• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Population Census and Master Comics 23

3 posts in this topic

I'm interested to know what others think of the CGC Census in connection with the actual rarity of a book. For example, I own a copy (unslabbed) of Master Comics 23 in 6.0-6.5. I noticed in the census that only four copies of this book have been certified. I"ve seen the 9.4 copy; Metropolis had it at the time and it's the Mile-High copy. I also recall seeing a low grade copy once that I almost bought but it was pretty beat up so I passed on it. Then, about three years ago, I bought the copy I own now from Harley Yee when he did the LA Shrine show. Somebody had sold him the book earlier that day and when I saw it I snapped it up. Set me back a grand--as I recall. Anyway, just becaue only four copies have been slabbed does that mean the book is that rare or is it not worthwhile to have the book slabbed since it's not as big of a key as Master 21 and 22?. Fawcett and golden age collectors chime in!

It is hard to extrapolate data from the census but personally I believe four copies, with the lowest grade being a 6.5, tells me that the book is not scarce. Of course that is speculation on my part. The Capt. Marvel Jr. comics were printed in healthy numbers. As for me, I would probably still get the book slabbed.

Steve, Metropolis has a low grade VG copy on their website. Its too low of a grade for me! Don't slab your book since its only a 6.5 at best! Sell it to me and try to find a better copy! Erik