• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This thread is : CLASSIFIED !!

148 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Being a Brit, had you ever heard of this paper before ?  I believe it was the central gathering place for all comic collecting news and deals  right up until the internet took over. 

I know it's just history and maybe kind of boring, but I'm crushed to see that the booze thread (wild turkey) is getting more likes, views and comments than this one :frown:  :frown:

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but which paper do you mean, Mike?

34 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Being a Brit, had you ever heard of this paper before ?  I believe it was the central gathering place for all comic collecting news and deals  right up until the internet took over. 

I know it's just history and maybe kind of boring, but I'm crushed to see that the booze thread (wild turkey) is getting more likes, views and comments than this one :frown:  :frown:

It's all good, Mike!  :banana:

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but which paper do you mean, Mike?

This one.  All these ads came from the pages of this paper which ran through the 70's , 80's , 90's and right up until 2014 or so I think. 

IMG_20170718_111844918_HDR_zpsbopxfvoe.j

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

Mail bids!

So that's how it was done before the Internet.

Tough to put in a last second thrill bid to win it all. 

I remember Comic Heaven in Texas having their annual mail bid auction.  You'd fill out a max bid sheet on the books you wanted, and indicate the top amount you could pay for all books won, so you wouldn't win too much.  No scans/photos or PQ - just a grade.  I won an FF 117 in supposed NM, but it had a sun shadow on the open edge! :cry: 

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I remember Comic Heaven in Texas having their annual mail bid auction.  You'd fill out a max bid sheet on the books you wanted, and indicate the top amount you could pay for all books won, so you wouldn't win too much.  No scans/photos or PQ - just a grade.  I won an FF 117 in supposed NM, but it had a sun shadow on the open edge! :cry: 

I think my return rate was about 30-40% the one time I bought in that auction.

35 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think my return rate was about 30-40% the one time I bought in that auction.

Yeah - the grading really wasn't at standards, especially since I think the guy was Overstreet Advisor.  Maybe not.

I bid on three or four of their auctions and finally learned my lesson.  After I got here on the Boards, most of my money is spent right here.

6 hours ago, Senormac said:

This one.  All these ads came from the pages of this paper which ran through the 70's , 80's , 90's and right up until 2014 or so I think. 

IMG_20170718_111844918_HDR_zpsbopxfvoe.j

I saw Comics Buyers Guide for the first time in the early 80s.

I wasn’t sure if the ads were from that or from Rocket Blast Comic Collector, which I only discovered a few years ago after buying a couple of Bronze Age copies with Richard Corben covers from the greatly-missed Howard Greber, who also had an ad in one issue.  A very interesting fanzine.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Wow!!  Here is a full double page spread ad for Barry's Gorblimey Press.  This ad appeared in the Oct. '75 TBG and Conan #24 was a March '73 pub date, so Barry had been done with Conan (except for Red Nails) for a little while.  Looks like he was making an independent artist statement with this ad. 

TBG%20102%20gg_zpssho2pw0s.jpg

Back to classifieds...... 

This one brings back lots of memories because I was a MVS collector.  I had the booklet and filled it up too, and somewhere out there is a Hulk #181 ( and a #180 too probably) with a little square cut out of one of the interior pages.  Yea, that was me  lol

TBG%20106%20h_zpskai6uwtk.jpg

marvel%20value%20stamp%20book_zpsypg7ksy

Buck Rogers used to be so hip.  So way back when.  So early years.  But now, I wonder if collectors even know who he is ?

TBG%20106%20e_zps1a8drypj.jpg