• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,227 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice that's enough to keep you out of trouble for a bit. My goal in life is not to end up with a hoard like this. I plan on downsizing my comics to just the "good stuff" when I retire and move out the piles of common stuff that have sat in boxes for decades never read since I bought them off the stands. Seems a bit pointless to just have them sitting there never looked at again.

Yep, me too. Been “house cleaning” for a while now. Small local shows, flea markets ect have lightened the load a lot. Problem is getting to be getting rid of the “good stuff”. Maybe not so good to many, but I rarely buy stuff I don’t like…:roflmao:

In my mind, I think I have a lot of stuff until I go over to a place like this. Still, more than I need. 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:24 PM, Robot Man said:

Yep, me too. Been “house cleaning” for a while now. Small local shows, flea markets ect have lightened the load a lot. Problem is getting to be getting rid of the “good stuff”. Maybe not so good to many, but I rarely buy stuff I don’t like…:roflmao:

In my mind, I think I have a lot of stuff until I go over to a place like this. Still, more than I need. 

We have no hallways here, but rather, footpaths. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

How do you enjoy your stuff? At a certain point it owns you.

I guess I am too anal. I have learned to welcome organization and order. I pretty much know exactly where everything is. I have gotton to the point where if I buy something, something has got to go.

Paper fits in neatly labeled boxes and is put away. My toys and other stuff are displayed for the most part. I can’t enjoy them if I can’t see them.

And in order to stay happily married, I have to respect the “boundaries”.

On 9/18/2024 at 7:41 AM, Robot Man said:

How do you enjoy your stuff? At a certain point it owns you.

I guess I am too anal. I have learned to welcome organization and order. I pretty much know exactly where everything is. I have gotton to the point where if I buy something, something has got to go.

Paper fits in neatly labeled boxes and is put away. My toys and other stuff are displayed for the most part. I can’t enjoy them if I can’t see them.

And in order to stay happily married, I have to respect the “boundaries”.

I have one comic closet stuffed to the rafters but pretty well organized with 95% of items boxed. It was purpose built to handle the heavy boxes of paper. I have another location with a beautiful bookcase for my non comic paper. It is pretty full and the top has started to overflow and there are boxes on the side. I need to clean that up but things get in the way. Luckily I can always find what I go looking for though there is the occasional surprise. Still I think I could clean out 50% of my comic closet and not really miss the comics I sell; that would allow for a more comfortable space for my other material that needs sorting. Picking up items for the last fifty years from various booksellers, sales and shows I've ended up with quite the potpourri of printed material. 

We've been purging the junk that's accumulated in the garage, and I recently tore down an old shed out back. Tearing down that shed was great as it allowed me to dispose of piles of junk that were rotting unused and I'd forgotten I even had. It's astounding how much junk we accumulate in our lives and how it can weigh you down. Purging feels good!!