• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrets

78 posts in this topic

In the late 80s when SDCC was a small comic convention at that time I had a chance at buying a Batman 1 that was a VF 8.5-9.0 for a 1000.00 but I didn't have the cash oh well.

Edited by Saleen333

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

In 1987 I sold the Church Wonderworld 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, Science 3 and 6, and Larson Mysterymen 10 as a lot for $3000. Top that.

Don't feel so bad.  You made a profit.  Church's relatives sold those same books for what 0.80 cents?

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

In 1987 I sold the Church Wonderworld 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, Science 3 and 6, and Larson Mysterymen 10 as a lot for $3000. Top that.

I think it isn't a matter of what you sold or when but if what you used that money for what was a better, equal or worse investment of your funds. Your level of regrets or not depend on those factors.

A better regret might be in what you sold was something almost unobtainable to ever get back such as a piece of original art or something pretty close to that in rarity.

Now if you simply took that 3k and went out and got roaring drunk and drove through the heart of Texas at 150mph to have unprotected sex with a loose and crazy woman and several of her friends including a sailor in public, on the steps of a church, using an American flag for some  light B&D kind of thing....

only you could answer if that really was a regret.

I just regret not sticking with the hobby.  I have gone through so many buying sprees, then sell offs, because my interests have changed or I needed money for other projects.   The last sell off I did went toward this:  

Merc gas.JPG

23 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I think it isn't a matter of what you sold or when but if what you used that money for what was a better, equal or worse investment of your funds. Your level of regrets or not depend on those factors.

A better regret might be in what you sold was something almost unobtainable to ever get back such as a piece of original art or something pretty close to that in rarity.

Now if you simply took that 3k and went out and got roaring drunk and drove through the heart of Texas at 150mph to have unprotected sex with a loose and crazy woman and several of her friends including a sailor in public, on the steps of a church, using an American flag for some  light B&D kind of thing....

I regret nothing!:sumo:

4 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I just regret not sticking with the hobby.  I have gone through so many buying sprees, then sell offs, because my interests have changed or I needed money for other projects.   The last sell off I did went toward this:  

Merc gas.JPG

You bought a gas station?

7 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Ever since selling my 9.2 X-men #1 in 1980 for $40 I have tried to not make any dumb mistakes...No dumb mistakes, no regerts...hm

And no sales! :)

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I regret everything I have sold over the years, especially the golden age. 

Ditto. Sold so many pre-code icon books (before they exploded yet again), I lost count.

I remember I sold a run of All Winners to Harley. They weren't in amazing shape, but it took a while to put them together. There've been a few other stories like that. I try not to dwell on them.

I never have really sold anything, so my regrets are all comics I passed up. Like an antique shop that had a box of early Archie comics for like a buck a piece and I said nah, they will be there still in a week when I am back that way, of course they weren't. Or the time I could have bought almost the entire run of Marvel Ghost Rider for like 40 bucks and I passed. I could have sold them for way more than that, they were hot at the time I think in the 90s. Oh and a Batman #20, I think it's 20, the one with the batmobile bursting out of the cover. I could have got it for 75 bucks, but no that was too much for me at the time. Stupid.

Edited by catman76

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

This sounds oddly familiar... hm.  If it wasn't Mr. Bedrock (and I'm not saying it wasn't because that guy definitely knows how to party), it probably should have been.

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

The truth is I needed the money for moving expenses. But in hindsight I could have gotten that money selling other stuff. Oh well...

I regret partying too much in the Gaslamp one year at SDCC that I missed my one and only opportunity of owning a high grade copy of Marvel Comics #1 with the October cover date. I have friends and family that own one but that is probably the only book in comics I may never have owned but wanted really badly. I think most everything else I want these days I have a shot at getting at some point.  I won't say I would never consider going for a 6 figure investment in a comic book again but it's probably not in the cards in my near future. That's a big nut to crack for us mortal comic book collectors.

Edited by N e r V

59 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The truth is I needed the money for moving expenses. But in hindsight I could have gotten that money selling other stuff. Oh well...

I know this thread was about regrets which everyone has some but I think yours and a few other collectors here on the boards have such exceptional looking copies of so many books that your wins seem to far out distance any losses you may have had. The only time I ever see copies on regular basis in the grades you have are some original owner collections I know of in the wild.

If you were in baseball you'd be hitting about .900 with 250 HR's a season. 

hard to have too many regrets since I started collecting in 2013.   But I recall the Flash Comics #1 that sold in a clink auction in summer 2015 for $21,750 and I thought man that's a lot of money.  A wrong back cover/trimmed .5 just sold for $10,800 this month (don't know where).  The Flash Comics #1 ship has sailed.

4 minutes ago, atomised said:

hard to have too many regrets since I started collecting in 2013.   But I recall the Flash Comics #1 that sold in a clink auction in summer 2015 for $21,750 and I thought man that's a lot of money.  A wrong back cover/trimmed .5 just sold for $10,800 this month (don't know where).  The Flash Comics #1 ship has sailed.

eBay.  What did the Flash 1 sell for on CLink in 2015?  Grade ??  I regret not collecting in the 90s.