• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

As an attorney, I find the existence of ashcan copies to be of interest given their legal significance. I have certainly seen copies for sale of several different books and I understand that there were usually a few (1-6?) copies of each made.

I just picked up my first ashcan copy today through Heritage.

816011022o.jpg

I would love to see other copies of different books and get a better handle on how many copies of each would likely exist.

Mark:

Was distracted and let this slip by. Very nice price for this book. If you want a quick flip, let me know!

My CBM # 71 article has a census of DC ashcans. I also own a Champion ashcan and bought and sold a Cyclone and an O.K.

Again, congrats on a great book at a great price (I estimated it would sell in the $1,500 - $2,500 range...).

--Gary

Are those really "ashcan" copies in the same vein as the GA books, i.e., securing copyright???????

Of course not, these modern ashcans are just gimmicks to get fanboys to buy more books. "Collect `em all!" They`re ashcans in name only, not in substance.

The 1991 catalogue from the comic auction at Sotheby's featured a two page listing on Fawcett ashcans including Flash Comics #1, Nickel Comics #1, and Slam Bang Comics #1.

Are those really "ashcan" copies in the same vein as the GA books, i.e., securing copyright???????

Of course not, these modern ashcans are just gimmicks to get fanboys to buy more books. "Collect `em all!" They`re ashcans in name only, not in substance.

What does "ashcan" even mean in the modern context? Is it explained what an "ashcan" is, or is the term just simply placed on the book to try and distinguis it as some alternative version to drive up sales?

The 1991 catalogue from the comic auction at Sotheby's featured a two page listing on Fawcett ashcans including Flash Comics #1, Nickel Comics #1, and Slam Bang Comics #1.

Any chance you can post the pages?

or is the term just simply placed on the book to try and distinguis it as some alternative version to drive up sales?

we have a winner!

Actually for these modern "ashcans" - the term means that they should literally be tossed in the ashcan after reading ( if not before).

Thanks Tom. I'll just buy it. Everyone stay away from this auction!!! takeit.gif

If someone does outbid you, rest easy. That's the easiest of the Sotheby's catalogs to get...

Speaking of relative difficulty... anyone got an extra copy of the tough 1992 catalog lying around? Or the 1994 and 1995 Catalogs from Christies?

Thanks Tom. I'll just buy it. Everyone stay away from this auction!!! takeit.gif

If someone does outbid you, rest easy. That's the easiest of the Sotheby's catalogs to get...

Speaking of relative difficulty... anyone got an extra copy of the tough 1992 catalog lying around? Or the 1994 and 1995 Catalogs from Christies?

Rob,

how much do these go for in general? Could you give me the value of the common ones and then the value of the ones you consider tough? Just curious.

I've spent no more than $10 for every one that I've ever bought on ebay. That's about what I'd expect to pay for the 1994 and 1995 Christies catalogs. I'm just waiting until I see them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'd pay more than that for the 1992 Sotheby's catalog.

As an attorney, I find the existence of ashcan copies to be of interest given their legal significance. I have certainly seen copies for sale of several different books and I understand that there were usually a few (1-6?) copies of each made.

I just picked up my first ashcan copy today through Heritage.

816011022o.jpg

Mark when you get it I be curious whether it is just a dummy to protect a copyright or just a black and white of the color comic. (UT- oh silly, silly me.....it is slabbed...ah history hidden from view. smirk.gif)

Jon

I