• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming movies (DC, Marvel, other films)
4 4

286 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, Artboy99 said:

#TheMarvels' "biggest difference from the other MCU movies to date is that it’s really wacky, and silly," says director Nia DaCosta!

I already knew, but thank you Nia DaCosta for confirming that I don't need to see The Marvels.

For comparison: I HATED Thor Love and Thunder, another movie that was "really wacky, and silly"

Wait, the last two Thors, Ant Man, and the over abundance of inappropriate humor already plague the MCU. The silly and humor is what many people have become most tired of in the current MCU.  So what is the response?  Let's ramp that stuff up even more!!!!

This movie is going to do Ant Man 3 numbers opening weekend then totally crash.  Again, as much as Disney wants the MCU's audience to be teenage girls and women in the 20's, the die hard loyal fans are still men from 18 to about 45. They seem intent on pushing those fans away. I also do not mean to be cruel, but I already know what will be said by the studio when this film underperforms. 

On 8/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, drotto said:

Wait, the last two Thors, Ant Man, and the over abundance of inappropriate humor already plague the MCU. The silly and humor is what many people have become most tired of in the current MCU.  So what is the response?  Let's ramp that stuff up even more!!!!

This movie is going to do Ant Man 3 numbers opening weekend then totally crash.  Again, as much as Disney wants the MCU's audience to be teenage girls and women in the 20's, the die hard loyal fans are still men from 18 to about 45. They seem intent on pushing those fans away. I also do not mean to be cruel, but I already know what will be said by the studio when this film underperforms. 

I don't think it will do Ant Man 3 numbers.  I know a bunch of hero nerds like myself and only one has any interest in seeing this.

On 8/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

I don't think it will do Ant Man 3 numbers.  I know a bunch of hero nerds like myself and only one has any interest in seeing this.

agreed, I question who the film is made for, as I don't know anyone who is interested in seeing it.

Anyone in this forum want to see it?

On 8/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, Artboy99 said:

agreed, I question who the film is made for, as I don't know anyone who is interested in seeing it.

Anyone in this forum want to see it?

Again, that is a big part of the MCU's problem.  They built this franchise mainly on men 18 to 45.  Now they did such a great job that these films were much more four quadrant then they expected.  The did expand their market initially, but just putting out fun, great films.  They became a cultural touchstone for this generation. I think that lead them to the false conclusion that they could continue expanding those new audiences while keeping the original fans. To try and get that hoped for new audience however,  they felt like they needed to make changes. Those changes alienated those original fans, and the new fans never materialized. 

The Marvels Director Says Villain Is Different From Comics

The Marvels has a villain from the comics, but director Nia DaCosta says things have changed quite a bit from the comics. Captain Marvel's big return to the MCU is fast-approaching and the filmmaker sat down with TotalFilm to talk about her approach to Dar-Benn. Now, the Kree revolutionary is considered a "deep-cut" by producer Mary Livanos in the same interview. Needless to say, there was some license to switch some things around. Zawe Ashton will be playing a female version of the Kree villain. While the interpretation might not directly lie with one of the former Dar-Benns in the comics, there's still the core Kree revolutionary bent for Brie Larson's hero to tangle with.

"I would just smoothly say not very, minus their viewpoint on the Kree and the Kree's positioning in the universe. We were inspired by the [comic-book] period of two emperors and there was some more of that story in the first versions of the -script," Nia DaCosta revealed. "But as we took over and moved into our own space and what this story was, more of that shed away. But in terms of energetically being a Kree imperialist, she's similar."

segundo-sol-novela.gif.e368e1bbfafb1c153f53e263d3c72e90.gif

On 8/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Are they that unsure of this film that 75% footage shown is not from the actual film, but previous projects? In addition almost all of the film footage from the movie has been seen before. Comes across as very odd marketing.  Yes, the CGI in that fight sequence still looks bad. 

On 9/1/2023 at 1:37 AM, paperheart said:

is it too late to try to shoehorn Marvel Barbie into this?

Who is Marvel Barbie? Yes, they are totally going for the Barbie crowd here, by emphasizing the girl power vibe thinking it will bring in the same crowd in droves.  Again, missing the point that Barbie is possibly the most powerful female based IP out there, that was developed and has always been a female brand. It's core fans are almost 100% female. It partially became a phenomenon because this demographic felt neglected.  The MCU is a male IP that at its core.  Now, I think the MCU has much broader appeal among women than Barbie does with men, but the basic DNA of the IP is different. Marvel has been trying to broaden this demographic for years, with limited success. So the mere existence of Barbie will not alter the appeal of the Marvels. 

On 9/1/2023 at 8:32 AM, drotto said:

Who is Marvel Barbie? Yes, they are totally going for the Barbie crowd here, by emphasizing the girl power vibe thinking it will bring in the same crowd in droves.  Again, missing the point that Barbie is possibly the most powerful female based IP out there, that was developed and has always been a female brand. It's core fans are almost 100% female. It partially became a phenomenon because this demographic felt neglected.  The MCU is a male IP that at its core.  Now, I think the MCU has much broader appeal among women than Barbie does with men, but the basic DNA of the IP is different. Marvel has been trying to broaden this demographic for years, with limited success. So the mere existence of Barbie will not alter the appeal of the Marvels. 

I can't speak for @paperheart, but I'm guessing he means the literal Barbie - who had a Marvel Comics series in the '90s. Thus, Barbie is technically a Marvel character.

I remember when this book hit the stands.

I am old.

Barbie 1.jpeg

On 9/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I can't speak for @paperheart, but I'm guessing he means the literal Barbie - who had a Marvel Comics series in the '90s. Thus, Barbie is technically a Marvel character.

I remember when this book hit the stands.

I am old.

Barbie 1.jpeg

Yeah, imagine the litigation that would result if they tried this. 

On 9/1/2023 at 5:32 AM, drotto said:

I don't know, I thought I had made her up but apparently not