• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat press machine

85 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I understand but the problem for me is they put their 'experiments' into the marketplace with no disclosure. If I need electrical work on my house, I call a licensed electrician. I don't call somebody that is just learning. In this guy's particular case, saying it's so easy his 9 year can do it, is just wrong. This is the same guy that was recently asking how to value his comics and now he is so good at pressing he is giving us advice. 

You have a valid point Bob. No one is saying you cannot learn, but the problem most have is they buy a press, they press 9.8’s into 9.8’s and afer working on 25 books they have a pressing service up and running on Facebook. When they get hit with harder books to work on the figure I’ll just keep pressing it until I get it right. One guy on these boards claimed to have pressed the same book 8 times “till he got it right”. From what I see from most DIY presser (not all, as there are many with real skill) are focusing on pennies while the dollars fly right by  

If you are going to do it for yourself, keep it that way as there is no real need to broadcast it. If you sell a book it would be nice if full disclosure was made that the book was not only pressed, but a DIY pressing. Regarding the 9 year old doing it, I am sure a 9 year old could also operate by following certain steps. So who wants to be his patient?

19 minutes ago, joeypost said:

You have a valid point Bob. No one is saying you cannot learn, but the problem most have is they buy a press, they press 9.8’s into 9.8’s and afer working on 25 books they have a pressing service up and running on Facebook. When they get hit with harder books to work on the figure I’ll just keep pressing it until I get it right. One guy on these boards claimed to have pressed the same book 8 times “till he got it right”. From what I see from most DIY presser (not all, as there are many with real skill) are focusing on pennies while the dollars fly right by  

If you are going to do it for yourself, keep it that way as there is no real need to broadcast it. If you sell a book it would be nice if full disclosure was made that the book was not only pressed, but a DIY pressing. Regarding the 9 year old doing it, I am sure a 9 year old could also operate by following certain steps. So who wants to be his patient?

You were a DIY presser at one point, no? You worked hard at it, and gained a great reputation.  People who press for money and don't do a good job will put themselves out of work. 

I agree anyone who sells a book should disclose it. I think its a travesty that at least one of the grading services will press your books for you but not bother to notate it on the label. Not sure how we can expect amateurs  to follow a different set of rules than the industry leader.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You were a DIY presser at one point, no? You worked hard at it, and gained a great reputation.  People who press for money and don't do a good job will put themselves out of work. 

I agree anyone who sells a book should disclose it. I think its a travesty that at least one of the grading services will press your books for you but not bother to notate it on the label. Not sure how we can expect amateurs  to follow a different set of rules than the industry leader.

Keep in mind it was years before I pressed books for others, and only when approached. I never solicited early on until I was sure I had a handle on things. I am still learning and hope to continue to do so until it is time to put the pencil down. 

I wish I could show all the messes I get in from collectors who had a “friend” press some books for them. It is amazing as it ranges from books that appear “spongy” due to being overly hydrated to “charred” where the gloss has been burnt off the covers. That is something I can see a 9 year old doing. 

On 10/13/2017 at 12:38 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

How does one ascertain that he knows what he is doing with a press?  And how do you define 'good results' ? This thread scares me. Most of you seem to think the most difficult part of pressing is buying the right machine and locating the ON button. IMO, 'good results' are obtained if you cannot tell the book was pressed. I'm seeing so much product out there that looks obviously pressed, squished spines, unusually flat surface, etc. A dealer at a small local con had a small collection of Silver that he obviously pressed. The books were very dirty and he pressed all the dirt into the books. They looked terrible but he thought he did a marvelous job. Scary. Continue on.

There's a lot of bad info being thrown around, especially on Facebook pressing groups. People think using a t shirt heat press is the way to go cause they got it cheap off of ebay/Amazon are just fooling themselves. I saw a guy on youtube teaching people how to get rid of spine ticks on a book. he placed a piece of the wrong kind of SRP on the book's edge and ran a clothes iron over the book and stuffed backing boards under the cover...Gee, I wonder if that's how Joey does it???  I just shake my head in disbelief.    

41 minutes ago, shadroch said:

People who press for money and don't do a good job will put themselves out of work. 

Agreed but guys like this are working on their own books and then putting them into the marketplace. Even complete hacks can get away with this forever. I don't think this guy is qualified to give advice on the subject. Look at his posts, he seems to contradict himself. In one post he says he is turning 8's into 9.6/9.8's. Then in another post he says he has never submitted a book. A few weeks ago he was asking us how to assign value to his comics and now he is an expert giving us advice. I'm just calling it as I see it. He is probably telling his Facebook friends how he so good he gives advice on the CGC Boards. 

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe you are wrong, to do the job correctly you need more skills than you or your 9 year old obviously have. I hope you are pressing for your own collection and do not put this stuff into the marketplace.

Its just an expression.  Although i could probably teach him.  Your comment is silly, how do you know what these come out looking like, you are just assuming that someone can't do research, practice and put out a good product on their own.  Why, because a company with an expensive press says so? These things come out looking like glass,  I will post some pictures when I get a chance.  I have an Iron fist #15 that the before and after is amazing.   

Years ago I purchased a VF range Avengers 16 from a boardie. When it arrived, it had obviously been squashed to death and over heated with flyaway corners. The pressing was undisclosed at the time of sale. It looked okay in a Mylar, but it was a total amateur hack job. 

I sent it to Joey and he did his thing, which I assumed included humidifying to breathe some life back into the paper. He did a great job of fixing the previous amateur press. He saved the book. (thumbsu

As a side note...

i haven’t been as focused on the hobby for the last few years. Catching up on these boards, I am shocked at what a cottage industry pressing has become. It seems as if every other collector has a press in the basement. To the point where there are entire Facebook groups dedicated to pressing techniques?  ?

Edited by Mr. Zipper

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Keep in mind it was years before I pressed books for others, and only when approached. I never solicited early on until I was sure I had a handle on things. I am still learning and hope to continue to do so until it is time to put the pencil down. 

I wish I could show all the messes I get in from collectors who had a “friend” press some books for them. It is amazing as it ranges from books that appear “spongy” due to being overly hydrated to “charred” where the gloss has been burnt off the covers. That is something I can see a 9 year old doing. 

What's worse...the DIY presser who after 20 books thinks they've got it down pat or the person who's done it a little longer but claims he's one of a "handful" of people on the planet who can do it right because pressing is more art than science, almost breaking his arm by patting himself on the back so much?

1 hour ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Years ago I purchased a VF range Avengers 16 from a boardie. When it arrived, it had obviously been squashed to death and over heated with flyaway corners. The pressing was undisclosed at the time of sale. It looked okay in a Mylar, but it was a total amateur hack job. 

I sent it to Joey and he did his thing, which I assumed included humidifying to breathe some life back into the paper. He did a great job of fixing the previous amateur press. He saved the book. (thumbsu

As a side note...

i haven’t been as focused on the hobby for the last few years. Catching up on these boards, I am shocked at what a cottage industry pressing has become. It seems as if every other collector has a press in the basement. To the point where there are entire Facebook groups dedicated to pressing techniques?  ?

Yes but 99% of the people in the FB groups share bad techniques, It's all bad advice. I've called someone out who just started pressing his books a month and then goes on to try and teach someone else. Needless to say people flipped out, so I said "It's like a teenager who had his driving license a month and is now trying to teach someone else how to drive"  Pressing isn't about turning it on, stick a comic in and suddenly you are open for business. You have to look at the book and determine what needs to be done and how you are going to tackle those defects. Not everything comes out and you might even still be able to see some of those defects still present under the light even though it appears smooth.  

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I understand but the problem for me is they put their 'experiments' into the marketplace with no disclosure. If I need electrical work on my house, I call a licensed electrician. I don't call somebody that is just learning. In this guy's particular case, saying it's so easy his 9 year can do it, is just wrong. This is the same guy that was recently asking how to value his comics and now he is so good at pressing he is giving us advice. 

My god man, i am not doing this as a business, just sharing what I have learned because the results have been very good.  I have no desire to do this for people, none at all.  Im just trying to help people who may want to try it on their own.  And at the same time receive advice from people who have done it themselves.  

I was asking what grading teir to choose from based on pre and post cgc, to which last i checked no one responded.  But I figured it out anyway.  What does one have to do with the other.  Im not pretending to be some comic guru and come off arrogant so please dont misunderstand.  If you dont want to do this then dont, but i took a chance and did it myself with a lot of success.

Not a great copy of this either way and needs probably two more rounds in the humidity chamber and press.   But these are before.

20180130_173314.thumb.jpg.4d923c9526310cbf3d5e78f0794a0cb0.jpg20180130_173336.thumb.jpg.596fc644670ef53bc5bcf0f935a35544.jpg20180130_173355.thumb.jpg.9beb15dffa1b5eb13b35addd8b320d1d.jpg

AFTER 1 humidify and 1 press.

20180331_184426.jpg

Edited by BrntWS6

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Agreed but guys like this are working on their own books and then putting them into the marketplace. Even complete hacks can get away with this forever. I don't think this guy is qualified to give advice on the subject. Look at his posts, he seems to contradict himself. In one post he says he is turning 8's into 9.6/9.8's. Then in another post he says he has never submitted a book. A few weeks ago he was asking us how to assign value to his comics and now he is an expert giving us advice. I'm just calling it as I see it. He is probably telling his Facebook friends how he so good he gives advice on the CGC Boards. 

I own several 9.8s but yes, I never submitted a book of my own at the time.   And I don't even have a FB account, why would I brag to any friends about collecting comics of all things.  Most of my friends are car guys and don't even know I collect, they would probably laugh at me if I told them.  All I am doing is sharing what I have learned so far.  And I think most people could press books themselves without much trouble.   

1 hour ago, BrntWS6 said:

I own several 9.8s but yes, I never submitted a book of my own at the time.   And I don't even have a FB account, why would I brag to any friends about collecting comics of all things.  Most of my friends are car guys and don't even know I collect, they would probably laugh at me if I told them.  All I am doing is sharing what I have learned so far.  And I think most people could press books themselves without much trouble.   

If they would laugh at you because you collect comics then find some new friends

55 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

If they would laugh at you because you collect comics then find some new friends

Thats just a natural reaction some people have.  I understand, most people on the outside think of comics as something for kids. You have to educate people on certain things and this is one of them usually.  Once you spend a bit talking about the hobby people come around.  Especially when you start telling them prices of books.  

1 hour ago, BrntWS6 said:

Thats just a natural reaction some people have.  I understand, most people on the outside think of comics as something for kids. You have to educate people on certain things and this is one of them usually.  Once you spend a bit talking about the hobby people come around.  Especially when you start telling them prices of books.  

I think with the advent of the movies, shows like Big Bang, the popularity of cosplay, etc, many have a different attitude. Collecting comics is a geek thing and being a geek is now trendy.

3 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

You seem like a good, level headed guy. I'm glad you didn't take the criticism too personally. It's just that giving pressing advice is generally frowned upon here, mostly because our host has a pressing service. It's in poor taste to offer alternatives to their service.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

You seem like a good, level headed guy. I'm glad you didn't take the criticism too personally. It's just that giving pressing advice is generally frowned upon here, mostly because our host has a pressing service. It's in poor taste to offer alternatives to their service.

Not worried about criticism, I'm happy to answer questions since my results clearly work.  I've seen multiple threads discussing cbcs and have seen at least one person in this thread who presses as a business. Not sure how this is any different.

28 minutes ago, BrntWS6 said:

Not worried about criticism, I'm happy to answer questions since my results clearly work.  I've seen multiple threads discussing cbcs and have seen at least one person in this thread who presses as a business. Not sure how this is any different.

:frown: