• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

Well there you go!!!

Thanks for the analysis Gary.

Is there anyone from those days still around who might know?

Maybe someone's grand parents? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well keep in mind a lot of the industry folks running the biz (or at least working on the books) were in their late teens to early 30s, so it is conceivable someone might be around today. The event in question was 68 years ago. They could be in their late 80s to late 90s and lucid.

Mine. cloud9.gifacclaim.gif

819039367o.jpg

Can I borrow it so I can make a copy? poke2.gif

You can already see as much as I will ever see too since he can't breathe! gossip.gif

You should crack it out and read it! poke2.gif

Oh yeah, It has Whiz Comics 2-15 but the Captain Marvel Stories only. Which is one of the draw backs on the DC Archives. I would love to see full reprints but you will only get those with the Alan Lights. I don't know about the famous first editions.

The latest addition to the collection.

One of only three known copies to exist, this Fawcett ashcan, with its companion "Flash Comics", helped explain what happened to Whiz #1. The interior is composed of pages 1-7 and 13 of the Captain Marvel story from Whiz #2, yet he carried the name of Captain Thunder. DC nabbed the "Flash" title and Nedor beat Fawcett to "Thrilling". Thus, "Whiz" was born.

Thrillcomics.jpg