• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor Collecting Thread!
3 3

118 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2017 at 9:39 AM, Black_Adam said:

Just completing this run (in any condition) is an accomplishment of Asgardian proportion, and there's nothing unfortunate about owning a GRR JIM 83 that looks as nice as this one! (thumbsu

Picked up the GRR in a local comic shop at least 25 years ago for $30.00.

Shop was within walking distance so I used to stop in every month.

The shop closed 15 (???) or more years ago, do not know if it was due to retirement or passing, one day it was just closed.

The JIM 84 was also purchased in a local comic shop that was in a nearby mall about 20 years ago for $20.00.

That store is also no longer there.

All though I was able to complete most of my runs through eBay, My Comic Shop, etc. it is not the same as walking into your LCS or small weekend hotel/national guard armory con and finding those treasures, I really miss those days. :frown:

Edited by marvelmaniac

Great thread!  Great books!
I figure JIM/Thor was among the most popular Marvel titles back in the day, evidenced by the fact that JIM was granted one of the first superhero annuals along with FF and Spidey.

48 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I have twice attempted to reduce my JIM/Thor collection, but it isn't happening. I can't make myself give up any Kirby, or Adams, or that beautiful Buscema, or Simonson, or those Frenz retro books...

I go from 83 to 4 hundred and something. 

I think a logical break is when the title changes from JIM to Mighty Thor?

Edited by piper

26 minutes ago, piper said:

I think a logical break is when the title changes from JIM to Mighty Thor?

That makes sense, but I think the later Kirby issues are better reads. IMO, the run doesn't get great until Stan worked villains like King Cobra out of his system.

That's an impressive run, KJ.  By the mid-seventies, the title was running out of steam for me, and it became a chore to read.  So in '76 I quit buying them.  When Simonson came on board, the title was completely refreshed and the artwork outstanding, and I was hooked again.

Your comment about some weak stories in the early issues rings true.  The JIMs without Kirby pencils were especially brutal.  That said, I find the early issues interesting for the way the character and supporting cast were slowly developed - there was a lot of Donald Blake early on and most of his time was spent on Earth, but his appearances progressively waned and the stories became more cosmic.  The Jane Foster ill-fated love angle seemed pitched to the young female comic readers of the day.  Once JIM97 introduced the Tales of Asgard backup story, at least there was always something interesting to read, even when the lead story may have been weak.

Here's the first ish with the Tales of Asgard feature.  I think it's underappreciated, and on top of that it's got another great Kirby cover.  It's even a 'Super Special Issue'.  :grin:

JIM97-1.JPG

Edited by namisgr