• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Betty and Veronica #1

17 posts in this topic

I've decided I'd like to snag a copy of Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #1 next time I see one up for sale, looking through the census I see there are none graded higher than 7.5. Is this a tough book in high grade, or any grade above VG even? Has anyone here seen a VF or NM copy before? Do issues that pop up in Fine or better tend to sell at guide or multiples?

I throw my Copper Age self to the floor awaiting the knowledge of you Golden Age experts. grin.gif

Also, while I'm in the GA forum, is there any website or possibly a book(s) that archives Golden Age covers? I'd love to expand into GA collecting, I can't afford the big superhero books from DC and Timely, but I like some Good Girl and Sci Fi books I've seen from that era. Only artist I can recall is Matt Baker, I really like his stuff from the little I've seen, especially the Phantom Lady series.

As far as the books that archives GA covers, you need to get the Gerber Photo-Journal as it does just what you asked for

PHOTO.jpg

PHOTO_2.jpg

There are two volumes. You can find them easily. Bud Plant always has copies for sale here.

There are two volumes. You can find them easily. Bud Plant always has copies for sale here.

893naughty-thumb.gif I have an unopened copy of volume 2 that I'd be willing to sell for much less than Bud Plant is asking. If anyone is interested, please post or PM me. acclaim.gif

As far as B&V #1 goes, any Archie series #1's are fairly tough. And probably VERY tough, in grade. Several Archie experts on the board, you might ask Shield for example, what he thinks.

Well thank you for calling me an Archie expert! cool.gif

Let's get started - here's a page I put together of some of the Ebay completed items since 2001.

Linky-poo

I have owned a blue label VG/FN copy of B&V #1, which sold in 2003 for around $533 on EBAY. I have also owned two really nice Pals 'n' Gals #1's, and sold them for slightly less than the B&V. All of these books are available; you won't have trouble with these or Jughead/Reggie #1's. Archie #1 is much harder to find, and you'll pay quite a few multiples more.

All the GA Archie Series #1s are tough to find in HG. To answer your question regarding B&V #1, I have owned (but no longer do frown.gif) a VF/NM copy of that book. Unhappily for my current collecting interests, I traded it it many years ago for a Flash 100 (which I also no longer have frown.giffrown.gif).

All the GA Archie Series #1s are tough to find in HG. To answer your question regarding B&V #1, I have owned (but no longer do frown.gif) a VF/NM copy of that book. Unhappily for my current collecting interests, I traded it it many years ago for a Flash 100 (which I also no longer have frown.giffrown.gif).

Now THAT would be extremely hard to find; a VF/NM copy of any of those books.

As far as B&V #1 goes, any Archie series #1's are fairly tough. And probably VERY tough, in grade. Several Archie experts on the board, you might ask Shield for example, what he thinks.

Well thank you for calling me an Archie expert! cool.gif

Let's get started - here's a page I put together of some of the Ebay completed items since 2001.

Linky-poo

I have owned a blue label VG/FN copy of B&V #1, which sold in 2003 for around $533 on EBAY. I have also owned two really nice Pals 'n' Gals #1's, and sold them for slightly less than the B&V. All of these books are available; you won't have trouble with these or Jughead/Reggie #1's. Archie #1 is much harder to find, and you'll pay quite a few multiples more.

I think there was also a 6.0 copy of BV#1 on ebay too. Few years back. Cant remember what it sold for..

I've seen and owned several copies. The covers of Archie 32 page comics from about 1949 to1951 don't seem to hold up well. The color inks on the covers seems to go drab easily and the cover gloss doesn't hold up well. Don't know what was different at that time as far as paper and ink quality, but it may explain the lack of high grade copies

Now THAT would be extremely hard to find; a VF/NM copy of any of those books.

Shield;

Now that's an understatement!!!

I picked up a HG Archie's Pals 'N' Gals #1 a few years ago and haven't seen any other HG Archies around since then. I may have seen the odd 8.5 or 9.0 show up every now and then, but usually only at "higher than I am willing to pay" prices.

I thought I had overpaid for my Archie since it was either at double or almost double guide. Only willing to pay this amount for it since I thought it was undervalued compared to the other Archie #1's. Especially considering the classic love triangle cover featuring all five main characters with the deep blue and red cover colours wrapped around a 120 page squarebound book. Also helped that it was graded out at 9.2 and the highest graded copy at the time and hopefully still.

The underbidder for this book was Geppi, so hopefully that means I should be able to find a ready buyer without losing any money on it, especially since the guide is starting to approach the price I actually paid for the book.

...as the guy who designed your Goldcomics logo, I just figured you for an Archie expert. And MLJ in general, for that matter. wink.gif

- hope you are well!

Hey, how have you been? You did a fantastic job on the logo - way better than anything I'd have ever come up with! Do you do graphics work professionally by the way? flowerred.gif

That's what I do durin' the day Shield - but rarely do I enjoy it as much as when I got to make your logo. smile.gif

If I got to work on more such things, my days would REALLY fly by!

Well, I may just have an opportunity for you. I'm getting ready to launch a new section to my site, which includes everything from the golden age that isn't part of Timely or DC because of copyright laws. Unfortunately, this excludes Captain Marvel as well, but does include some great stuff.

The following titles will be reprinted (not an all-inclusive list):

Publisher:

Nedor/Better Publishing

America's Best Comics

America's Biggest Comics Book

Best Comics (1939 series)

Black Terror

Exciting Comics

Fighting Yank

Mystery Comics (1944 series) 4 issues Issuematrix Cover gallery

Startling Comics

Thrilling Comics

Wonder Comics

Centaur Comics

Amazing Adventure Funnies

Amazing Man Comics

Amazing Mystery Funnies

The Arrow

Keen Detective Funnies

Liberty Scouts Comics

Man of War Comics

Masked Marvel

Super Spy

Wham Comics

Fiction House Comics

Fight Comics

Jungle Comics

Planet Comics

Rangers Comics

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle

Wings Comics

Fawcett

Bulletman Comics

Captain Midnight

Master Comics

Nickel Comics

Spy Smasher

Wow Comics

Fox Features Syndicate (Fox)

Blue Beetle

Green Mask

The Eagle

Fantastic Comics

Flame

Mystery Men Comics

Samson Comics

Science Comics

U.S. Jones Comics

V... (For Defence of Democracy) Comics

Weird Comics

Wonder/Wonderworld Comics

Novelty Press

Blue Bolt Comics

Four-Most Comics

Target Comics

Prize

Headline Comics

Prize Comics

Quality Comics

Crack Comics

Doll Man Comics

Feature Comics

Hit Comics

National Comics

Police Comics

So, if you wanted to do another logo with key characters from those titles, I'd love to use it for the new section. Same size as the last would be great. For your trouble, I'd gladly email you my goldcomics DVD, which has 213 books on it.

Please let me know !

Shawn