!

As an added question to the main one - when leaving comments for those you follow - do you ever feel compelled to? or not too - because you don't want to over do it?  asking because I noticed some items get a ton of comments right away - and my guess is those folks have a lot of followers.

9 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

As an added question to the main one - when leaving comments for those you follow - do you ever feel compelled to? or not too - because you don't want to over do it?  asking because I noticed some items get a ton of comments right away - and my guess is those folks have a lot of followers.

maybe, but some people also message all the friends, acquaintances, neighbour's dog or anyone that has internet access to essentially ask for comments.

For someone specific that I am thinking of, the most mediocre art gets a ton of comments and people leaving comments aren't CAF users that I recognize.

Malvin

18 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I only comment on art I like if I follow the colllector's CAf gallery or not.

6 minutes ago, malvin said:

maybe, but some people also message all the friends, acquaintances, neighbour's dog or anyone that has internet access to essentially ask for comments.

For someone specific that I am thinking of, the most mediocre art gets a ton of comments and people leaving comments aren't CAF users that I recognize.

Malvin

That's kinda sad, begging your friends for comments so you can feel better about your art.

I have noticed that when I leave comments I often get payback comments.  I assume some guys like to return the favor.  

10 minutes ago, malvin said:

Malvin

Why?  Is it just for virtual karma points and back patting, or are they trying to drive demand for resell later?  Just seems like a lot of effort....

13 minutes ago, malvin said:

Malvin

does it involve gargoyles?

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

That's kinda sad, begging your friends for comments so you can feel better about your art.

I have noticed that when I leave comments I often get payback comments.  I assume some guys like to return the favor.  

I have noticed this too.  makes me wonder If I should do the same? Is there a proper etiquette?

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

I have noticed this too.  makes me wonder If I should do the same? Is there a proper etiquette?

I leave comments for art that elicits some sort of response from me. I've noticed that often times those owners will leave a comment on one of my pieces. I don't expect them to reciprocate, but it sure is nice--especially on pieces that get viewed a lot but never get commented on. I'm not looking for "pats in the back," but I'm interested to know what draws people to click on the art. Anyway, when a stranger comments on one my pieces, I'll browse his gallery only to find that we have the same collecting interest. Thus, one or more of his pieces elicits some sort of response from me. That might be what's happening. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy