• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Guys Take Chances With New Sellers?

19 posts in this topic

how do you folkds approach this?

I usually avoid them, as most books are pretty common and another copy from a reputable seller will usually show up before too long. If it's a very hard-to-find book or the one book I need to complete a run, for a example, I'll consider other factors - is the seller domestic or foreign (for example, we all know to avoid that obvious Australia-based scam seller of high grade Spideys), what kind of payment methods does he accept, what other books is he selling (are they all expensive, high-grade books that the seller may be listing in a one-time, rip as many people as I can before people catch on scam?) and can he provide a CGC serial number for the book. If there are no obvious red flags, I'll go ahead and bid, but I still would bid around 25% less than I ordinarily would just as further precaution. Even if the seller is legit, he may have little experience in packaging & shipping CGC books, for example...just too many risk factors to consider.

Gene

Since I mainly buy orig. comic art, I like new sellers. U can usually make them a reasonable offer up front to end their art auction early to avoid crazy snipers at the end of the auction who may jack up the final price to the moon. frown.gif

I just took a chance on a (0) seller out of SC. The books I bid on were Mid Grade GA. I placed my bid at vg and won four of them. Now I will just wait and see how they grade out and if they are what he sold them as then I will certainly buy more.

I only buy high end books from dealers I know or those who are talked about positively on this forum. As an example, the person selling the B&B #54 CGC 9.4 at the moment on ebay would never get a bid from me because even though it may be legit it is too much of a risk.

For common books I agree that you don't have to take a chance with new sellers as there are always copies around to buy from more seasoned operators.

well - the auction i've been looking at is for this sweet book:

I have to wonder why his only feedback (positive as a buyer)( is for a Next Men #21 if the seller claims "I have not been involved with comics for about 12 years, but I still know the basics."

Not only that, the book is certainly not rare - maybe harder to find in 9.8 but wioth this census?

Subby 1 '68

Were I in the market for one I would look elsewhere. May shoot myself if it turns out genuine but over time the careful earn the most! grin.gif

Pov - scoop on the Western Penn CGC 9.8 submariner 1 is that it was sold earlier last year for $1500; this is not the winner of that auction. I don't know if this is another copy? So Western Penn had doubles of Sub-Mariner 1 at CGC 9.8? Doubtful... shocked.gif

WHen that happens to me, I'll either:

1) Cancel & block the bidder

2) E-Mail to see if the bidder

3) Let them bid & if they win & don't pay, within set rules, they'll get a negative

Hope that helps. I don't spend much time thniking/dealing with deadbeat bidders.