• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat press machine

85 posts in this topic

Just got these back, I was a bit nervous being the first books I submitted.  Didn't really know what to expect.   All of these were DIY pressed on my $120.00 T-shirt press.

20180504_100640.jpg

20180504_100437.jpg

The best advice anyone can give about pressing is to stop looking for a press, stop pressing your own books, and send to the tiny handful of pressers that know what they're doing. I can only recommend Susan Cicconi (and she won't do pressing by itself anymore) and CCS.

Proper pressing has little to do with owning a press and learning "techniques." Proper pressing requires a temperament, a mindset, that most people simply do not have. It's why 98% of the people who sub for the first time...if they're being honest...say "man, I totally thought that was going to be a 9.8, but it can back 8.5."

There's a reason for that, and that reason is that those people...as with most people...simply do not look at a comic book the way someone who would be good at pressing does. They completely gloss over some pretty serious flaws, because they don't see those flaws in the first place.

Would anyone here recommend that they buy an auto-lift and start doing home repairs on their vehicles? 

Of course not. Can SOME people do that, and have success? Sure. But most people are going to make things worse, which is why you pay a professional to do it.

Some of that is true.  You have to be OCD when your looking a book over.  But i would hardly compare something like rebuilding the top end of an engine to pressing a comic book.  Pressing a comic is very easy and the learning curve is quick.  I dont care what anyone says, its easy! But you have to look at the book with no blinders on. 

rebuilding an engine takes mechanical ability.  And I dont mean school necessarily, i mean you have to be mechanically inclined.  

2 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

I dont care what anyone says, its easy!

Perhaps it is for you but there have been many examples posted here over the years that prove it's not as easy as you would say. Maybe instead of claiming you don't care what anyone says, you open your mind a little

On 3/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

$_57.JPG

This process works well for me.  I find if you start the process in a sauna with a beer poured over the rocks to help humidify and smellify the books it works best.

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The best advice anyone can give about pressing is to stop looking for a press, stop pressing your own books, and send to the tiny handful of pressers that know what they're doing. I can only recommend Susan Cicconi...

Oh, Pa-shaw! Sue's good. But as a very wise man once stated on this very forum, "Joey, Joey, he's our man; if Joey Post can't press it, nobody can", Joey Post; Presser to the stars! (thumbsu

5 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

Some of that is true.  You have to be OCD when your looking a book over.  But i would hardly compare something like rebuilding the top end of an engine to pressing a comic book.  Pressing a comic is very easy and the learning curve is quick.  I dont care what anyone says, its easy! But you have to look at the book with no blinders on. 

rebuilding an engine takes mechanical ability.  And I dont mean school necessarily, i mean you have to be mechanically inclined.  

All of it is true, and you don't qualify. Do you know how I know that? Notice the errors in your post: "when your looking a book over." The word is spelled "you're"

"But i would hardly"..."I" is always capitalized.

"I dont care what anyone says", "I dont mean"...the word is spelled "don't"

"its easy!"...the word is "it's"

"rebuilding an engine takes"...words that start sentences are always capitalized.

"i mean you"...again, "I" is always capitalized. 

And all those errors are in a mere 8 sentences.

And while it's true that many people get incredibly offended if you correct their spelling, grammar, and punctuation, complaining that it's "no big deal, you grammar nazi!!", the truth is, those are small measures of how conscientious and detail-oriented a person is. It's true, many people don't care...and those are the people I don't want within 500 feet of my comics. Proper writing is far, far easier than proper pressing, so what does that say about the person who doesn't take enough pride in themselves and how they convey ideas to others to write properly...?

Nothing personal; I don't know you from Adam. But from your post above, it's clear that you don't have the temperament to be a good presser. As others have said, it's a piece of cake to buy a press, stick a comic in it, and hit the "on" button and imagine one is a presser. It's also a piece of cake to buy an easel, canvas, and some paint to splash on it. That doesn't make one Monet. 

I WOULD compare pressing a comic book to rebuilding the top end of an engine. Both take skill sets that the average person doesn't possess. Just like anyone can buy that press and switch it to on, so can anyone take a wrench set and disassemble the top end of an engine.

Putting it back together properly...just like properly pressing a book...is an entirely different venture.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
Pride of craftsmanship

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

All of it is true, and you don't qualify. Do you know how I know that? Notice the errors in your post: "when your looking a book over." The word is spelled "you're"

"But i would hardly"..."I" is always capitalized.

"I dont care what anyone says", "I dont mean"...the word is spelled "don't"

"its easy!"...the word is "it's"

"rebuilding an engine takes"...words that start sentences are always capitalized.

"i mean you"...again, "I" is always capitalized. 

And all those errors are in a mere 8 sentences.

And while it's true that many people get incredibly offended if you correct their spelling, grammar, and punctuation, complaining that it's "no big deal, you grammar nazi!!", the truth is, those are small measures of how conscientious and detail-oriented a person is. It's true, many people don't care...and those are the people I don't want within 500 feet of my comics. Proper writing is far, far easier than proper pressing, so what does that say about the person who doesn't take enough pride in themselves and how they convey ideas to others to write properly...?

Nothing personal; I don't know you from Adam. But from your post above, it's clear that you don't have the temperament to be a good presser. As others have said, it's a piece of cake to buy a press, stick a comic in it, and hit the "on" button and imagine one is a presser. It's also a piece of cake to buy an easel, canvas, and some paint to splash on it. That doesn't make one Monet. 

I WOULD compare pressing a comic book to rebuilding the top end of an engine. Both take skill sets that the average person doesn't possess. Just like anyone can buy that press and switch it to on, so can anyone take a wrench set and disassemble the top end of an engine.

Putting it back together properly...just like properly pressing a book...is an entirely different venture.

Well, i have rebuilt engines and pressed many books.  I can say from experience rebuilding an engine is very difficult.  Pressing a comic is far from it.   Have you tired either?  Wont even address the first part of your post because it is ridiculous.  All of the books i posted had flaws that were press out and the results are there.  I do this for myself so i don't want to be within 500' of your books or anyone else's. 

I bought a cheap press and did some research.  The information on how to do it correctly is easy to find.  If anyone has the desire to learn how to do it and some common sense they can without much trouble.

I have many PMs from people here who press their own books.

1 hour ago, BrntWS6 said:

Well, i have rebuilt engines and pressed many books.  I can say from experience rebuilding an engine is very difficult.  Pressing a comic is far from it.   Have you tired either?  Wont even address the first part of your post because it is ridiculous.  All of the books i posted had flaws that were press out and the results are there.  I do this for myself so i don't want to be within 500' of your books or anyone else's. 

I bought a cheap press and did some research.  The information on how to do it correctly is easy to find.  If anyone has the desire to learn how to do it and some common sense they can without much trouble.

I have many PMs from people here who press their own books.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, this is what most people say. You are (needlessly) offended by the fact that someone pointed out your lack of attention to detail in your writing. But the question remains: if someone won't or can't put the effort into getting the details correct in their writing, why should anyone be persuaded that they care about finer details?

Rebuilding an engine is not any more difficult than following the manual...right? After all, the information on how to do it correctly is easy to find...right? In any event, as has been said before, anyone can buy a press, stick a book in it, turn it on, and claim to be a "presser." And it's quite true, even the most amateur presser will get some results...but at what cost? Putting the book into a press is the last step in a proper press, not the first. And, while judging between individual pressers is a difficult task, seeing the results of poor press jobs is not. 

I've pressed somewhere between 6,000-8,000 books in the last 8+ years, many for clients, which I suppose makes me a professional presser. And I've had to fix the "work" of amateurs who made a mess of books. I worked on a book that had been overhydrated (the fancy term for "they used too much water") and then put the book in the press while it was still soaked. It created dozens of little vertical rivulets in the back cover. It was a complete and total mess:

5aedc9e59ee9c_asm134badpress.jpg.9e78b2ff3147db334b7f612f6d45f6c7.jpg

That the presser let this out of his (or her, but probably his) hands like this is embarrassing, all too common, and totally unnecessary.

Leave it to the professionals. 

13 minutes ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

If Mike DeChellis had taken this advice  is giving, he never would've opened Hero Restoration and he wouldn't have become one of the top guys in the industry. He knew nothing when he showed up. Don't let some sanctimonious priick ruin your dreams!

Yes, and if "Stu Cathell" had something productive to do with his life, he wouldn't be stalking people, creating shill after shill after shill after shill after shill, laughing at and giving the middle finger to the CGC board administration for well over a decade now. This man has CHILDREN, for God's sake.

Don't let some sanctimonious priick set you up for failure by blowing smoke up your arse, convincing you you can do something which most people aren't equipped to do. 

Yeah, "Stu Cathell"...you tell 'em! You can be an astronaut, or an NBA player, or a movie star, if you just try hard enough!

This is about as much sense as he makes:

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

Don't let some sanctimonious priick ruin your dreams!

You really have a way with words. I'm curious why you feel the need to laden your posts with so much profanity. Do you think you are impressing us ? Whoever you are, it's pretty obvious you are a shill.   

Edited by Bomber-Bob

7 minutes ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

That's right, I'm a proud poppa, something you'll never be. I'm  sure you're happy with your dogs and peanut butter, tho.

So classy you are, "Stu Cathell." Hanging out on a message board from which you were banned over a decade ago, implying people practice bestiality, because...why? You have a rich, fulfilling life...?

Nah, you're just an angry, exceptionally bitter middle aged man, who robs his children of time he should be spending with them, instead focusing your rage and hatred on various people in the comic book industry over years, of which I am merely the latest. Steve Borock, Steve Ricketts, et al. At least I'm in good company.

I'm sorry, who is the sanctimonious priick again...?

By the way....for every Mike DeChellis, or Matt Nelson, how many Hooks are there...? 

I imagine there's dozens, if not hundreds, by now. Lots and lots of amateurs, who don't know what they're doing.

The tiny handful with the temperament and personality to do it well will figure it out and make it work. They are the very definition of "the exception that makes the rule."

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You really have a way with words. I'm curious why you feel the need to laden your posts with so much profanity. Do you think you are impressing us ? Whoever you are, it's pretty obvious you are a shill.   

He ain’t wrong though 2c

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJoeDo? said:

One thing you used to be able to say is that "" isn't a liar. Sadly that can't be said anymore. Old Joe would never make up stuff like this, he'd never stoop low enough to use my kids to try and insult me; that guy had integrity. Old Joe! Old Joe!

And you can cross Ricketts off the list, we've always been friendly and he was very helpful on the CeeBeeCeeEss board. 

Well, as usual, whenever the message board admins get to it, your posts will be gone. It's laughable for you to whine about someone "stooping so low" about anything, when you imply that I have sexual relations with my dogs. And you have the nerve to whine about someone "making things up"? Hypocrisy, thy name is "Stu Cathell." 

And if you think Ricketts thinks you're "friendly"...you're quite mistaken. There's a reason you are banned from Voldermort's board, too. And they've set it up so you can't slither back on. Imagine that.

Put away your computer and go spend time with your children. As horrifying a mockery of a human being as you are, you're better than nothing. I hope.