• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden State Comicon in Oakland Report

88 posts in this topic

Hi,

I ran to Oakland today to check out the convention. I didn't have high hopes so I took my 2 1/2 year old son as I thought he would enjoy roaming around. The covention was pretty small, but they had a reasonable number of dealers. Harley was there as well so it wasn't just local people. After walking around for about 20 minutes, I was wishing I had brought my wife so she could keep the kid busy while I dug through the boxes. I didn't pick up a single book, but I am sure if I had been able to dig through the boxes I would have walked out with some decent stuff. There was a pretty big range of stuff there, even some golden-age. My son got a kick out of watching the trailer for Grayson (low budget Batman movie). There was actually so decent original artwork. One of the promoters told me they plan to be twice the size next year. It wasn't too crowded while I was there which was really nice. One downside is still the Oakland thing. The area around the convention center looks like a war zone. I definitely didn't feel too safe when my son and I walked down the street to get something to eat.

I skipped Saturday and went Sunday. Really glad I did. I was amazed by the high percentage of dealers with GA through BA books. Reminded me of the old Boston shows Dave Cummings (Primate Prod) put on when I was back in boston in the 90's.

The show was fairly small but, for the square feet, a lot was there. Getting there was cake. Two stops on Bart form San Francisco (Embarcadero) and then leave the Bart station, walk across the street and your there. Also not very crowded (I would have said promotion for this show needs a majot overhaul, but it seems to not been halued in the first place!) Reports are many dealers were buying more than selling.

I did a Wonderon recreation and got my books from three primary sources: House Of Comics (Hey Marc and Beth!), A1 and (I always get this mixed up - either Hero or Heroic? A lot of short boxes with some nice HG bronze?)

Harley and Redbeard were there. Red took only $100+ books and I looked at all of them for pre-code horror. Also went through some of Harely's books and some other pre-code horror. But I tell you, I think I am on strike for pre-code horror. The prices are just WAY too stupid for the grade and the book. After seeing this stuff I was instantly put off for buying ANY pre-code at shows and stuck to BA. Glad I did.

While getting a few standard BA DC horror (Phantom Stranger, House Of etc) I really got into both the DC "Hero Horror" and also some straight DC hero BA in the Dollar Comics format. I am growing to really love the Dollar comics and have decided to seek full runs of them. Potsed some of the Hero Horror in Infinite BA Horror thread.

Met up with Scott, Jim, Jason and Shin and chatted every so often. Scott and Jim got some really cool stuff and hope they reveal same! (don't want to spoil it). Saw Ron Murray and was hoping he has a few more of those drop-dead DC BA Hero Horror but alas, no luck.

Ended up with 45 books. Cost me the same as 5 or 6 nice pre-codes. Am happy. Love the timing of this show. Wondercon in Feb, GS ComicCon in May and San Diego in July. All I need is a Fall show. (any thoughts?).

Here goes my loooooooooooong convention report on the Golden State Comic-Con.

Although I think all of the dealers in the room would call the show a disappointment, I actually had the best buying and selling show I've ever had apart from Chicago last year for buying.

I went to the setup on Friday night to help Shin, Jim, and Jason set up the wombats for the next day. Jason was staying at my place for the weekend, so we rode over there together at around 6:30. When Jason and I arrived, most of the dealers were just getting started, although there was a local guy who set up his stuff early and it paid off for him. This guy had purchased an amazing, high-grade SA Marvel and DC collection that was advertised in the local newspaper. Something like 1,000 books for $1,000, with lots of keys and non keys. The books had superb gloss and in most cases, above average to outstanding page quality. The collection ranged from 1960 to early bronze and the books were in outstanding shape. His pricing was downright reasonable -- straight guide for 9.2 and below, and for 9.4/9.6 it was guide plus 20-40%. Harley Yee saw the collection first and bought a huge chunk of books for $10,000 before we got there. I ran into Vincent Z. at the guy's booth and chatted with him for a while. He had three copies of FF#1 with him in the 6.0 to 7.0-ish range and he pulled them out to show them to us. We also talked about Vinny's ComicZone radio show and gave some feedback and talked about how much the listener base has grown over the past year (growth of something like 4,000 listeners to 7,000 listeners in the past few months). Mark, the guy whose booth we were at, also showed us the nastiest restored copy of AF#15 that I think I've ever seen. It was a Matt Wilson job. The book was heavily inpainted (including gobs of acrylic slathered over areas that didn't need it) and had been heavily reglossed to the point where the final pressing job couldn't get the book to flatten properly. The end result was a book that looked like a VF at arm's length, except that it looked like someone had dunked the VF book in a swimming pool and left it out to dry. Nasty. It had been cracked out of a CGC slab, where it sported a grade of apparent VG- 3.5.

We also talked to Harley and Marc Neuman from Houseofcomics.com for a bit, as we were setting up right behind them. It is always nice to talk to Harley, as he has a great inventory and is very friendly and professional. I want to give a special plug to Marc Neuman as well, because he is one of the nicest dealers you'll ever meet. He also has some great stuff in his inventory (silver and bronze age Marvel and DC, with a smattering of golden age books). He and his girlfriend Beth are computer techies, so their website is really easy to use too. I definitely recommend checking out their site as they have tons of great books at downright reasonable prices.

Also on the floor, I ran into Chris (CW on the boards) and chatted with him for a while about the grading contest and whatnot. We talked a bit about a deal he was trying to close on one of his grails, and then it was time for me to go back and help some more with setup.

After doing the initial setup, I went to dinner with Jim M., Jason, Shin, Lisa (Shin's wife), and Jeff Li who was leaving for France the next day but drove over to hang out with us. We went to a neighborhood Thai restaurant and had a nice dinner. As much as I like buying comics, my favorite part of any convention is definitely hanging out with my friends and other people in the industry, "talking shop" and getting to know each other better. It makes the hobby a lot more fun that way. It was great to sit down to dinner with my board buddies and chat about our expectations for the show.

Jason, Jeff, Jim, and I went back to my place to divvy up a collection that we had recently purchased. Liz helped us put backboards into comic bags, and then it was getting late so we went to bed. Jim went home soon thereafter, but Jason and Jeff couldn't wait to divvy up the lots and stayed up early into the next morning breaking out the books.

Jason and I got up the next morning and I made some breakfast -- PB&J sandwiches -- a "Treasure Island B&B" (what Jason calls my house when he stays there) specialty. We got our books together and headed over to the Con. Shin very generously allowed us a lot of space on the wombat (he let me fill up the entire top row on both wombats with my books) and on the tables to set up our books for sale, and after putting out our books, we were ready to go.

Purely on a numbers basis, foot traffic at the Con was very disappointing to say the least. Word on the floor is that the promoter did not do what he had promised to advertise the Con properly and so no one knew about it. It was a real shame too, because there were a TON of nice books to be had. Harley brought a bunch of new raw Northland pedigree books for sale, and I picked up a few Spideys from the collection. Jim and I both made some nice trades with Harley, who is always ready and willing to wheel and deal. yay.gif

Jason went over to Cary Nord's table and ordered a full page sketch from him. Cary Nord (Conan penciller) and Tom Yeates (Conan inker) were seated next to each other and there was literally no one in line waiting to talk to them. I could not believe it. I chatted with Cary for a minute and told him that I thought he was doing great work on the Conan series. He seemed to really like working on the title and said that he is currently committed through issue #25, which he is working on presently. He also mentioned that he was in talks to extend his contract for another year on the title. Personally, I hope he stays on the title as long as he can, as he is the perfect artist for it.

I did some looking at other dealers' tables. Ron Pussell (Redbeard) had a small setup there, but brought some great books including several raw Edgar Church copies of the more obscure titles. It is always cool to look at a raw Church book. I also ran into Ronnie Murry, one of my favorite dealers. He had brought a couple of boxes and was sharing table space with Sal, a local San Francisco dealer. I picked up a nice FF#34 and a nice Batman #227 for very reasonable prices. We also chatted a bit about a friend of his who has a copy of a very hard to find book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half. His friend showed up with the book and I got to hold it in my hands. cloud9.gif

Because foot traffic was so poor, sales were very slow for the first few hours. Then, along came the one buyer who made my whole show. This guy walked up and asked to see my FF#22 CGC 9.4 and my FF#3 CGC 7.5 Winnipeg. We talked about the books for a while and tried to reach an agreement on price. We got to within $50 of one another and both refused to budge. He walked away from the table at that point, but I could tell he'd make one more stop before leaving. He did eventually come back about 45 minutes later and we managed to come to a package deal price on my FF#22 and a nice FF#49 CGC 9.0. yay.gif As he was leaving, he mentioned that he wanted to come back the next day to talk about the FF#3.

Feeling flush with cash yay.gif, I decided that it was only right for me to spring for lunch. I called Vinny Z. to see if he wanted to join us, and Vinny, Jim, Jason and I went over to Le Cheval for some great Vietnamese fare. We had a nice, long lunch, made even longer by Vinny's many "Jerky Boys" impressions. poke2.gif

A little later in the day, Jamie Graham from Graham Cracker comics stopped by and bought some books from Shin, Jim and me. He seemed to be having a really bad show and wanted to do some buying so it wouldn't be a total loss. I heard through the grapevine that he only made something like a little over $100 in sales on Saturday, so he left Saturday night and didn't come back on Sunday.

After that, another local collector stopped by and showed me some sweet FFs that he had purchased from another dealer. FF#6 CGC 9.0 and FF#7 CGC 9.2. Both were absolutely smoking copies and when he told me what he paid for them, I was amazed (very aggressive prices). Suffice it to say that there are people out there who realize how tough early FFs are to find in high grade and they are willing to pay for nice copies.

I got a call from Michael (Povertyrow) around mid-afternoon, who was calling to ask if it was worth his time to come to the show. I basically told him that there were a lot of books in the room and not a lot of buyers, so I thought he'd be able to take advantage of the fact that most of the dealers would be willing to provide nice discounts to pump up their sales and make back their table costs.

The rest of the day was pretty slow, with a couple of smaller sales made here and there. By 6:00, we were all ready to head out. Jim, Jason and I went over to the Pacific Coast pub and grill to meet up with Ronnie Murry and his friend Jeff for dinner. Liz joined us, and we had a few beers and then went across the street to a local seafood restaurant. Ronnie, being a fan of the grape, had brought some wine packed in a cooler in his car -- a very nice carignane from Ridge that I hadn't tried before. The six of us had a great time talking about both comic stuff and non-comic stuff. After dinner, everyone went home to rest up for the following day.

On Sunday morning, after another round of breakfast at the Treasure Island B&B, Jason and I headed over to the con. Foot traffic on Sunday was even slower than on Saturday, but fortunately, my big buyer from Saturday showed up again to look at some more books. After more haggling, we reached a very nice (for me) deal on my FF#3 and on a Strange Tales #138 CGC 9.4 and my Sgt. Fury #25 CGC 9.4 Golden State copy. This guy singlehandedly made my day on both days of the convention. I was reminded of the saying "All politics are local politics," which basically means that there is no substitute for dealing with other people in person. Selling comics in person is more fun and a lot easier to do than selling them over the internet.

I sold a few more raw and CGC graded books that day, and also had the opportunity to run around and buy some nice books. I picked up some SA Marvel Tales books in 9.4/9.6 condition from Mark (the local guy who found that great collection) at a discount to guide. 893whatthe.gifhail.gif He also sold me a sweet copy of Tales to Astonish #92 for straight guide. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Michael (Povertyrow) stopped by at one point and said "Wow, this is like a repeat of WonderCon for me! Lots of great BA horror and hero-horror books! I may never buy pre-code again!" He then whipped out a big stack of BA books that he had bought and showed them to us. We had some fun giving different "cover genre" names to the books he had bought ("Hey Michael, look -- it's a 'Demon crashing through a broken window while the villain swings a knife' cover!") 27_laughing.gif Michael is definitely enjoying the transition that he has made from pre-code to BA horror.

At one point during the day when I was at the booth, Jim came back with a huge grin on his face, holding a super copy of Strange Tales #135 Mile High II copy. He had been over at Marc Neuman's booth (houseofcomics.com) and found it in the boxes. Marc sold it to him for a very nice price and Jim was a proud papa. Jason took one look at the book, put on his track shoes, and sprinted over to Marc's booth. He came back a few minutes later showing off an equally nice Mile High II copy of Dr. Strange #173 -- brilliant gloss, tight structure, and damn him for getting a nice price on it too. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifwink.gif Realizing that I need to get over there, I went to Marc's booth and found some stuff to buy (a sweet copy of Thor #138 for a great discount off of guide price).

Later, when I was at Redbeard's booth doing a deal with John Knight (who was buying up the low grade books from the collection that Jason, Jim, Jeff, David, and I had recently purchased) Ray Storch came by with a great Ernie Chan SSOC page done in half-tone. Ray said that Ernie was selling pages for very nice prices and the pages looked great, so I stopped by Ernie's table and bought two beautiful SSOC pieces, including one double-page spread with a Conan splash on the left page. I will put up some scans later on when I am home and have some time.

While I was chatting with Ronnie Murry, I got a call from Jim M. who wanted me to come over and look at an FF#1 that Phil at ComicCollectorshop.com was selling and that Jim wanted to buy. Being the real pal I am, I told Phil that he had undergraded the book, but nevertheless, at $650, the price was too high and I would not pay a dollar more than $649 for it. Phil said "Sold." With a [#@$%!!!]-eating grin on my face, I said to Jim, "Are you glad you called me over here or what?" grin.gif Jim said, "Thanks, you can leave now" and worked out a nice trade-and-cash deal with Phil for the book. 27_laughing.gif

Chris (CW) stopped by that afternoon to show me his Cary Nord piece. I had seen Cary working on it earlier that day, and it was just awesome. I don't want to steal Chris' thunder, so I'll let him post a scan of it if he wants to show it off.

After I picked up Jason's Cary Nord/Tom Yeates commission (Jason had to leave early to catch a plane), the Con was just about over. Everyone broke down their booths and Harley chatted with several of the other dealers and the promoter about how to improve the show for next year (collect money after WonderCon and do more advertising). All in all, it was a great show from a buyer's perspective because there was a lot of quality material in the room. It was also great from a buyer's perspective because of the unique opportunity presented by the promoter's lack of advertising -- few buyers, lots of great material, many dealers hungry to sell books.

Jim and I went back to my place and grilled some steaks. Thus ended a great con weekend. cloud9.gif Looking forward to seeing everyone in San Diego! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great report, Scott! That Strange Tales # 135 was absolutely killer. It was by far the best copy I have ever seen in person. I could tell that Jason was kicking himself for having previously missed it in Marc's bins, so being the wonderful human being that I am, I offered it to him for what I had just paid. He graciously accepted, and gave me a real nice copy of Cap # 105 as a token of his appreciation. Thanks, Jbud! thumbsup2.gif I'll find a reasonably priced copy of ST 135 for myself someday...

My positive comic karma paid off when I saw the FF # 1 at Phil's booth. I should try being a good person more often! angel.gif

that's been the best thing i've read all day here on this forum. thumbsup2.gif i couldn't come due to an obligation to attend a house warming party in pacific heights. confused-smiley-013.gif but it seems like we all had a very fun sunday! 893applaud-thumb.gif this show was promoted poorly, i only knew about when jbud73 told me about it when he came to the city a few weeks ago. foreheadslap.gif

I was extremely pleased with the sales at the show. CGC slabs were flying off of my racks despite the low head count. I was glad to see FFB, jbud, and many other new and old faces walking around all weekend. As FFB said in his excellent summary of the show I did snag Cary Nord early saturday morning and commissioned a piece.

Let me start by saying that Cary is one of the nicest guys in the industry as well as being one of my all time favorite artists, so it was nothing short of a dream come true when he accepted my blank art page and said he would see what he could do over the next 2 days. When business got slow at my booth I couldn't help but running over and trying to sneak a peek at what he was working on but all I could see was a distant, rough pencilled sketch. This is what I had expected he would have time for. When the end of the show was drawing close on sunday I walked over to get what I expected to be the sketch I had seen him working on. It was a very cool rough Conan piece in pencil. I said " How's it coming along." reaching somewhere under the sketch I had seen him slowly working on, he said" Here's your piece. I started this sketch but I decide to do something different".

He handed me both the sketch and what I can only say, made my year. Thanks Cary!!!, you made a fan really happy. th_DSCN1297.jpg

Great report, Scott! thumbsup2.gif

This guy had purchased an amazing, high-grade SA Marvel and DC collection that was advertised in the local newspaper. Something like 1,000 books for $1,000, with lots of keys and non keys. The books had superb gloss and in most cases, above average to outstanding page quality. The collection ranged from 1960 to early bronze and the books were in outstanding shape. His pricing was downright reasonable -- straight guide for 9.2 and below, and for 9.4/9.6 it was guide plus 20-40%. Harley Yee saw the collection first and bought a huge chunk of books for $10,000 before we got there.

What was in there, particularly 1960-ish DC stuff? Do I need to call Harley right now?

I also ran into Ronnie Murry, one of my favorite dealers. He had brought a couple of boxes and was sharing table space with Sal, a local San Francisco dealer.

Did Ronnie have anything interesting, DC-wise?

After more haggling, we reached a very nice (for me) deal on my ... Sgt. Fury #25 CGC 9.4 Golden State copy.

YOU'RE WELCOME!!! frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Great report, Scott! thumbsup2.gif

This guy had purchased an amazing, high-grade SA Marvel and DC collection that was advertised in the local newspaper. Something like 1,000 books for $1,000, with lots of keys and non keys. The books had superb gloss and in most cases, above average to outstanding page quality. The collection ranged from 1960 to early bronze and the books were in outstanding shape. His pricing was downright reasonable -- straight guide for 9.2 and below, and for 9.4/9.6 it was guide plus 20-40%. Harley Yee saw the collection first and bought a huge chunk of books for $10,000 before we got there.

What was in there, particularly 1960-ish DC stuff? Do I need to call Harley right now?

I know there was a JLA #1, but I don't know how high grade the earliest books were because Harley took the cream of the collection before I even got there. The stuff I bought that Harley skipped were some superb copies of Marvel Tales and a TTA 92 that were newsstand fresh with blinding gloss and bone white pages. Having said that, they were more 9.0 to 9.4 books structurally (one might be a 9.6 though) and probably most of the earliest books wouldn't have been in the 9.6 to 11.5 range that you like to purchase. poke2.gif

I also ran into Ronnie Murry, one of my favorite dealers. He had brought a couple of boxes and was sharing table space with Sal, a local San Francisco dealer.

Did Ronnie have anything interesting, DC-wise?

I believe he has some early silver DCs (Monterey copies) but he's not selling them yet because he thinks the market isn't ripe for them at this point. He had a few of the later 60s DCs from the collection with him at the show but was reluctant to sell them. He had a very light setup with him.

After more haggling, we reached a very nice (for me) deal on my ... Sgt. Fury #25 CGC 9.4 Golden State copy.

I told you Sgt. Furys were coming around. confused-smiley-013.gif Just because the cheapasses in the Marketplace forum didn't want to pay my price doesn't mean no one else would. yay.gif

I told you Sgt. Furys were coming around. confused-smiley-013.gif Just because the cheapasses in the Marketplace forum didn't want to pay my price doesn't mean no one else would. yay.gif

But I gave you a "best offer" on ebay of $99.99! I still can't believe you turned it down! 27_laughing.gif Next time I'll make it $0.99!

After that, another local collector stopped by and showed me some sweet FFs that he had purchased from another dealer. FF#6 CGC 9.0 and FF#7 CGC 9.2. Both were absolutely smoking copies and when he told me what he paid for them, I was amazed (very aggressive prices). Suffice it to say that there are people out there who realize how tough early FFs are to find in high grade and they are willing to pay for nice copies.

Fab report, Scott. Looking back at the most recent Heritage Signature Auction, I didn't think the early FFs did that well, considering the FF 9 in CGC 9.4 only went for $4600 & FF 7 CGC 9.2 around $3750. What figures are we talking about with regards to the two copies you saw at the convention?

36_12_11.gif

It was a long weekend ...... Between attending the Oakland Con and flying to Vancouver and back the same weekend - I'm pretty burt out but wanted to add my 2 cents before it fades from memory. Scott's report goes into a lot of detail, so I'll spare everyone the blow by blow and just hit on some observations.

First, as always my sincere thanks to Scott, Liz and Payton (their dog) for putting me up at the Treasure Island B&B. The guest room doubles as Scott's Comic room so it kinda takes me back to being a kid by sleeping in a room filled wall to wall with comics. Dual Kudos out to Shin and Lisa for hosting the Bay area comic hooligans at their booth and not laughing too hard as 3 collectors who have never set up at a show by themselves try to negotiate putting together a Wombat. foreheadslap.gif Luckily we were between Comic Collector shop and Harley Yee to take notes.

FRIDAY: A bunch of us hit the show for set up night at about 6:30, it was bigger than expected and was glad to see a few of the larger out of state dealers (Graham Crackers and Harley) setting up. As Scott indicated Vincent from Metro was there and let us check out 3 nice copies of FF1 he had with him. thumbsup2.gif The real buzz was the local collector who had a new collection there of HG raw stuff - Harley and Vince got a lot of it. But as it was a smaller show I got the pluck a few books myself.

SATURDAY: As others have indicated generally low foot traffic - however I will touch on the highlights of the show. AWESOME books on the floor. The ratio of buyers being low, especially buyers of books over say $100 meant that you had your pick of some really nice stuff. Alot of the bigger transactions were dealer to dealer and this turned into a buyers show very quickly. I was there to sell books to finance Chicago buying, but with the selection on the show floor and dealers willing to negotiate and lack of competition, yet again I spent more than I sold. The deals and books were just too good to pass up (SCANS LATER TODAY I HOPE) Funny how you go into a show with a plan and it gets chucked to the wind.

There was a real fraturnity feel to this show, it being a smaller show with a lot of familiar faces in the room. Again the lower foot traffic meant that dealers and collectors had time to just hang out. Funny moments for me included.

- Vincent from Metro razzing Jim, Scott and Me about being 'DEALERS' cause we had books up on Shin's wall at the show.

- Harley Refereeing one of Scott's transactions and offering to flip a coin the settle it.

- Ron Murray taking candid photo's with a sneaky disposable camera.

- Just shooting the 893censored-thumb.gif with collectors and dealers a like around the Hub that extended from House of Comics, around the block to Comic Collectors Shop - with Harley and Shin's booth in between.

SUNDAY - I was only there for a few hours, before flying to Vancouver. Saw Pov (Michael) gave him to Horror book lowdown and turned him loose on the floor 27_laughing.gif

Bought some original art and caught my plane.

In closing the CGC forum seems to have an every growing fraturnity at comic book conventions ... This was even more apparent in Oakland, got a chance to meet again or for the first time.

CW - Chris is a great kid (he's 19 - man I feel old and I'm only 30 27_laughing.gif) who had super books and a great set up. That Spirit book blows away almost everything I saw all weekend.

Pov - always nice to see ya Michael, did you buy any of those Ghosts from the original owner collection that was the buzz of the show??

Garthgantu - Garth was there with his daughter and couldn't stay long, but its always nice to see Garth and share a few laughs.

Sckao - On Sunday Shin had one entire Wombat filled with Green Rivers (Red Hook would have passed out) that display was something to see. cloud9.gif

HouseofComics - I finally bought the Batman 300 Marc, you're still too nice of a guy to be a comic dealer.

Jimm94 - Jim sold me the best book I bought at the show, not in terms of $$ but in terms of its never coming out of my collection. A gorgeous Strange Tales 135 (MH2 not a pedigree makepoint.gif) but a killer book. Congrats on the FF #1 - you always seem to score a great book at every con - try to hang on to this one poke2.gif

FFB - After Oakland I have started calling Scott "little Harley, or Harley Jr." as he sold some of the most expensive books at the show. Then went on to pick up two killer peices of Original Art. hail.gif

metropolicent - Vincent is a great guy and spending a few hours at lunch with him, Jim and Scott was hilarious. As he reinterated at lunch being one of the largest comic dealers can be a double edged thing - Vinnie was and is a huge fan of the medium and still just loves to sit down and talk about comics books like any other fan. thumbsup2.gif

All in all it just occured to me after Oakland, like it does after every show recently, that we are lucky to have an outlet like the CGC forums to meet and talk about comics. Even moreso the commradiere that it generates at a Convention is amazing and thanks to Steve and the gang for being a catalyst for bringing so many people I now consider my good friends together. 893applaud-thumb.gif

- Jason (jbud73)

Fab report, Scott. Looking back at the most recent Heritage Signature Auction, I didn't think the early FFs did that well, considering the FF 9 in CGC 9.4 only went for $4600 & FF 7 CGC 9.2 around $3750. What figures are we talking about with regards to the two copies you saw at the convention?

IIRC, he paid a little over $7K for both the #6 and the #7.

I got $2,350 for my FF#22 CGC 9.4 and $2,000 for my FF#3 CGC 7.5 Winnipeg.

Sckao - On Sunday Shin had one entire Wombat filled with Green Rivers (Red Hook would have passed out) that display was something to see.

Shin won't sell me anymore. I've been cut off. sorry.gif

We also chatted a bit about a friend of his who has a copy of a very hard to find book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half. His friend showed up with the book and I got to hold it in my hands.
devil.gif

Great report Scott and yes I also got a chance to hold and see the aforementioned comic book in person that I had never seen before. 893whatthe.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

We also chatted a bit about a friend of his who has a copy of a very hard to find book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half. His friend showed up with the book and I got to hold it in my hands.
devil.gif

Great report Scott and yes I also got a chance to hold and see the aforementioned comic book in person that I had never seen before. 893whatthe.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

Go on, spill the beans, fer 'eaven's sake. What was the book? devil.gif

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

Go on, spill the beans, fer 'eaven's sake. What was the book? devil.gif

C'mon Andy, it's not that hard. poke2.gif I got it right on the first guess in my PM to Scott. I got the number wrong but the description right.