• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

Mark when you get it I be curious whether it is just a dummy to protect a copyright or just a black and white of the color comic. (UT- oh silly, silly me.....it is slabbed...ah history hidden from view. smirk.gif)

Jon

I

This one is for my non-sale personal collection of legal related items. So maybe I can be tempted to break it out one day! insane.gif

This one is for my non-sale personal collection of legal related items. So maybe I can be tempted to break it out one day! insane.gif

Come on you know you want to read about Madam Fatal - she looks like a hotty and Slap Happy Pappy. Plus in 4.0 I think you can safely Crack that one!

Here is the text that accompanied that Heritage auction. I believe I was the underbidder on that book, or came close.

Superman Comics #nn Ashcan (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages. For any Superman title collector, this is the ultimate item to acquire. This ashcan features the cover art from Action Comics #7 (which was rendered by Joe Siegel and Jerry Shuster) and a partial interior from Action Comics #8. DC produced Ashcans to secure the trademark and copyright to the title and logo. Hence, this is the first time that Superman Comics appeared on a published cover anywhere in history. Accordingly, this item might theoretically be valued much higher than the actual Superman #1 that got newsstand distribution. There are only two known copies of this ashcan, and both were purchased from Sol Harrison who worked his way up from a production assistant to President at DC comics. Again, as only a handful of ashcans were needed, they were produced by hand. The cover stock used is velox paper, which is the same material used to shoot the completed artwork of a regular comic book. Velox paper is noted for its ability to create crisp and clear lines from the artwork. Consequently, the detail on ashcans is unsurpassed. This ultimate Superman collectible has staples that are about an inch off center that go clean through to the other side of the comic. The cover is hand trimmed with nary a detracting factor. Once the importance of ashcans are fully realized by the marketplace, their values should soar.

Might as well post all the ashcans Heritage has sold. There are not many. One discrepancy that comes to mind that I don't know the answer to is why does my Crack #1 ashcan not have on the label that it was made to secure trademark/copyright like the others? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

807125002o.jpg

Flash Comics Ashcan Edition V1#1 (DC, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages. In late 1939, DC and Fawcett, coveting this title, each raced to get its own ashcan version printed and a copyright secured. Each succeeded in printing an ashcan, but DC beat Fawcett to the punch, ever so barely, and gained the copyright to Flash Comics. The title became one of DC's mainstay Golden Age series, and, later, in 1956, the prime namesake character, The Flash, was instrumental in launching the Silver Age. This offering was acquired directly from long-time Golden Age DC Editor/Production Manager Sol Harrison, who was an excellent custodian of the rare copy. At NM+ 9.6, this beauty is not only the highest-graded DC ashcan known, it may be the highest-graded copy of any ashcan. The cover is a Leo O'Mealia creation for Adventure Comics #41, and the interior was lifted from All-American Comics #8, which featured the first appearance of the Ultra Man. If you're into "one of a kind", you're going to love this! This book is not listed in Overstreet.

807078029o.jpg

Superboy Ashcan #nn (DC, 1942) CGC NM- 9.2 Cream to off-white pages. Every once in a while a publisher would come up with a sure-fire comic title and need to secure it before another publisher nabbed it. To do so, they had to produce a copy of the comic for the Trademark Office. As inventive as comic people are, they found a loophole in the method of submitting a book. They would print up a cover, usually black and white, using previously used artwork, and slap a new logo on it. They would take the new cover, wrap it around a coverless, previously issued comic, and voila... instant trademark. This ashcan is of extreme importance showing that DC trademarked the title Superboy a full three years before the character was even conceived, and seven years before the title actually appeared. Since Superboy did not yet exist, the cover used was from Detective #57. Ashcans are still under-valued considering their importance and rarity, so jump on the bandwagon and throw a bid at this one.

807014002o.jpg

Thrill Comics #1 Ashcan Edition (Fawcett, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 White pages. The most fascinating of the ashcan books, Thrill Comics, and its companion Flash Comics, ended the long-standing mystery of Whiz #1. For years, no one could explain whatever happened to the first issue of Whiz until the mid-'80s, when someone stumbled upon multiple copies of two strange-looking books with Capt. Marvel on the cover. Both were identical except for the titles; one was called Flash (eight existing copies), and the other Thrill (three existing copies). The interior was composed of pages 1-7 and 13 of the Captain Marvel story from Whiz #2, yet he carried the name of Captain Thunder. Fawcett apparently made a mad dash to copyright these two titles, but was beaten to the punch by DC (who nabbed Flash) and Nedor (who scored Thrilling). Even Captain Thunder's name was scrapped, thanks to Terry Thunder at Fiction House. Regrouping, Fawcett finally got their act together and put out Whiz Comics, re-lettering Capt. Marvel's name throughout the story. These 11 issues were quickly absorbed into the market for around $10,000 each during the late '80s, and few have been offered for sale since. Of the three Thrill copies found, this may be the nicest, grading VF 8.0 with white pages. A very light stain is present on the right side, along with minor wear at the top edge near the spine. Considering that the cover, rendered by Leo O'Mealia, was only printed on this issue, its appeal is even greater. Another copy may not surface for sale for quite some time; take advantage of this unique opportunity. From the collection of Nicolas Cage.

806025004o.jpg

5 Cent Comics Ashcan #nn (Fawcett, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. This ashcan features the first appearance of Dan Dare. There are only two known copies and this is the highest graded copy. Ashcans are some of the rarest and most important items in the world of comic collecting. The lucky bidder who wins this item will have a truly unique and prized treasure. This gorgeous example features sharp printing and square corners. Overstreet 2002 NM 9.4 value = $7,000.

806025006o.jpg

Nickel Comics #1 Ashcan (Fawcett, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. Some three months before the first issue would hit the stands, the ashcan copy was printed. Featured herein is the first appearance of Scoop Smith, "daring young newspaper reporter whose beat is the entire world". Unfortunately, Scoop's career didn't fare nearly as well as this phenomenal ashcan copy. Not listed in Overstreet 2002. Value of Nickel Comics #1 in Overstreet 2002 in NM 9.4 = $4,800.

805001091o.jpg

Action Comics #1 (Ashcan) (DC, 1938). This gruesome Craig Flessel cover graces the comic that was used to register the trademark and logo for Action Comics, where, only a few months later, Superman had his historic world premiere. The source for this and most other DC ashcans, was Sol Harrison, who worked for DC for 35 years. Very few ashcans were created to begin with and, of these, only a tiny fraction remain. Even more unusual is that this is the only ashcan whose cover art was not recycled from published art. Despite extensive searching over the past 15 years, only three copies (including this one) of the Action ashcan are known to exist, and one of those is in the permanent archives of DC comics, and the other is in the hands of a long-time ashcan collector. One of the two known Superman ashcans sold last year for more than $20,000. This truly rare and important ashcan is an opportunity that should not be missed.

803073002o.jpg

House of Mystery Ashcan NN (DC, 1951) Condition: FN+ This item is a true piece of history. Ashcans were used to secure the copyright for the title and only a few were made. Presumably, DC produced this ashcan to secure the title for its first horror book. All ashcans were produced by hand and as such, this copy was hand stapled and is untrimmed. The pages on this book are a very nice off-white. There are only two known copies of this particular ashcan and the other one is secured in the archives of DC's vaults. The cover image is from the powerful and exciting Danger Trail #3, and the interior is from Star Spangled #109. Because the book is untrimmed, there is some light damage to the top and bottom edges of the cover. All in all, this would be a truly unique and historically important addition to any collection.

803073001o.jpg

Mysterious Stranger Ashcan #nn (DC, 1952) Condition: FN/VF This is an ashcan used to secure the copyright for Mysterious Stranger. While DC did not produce a title called Mysterious Stranger, it did produce the short-lived Phantom Stranger run in the 1950s. Apparently, DC was trying to decide between the two titles for their series. While they ultimately chose Phantom Stranger, the Phantom Stranger ashcan is out of the collector market as it is in DC's vaults. Consequently, this item is an extremely important piece of comic history. Because they were only interested in securing the title copyright, DC used whatever they had handy for the cover image and interior. The cover image is from All Star Western #60 and the interior is from Sensation Comics #100; it illustrates the action oriented nature of DC covers from this time period. As all ashcans were hand produced, this item is untrimmed and has some very minor scuffing on the cover. The pages are a supple cream to off-white.

803073003o.jpg

Mystery Trail Ashcan NN (DC, 1950) Condition: FN/VF This historic Ashcan secured the title copyright for DC Mystery Trail was planned as a companion title to Danger Trail and Romance Trail. Interestingly, the title was actually listed as a regular DC title in the Adventures of Alan Ladd #9. There is only one known copy of this historic item as there are none in DC's vaults. As DC was only interested in securing the copyright for the title, they used whatever cover image and interior that was convenient. The cover image is from Danger Trail #3 and the interior is from Star Spangled Comics #109. The action-packed cover image is a true fan favorite and is reminiscent of Jack Kirby artwork from this period. Because all ashcans were hand produced, they were hand stapled and hand trimmed. The staples are off center on the back cover and the cover overhangs the interior. The pages are supple and cream to off-white.

802055001o.jpg

Wonder Woman Ashcan #1 (DC, 1942). Ever since their discovery several years ago, the DC ashcans have caused a sensation in the collecting world. Late last year, a Superman #1 ashcan brought over $36,000 at auction. The Wonder Woman ashcan offered here is one of the few that were machine stitched and trimmed. In other words, it's not hand-stapled and trimmed like the Superman ashcan was. It looks like a regular Golden Age comic book with a black and white cover. Adding to its desirability is the fact that it is truly unique, whereas at least two copies of the Superman ashcan are known to exist. The cover, dated Jan. 1942 and numbered # 1, features cover art by H. G. Peter, that would eventually be used for Sensation # 1. The most noticeable difference is the logo that has been changed to "Wonder Woman". The interior presents the Wonder Woman story from Sensation Comics # 2. Since Sensation Comics # 1 is cover dated January, 1942, it's clear that M.C. Gaines and his business partners at DC produced this ashcan immediately upon their realization that Wonder Woman was going to be a huge hit. They rushed this ashcan into production to secure the trademark for what would become the world's most popular female superhero. The first issue of Wonder Woman, dated Summer 1942, quickly followed. In what appears to be a receipt of some kind, the words "Registered U.S.P.O. 1942" are written in pencil below the logo on the cover. U.S.P.O. in this context refers to the United States Patent Office, where copies of ashcans were sent to register trademarks. The copyright notice has a pencil mark through it that looks like someone either checked that it was properly there, or that "copyright 1941 by M.C. Gaines" was incorrect. In any case, it serves to solidify the historical importance of this unbelievably rare pop culture artifact. This is literally the first edition of Wonder Woman, a title that has run uninterrupted for sixty years. Arguably the most valuable ashcan in existence due to its rarity and historical significance, this is an elusive treasure not to be missed. CGC VF+ 8.5 Cream to off-white pages.

That is all there is on Heritage. So the list so far is as follows:

(1) Crack Comics #1 Ashcan Edition (Quality, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 White pages

(2) Superman Comics #nn Ashcan (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages

(3) Flash Comics Ashcan Edition V1#1 (DC, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages

(4) Superboy Ashcan #nn (DC, 1942) CGC NM- 9.2 Cream to off-white pages

(5) Thrill Comics #1 Ashcan Edition (Fawcett, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 White pages

(6) 5 Cent Comics Ashcan #nn (Fawcett, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages

(7) Nickel Comics #1 Ashcan (Fawcett, 1940) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages

(8) Action Comics #1 (Ashcan) (DC, 1938) CGC 9.0 Cream to Off-White pages

(9) House of Mystery Ashcan NN (DC, 1951) Condition: FN+

(10) Mysterious Stranger Ashcan #nn (DC, 1952) Condition: FN/

(11) Mystery Trail Ashcan NN (DC, 1950) Condition: FN/

(12) Wonder Woman Ashcan #1 (DC, 1942) CGC 8.5 Cream to Off-White page

Any others?

Mark:

Wow, I owned all those DCs at one time...

If you have access to Mastronet catalogs you'll find the All-Star, Cyclone, and O.K ashcans.

Comic Book Marketplace has all the DC's pictured as well as a census.

Here's a couple I have scans of...

--Gary

819157-All-AmericanAshcan3.jpg.486bb09d6df753db5bc8bc1eb278cfc2.jpg

And not to split hairs or pick nits, but it's important to know that ashcans were created to secure trademarks - not copyrights. They had nothing to do with characters - just titles.

--Gary

Mark:

If you have access to Mastronet catalogs you'll find the All-Star, Cyclone, and O.K ashcans.

--Gary

Very cool and interesting thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif

819157-All-AmericanAshcan3.jpg

Mark:

Now that is impressive! thumbsup2.gif I seem to recall you mentioning that in another thread. How was it you came to have owned them all? Auctions? Dealers?

Anyone have access to these and can scan them?

I only see the All-American.

Thanks Gary!!

And not to split hairs or pick nits, but it's important to know that ashcans were created to secure trademarks - not copyrights. They had nothing to do with characters - just titles.

I live to nitpick. Actually, I stated both simply from copying Heritage's listings as seen above. Obviously someone then gave them bad info.

Any clue as to why my Crack ashcan doesn't indicate on the CGC label that it was for trademark purposes?