• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrets

78 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

If you were in baseball you'd be hitting about .900 with 250 HR's a season. 

So I should be satisfied with ,900?  You expect me to settle for mediocrity? (shrug)

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I know this thread was about regrets which everyone has some but I think yours and a few other collectors here on the boards have such exceptional looking copies of so many books that your wins seem to far out distance any losses you may have had. The only time I ever see copies on regular basis in the grades you have are some original owner collections I know of in the wild.

If you were in baseball you'd be hitting about .900 with 250 HR's a season. 

Thanks...but I am greedy

On reflection, I find that I dont regret the major departures - it was always for a good reason. But looking back there are regrets regarding specific books that were not high value, but where in retrospect I made an impulsive error. Selling a hi grade Venus #19? No regrets, got top price at the time, money put to good use. But a Planet #35 in 6.0 with gorgeous colors for a few hundred bucks? Man, that still really smarts years later. I'm still looking for that elusive 'upgrade' I now realize I might never find.

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

On reflection, I find that I dont regret the major departures - it was always for a good reason. But looking back there are regrets regarding specific books that were not high value, but where in retrospect I made an impulsive error. Selling a hi grade Venus #19? No regrets, got top price at the time, money put to good use. But a Planet #35 in 6.0 with gorgeous colors for a few hundred bucks? Man, that still really smarts years later. I'm still looking for that elusive 'upgrade' I now realize I might never find.

:baiting:

IMG_5392.JPG

As a dealer in the early 90's when I got out I liquidated over 100 long boxes of silver and bronze at about 15-20 cents on the dollar. There were five complete runs of ASM 1-50 in the last sell off. Two of the #1s were F/VF or better.  Oh well, it felt like a fortune at the time. That collection could support me for 5 years if I had it now.

I have sold a lot of books here in the threads and in private deals for what turned out to be 50% under market selling price just a month later.  I guess I don't regret it too much though because it made friends happy and that makes me feel good. 

I got out of my store a couple years before the Ohio collection walked in the front door for the guy who took over after me.  That stings some.  I don't talk about that much.

The most tangible regret is being at a show in Akron and having a chance to buy a Suspense 3 in VG for $350 and passing because I was focused on SA and BA.  :|

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Anyone who has been collecting for a while and who ever sells stuff has likely sold books for a tiny fraction of their current values.  Given the trajectory of prices for nearly all GA material, that's a given.  So, of course, I would love to have back books I've sold so I could sell them again at today's prices!:)

But I can't say I particularly regret those sales because at the time, I used the dough for other purposes or to buy other books I wanted more.

It's kind of like do I regret not following the advice of people who told me to buy Tesla at $20?  Or the advice of people telling me it was still a buy at $200?  Well, yeah, because I'd have made a lot of money ... but no because at the time I thought it was at best a $5 stock (I still do! :sumo:).

So, I guess I'm in Edith Piaf mode:  I regret nothing!

You want to talk regrets? I lose sleep every night. Back in 2010 I put in a pool for my family and wanted to pay cash. Here is my list of comics I put into auction at Comiclink.  I could have put in 20 pools and had some left over.

4/18/2010 DAREDEVIL #1, CGC 4.0 VG $370
5/28/2010 JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83, CGC 4.0 VG $1,975
5/28/2010 TALES OF SUSPENSE #39, CGC 4.5 VG+ $1,700
5/28/2010 FANTASTIC FOUR #1, CGC 4.0 VG $3,101
6/3/2010 X-MEN #1, CGC 5.0 VGF $1,833
6/14/2010 BATMAN #1, CGC 0.5 PR $1,000
6/25/2010 AMAZING FANTASY #15, CGC 3.5 VG- $4,500
8/24/2010 ALL STAR COMICS #8, CGC 1.5 FRG $2,518
8/26/2010 GREEN LANTERN #1, CGC 4.0 VG $700
8/27/2010 ACTION COMICS #23, CGC 4.0 VG $2,025
8/27/2010 DETECTIVE COMICS #58, CGC 6.0 FN $1,413
8/27/2010 JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1, CGC 4.0 VG $660
8/28/2010 DETECTIVE COMICS #140, CGC 5.0 VGF $1,989
8/28/2010 MORE FUN COMICS #101, CGC 3.0 GVG $901
8/31/2010 ALL-AMERICAN COMICS #61, CGC 1.8 GD- $750
8/31/2010 DETECTIVE COMICS #66, CGC 4.5 VG+ $800
9/4/2010 BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28, CGC 5.0 VGF $1,555
9/16/2010 MORE FUN COMICS #73, CGC 7.0 FVF $7,014
9/24/2010 SHOWCASE #22, CGC 4.0 VG $1,206
9/29/2010 SHOWCASE #4, CGC 5.0 VGF $4,400

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone who has been collecting for a while and who ever sells stuff has likely sold books for a tiny fraction of their current values.  Given the trajectory of prices for nearly all GA material, that's a given.  So, of course, I would love to have back books I've sold so I could sell them again at today's prices!:)

But I can't say I particularly regret those sales because at the time, I used the dough for other purposes or to buy other books I wanted more.

It's kind of like do I regret not following the advice of people who told me to buy Tesla at $20?  Or the advice of people telling me it was still a buy at $200?  Well, yeah, because I'd have made a lot of money ... but no because at the time I thought it was at best a $5 stock (I still do! :sumo:).

Well it's easy not to have regrets when you're the spitting image of Matt Baker. :grin:

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

As a dealer in the early 90's when I got out I liquidated over 100 long boxes of silver and bronze at about 15-20 cents on the dollar. There were five complete runs of ASM 1-50 in the last sell off. Two of the #1s were F/VF or better.  Oh well, it felt like a fortune at the time. That collection could support me for 5 years if I had it now.

I have sold a lot of books here in the threads and in private deals for what turned out to be 50% under market selling price just a month later.  I guess I don't regret it too much though because it made friends happy and that makes me feel good. 

I got out of my store a couple years before the Ohio collection walked in the front door for the guy who took over after me.  That stings some.  I don't talk about that much.

The most tangible regret is being at a show in Akron and having a chance to buy a Suspense 3 in VG for $350 and passing because I was focused on SA and BA.  :|

What was your store called?

(please don't let it be Ricksneatstuff. lol )

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This sounds like me. I've been lucky -- I've had fun along the way and the stuff I sold went to fund other stuff I still like, so there's no obvious missteps that come to mind that haunt me unreasonably.

Hypothetically, it would have been great to have had the foresight to scoop up keys and high grade books at (say) 2005 prices... but it's very, very likely I would have cashed out early, so I'd have regrets today in any case. :)

6 minutes ago, Point Five said:

This sounds like me. I've been lucky -- I've had fun along the way and the stuff I sold went to fund other stuff I still like, so there's no obvious missteps that come to mind that haunt me unreasonably.

Hypothetically, it would have been great to have had the foresight to scoop up keys and high grade books at (say) 2005 prices... but it's very, very likely I would have cashed out early, so I'd have regrets today in any case. :)

Just think if Overstreet or Nic Cage hadn't cashed out what the net worth of those books would be in this market :smile:

16 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Just think if Overstreet or Nic Cage hadn't cashed out what the net worth of those books would be in this market :smile:

If Overstreet hadn't cashed out the market would be significantly different.

8 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That last one does sting just hearing about it.  My specialty has been to find and discover truly undervalued, cool books, buy them, have them for a year or two, discover other cool and undervalued books, sell the first group for less than I paid as nobody else has caught on yet so I can pay for new comics.  Usually 6-12 months later, my cast offs get hot and multiply in value.  It's a pattern I can't seem to break.  Even when I manage to keep a comic for 8-10 years, it still goes up right after I sell.

The only upside is that I mostly only sell to friends and board members so at least they benefit.